NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't ignore it I asked why they do it is it to catch cheats?

In that Tedesco case it's not going to tell you he gets 150k from other sponsors and really earns 650k.

It will never give you the full story.
They do it for transparency so that when they see a stacked roster they can at least see how it is being pulled off.

Also stops the bullshit like when Cronk was a bargain buy at $600k, but somehow freed up $1m when he retired.

I didn't see the show so I can't comment on Anasta's reaction, but I am interested in the way that this would be expected to prove guilt.

If you publish each team's cap aren't they just going to add up to 12.1 million? The Storm's cap in 2010 would have added up to 9 million on the dot.

I can't see how it's going to uncover any shady deals. People will just get to critique pay rates- is he worth $750k conversations.

The other point is it's not going to give the full story, you'd read Reynolds is on $800k but it's not going to say that 9 give him $100k and Triple M give him $75,000.

So the $800k will be debated and really, he's on $975K. They're not going to publish those deals.

It's just like a nosy neighbour thing- wanting to know your neighbour's pay.

I'm almost certain that players have to declare all income streams, including third party deals, to the salary cap auditor. In fact I am sure of this, as players have been in strife before (eg, Hindmarsh didn't declare the earnings from his book???). And $BW hilariously signing one year deals so he didn't have to declare his off-season earnings (nothing suss).

So yeah, they have all the information to not only declare every player's salary under the cap, but also their total earnings and where it comes from. Whether they have the right to do so, probably not, but if players/managers have anything to hide, that's the exact point of making it public knowledge.

Plus other clubs can be like, wait a minute...he signed on there for 150k? We offered him 1.1 million - come on.

Exactly this. If guys are signing on with, say, the Roosters for $400k and it's on public record they have been offered multiple offers around the, say, $900k mark elsewhere...there's only so much "culture" is worth. It would also be enlightening if there are certain clubs who have a multitude of players worth well under their "market value" - like the Roosters' roster currently being valued by Fox at around $1M more than the next highest ($13M I think). That's a pretty large gap considering there's a salary cap, and the rest are spread fairly evenly (with a few bunches) from just under $9M to about $12M IIRC.

Slothfield reporting that the judging of the Dally M medal is getting an overhaul after the recent controversies.

so from now on each game will judged by two judges on a 3-2-1 basis, meaning players have the possibility of getting 6 points max per match.

the judges identities and which matches they actually judge will be kept secret. all we are being told is that they are former players with or without media commitments.

The changes involved the NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley and integrity unit boss Jason King.

Andrew Abdo said the changes were made as a result of an off-season review to “further enhance independence and objectivity in voting.”

-------------

and once again the NRL administration prove that they have no fucking idea about the game. because there hasn't been too any real controversy over the eventual winners of the award. it's the positional awards that have caused the controversy.

the NRL have again tried to over complicate things, probably to make it easier to manipulate the end results.

the simple fix is this: the positional awards should be based off the overall Dally medal count, with the player finishing the highest for their position wins the award. (you could also have a minimum game qualifier as well) for example a centre plays most of the season at centre (tallying well), but due do injuries plays one game in the back row, this centre wouldn't then be eligible for backrower of the year. etc

Slothfield reporting that the judging of the Dally M medal is getting an overhaul after the recent controversies.

so from now on each game will judged by two judges on a 3-2-1 basis, meaning players have the possibility of getting 6 points max per match.

the judges identities and which matches they actually judge will be kept secret. all we are being told is that they are former players with or without media commitments.

The changes involved the NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley and integrity unit boss Jason King.

Andrew Abdo said the changes were made as a result of an off-season review to “further enhance independence and objectivity in voting.”

-------------

and once again the NRL administration prove that they have no fucking idea about the game. because there hasn't been too any real controversy over the eventual winners of the award. it's the positional awards that have caused the controversy.

the NRL have again tried to over complicate things, probably to make it easier to manipulate the end results.

the simple fix is this: the positional awards should be based off the overall Dally medal count, with the player finishing the highest for their position wins the award. (you could also have a minimum game qualifier as well) for example a centre plays most of the season at centre (tallying well), but due do injuries plays one game in the back row, this centre wouldn't then be eligible for backrower of the year. etc
Controversies being that Cleary hasn't won a Dally M yet.

Secret voters eh... I'm wondering if Vlando himself is one of them??

I mean the NSWRL obviously know that keeping voters secret will only intensify conspiracy theorists, so instead of increasing transparency and accountability over the whole process they increase mystery, secrecy and controversy over the entire process, including doubling of points in a given round.

You can basically put Ginane narrating over a final round Dally M vote "Oh my words he's done it... Latrell has picked up 6 points in the final round to win the Dally M over 4 time winner Nathan Cleary... well this is amazing scenes"

NSWRL leaning more and more into the 'entertainment' business rather than an actual sporting competition and it's sad to see

I mean Matt Orford won it, Preston Campbell won it, Jack Wighton win it, so there are definitely some issues there. None of these guys were ever the best player in any given year even if they really good that year. But to make the voters secret with basically no criteria for who they are and no identification, who in their right mind thinks this is a way to increase transparency?

Controversies being that Cleary hasn't won a Dally M yet.

Secret voters eh... I'm wondering if Vlando himself is one of them??

I mean the NSWRL obviously know that keeping voters secret will only intensify conspiracy theorists, so instead of increasing transparency and ownership of the whole process they increase mystery, secrecy and controversy over the entire process, including doubling of points in a given round.

You can basically put Ginane narrating over a final round Dally M vote "Oh my words he's done it... Latrell has picked up 6 points in the final round to win the Dally M over 4 time winner Nathan Cleary... well this is amazing scenes"

NSWRL leaning more and more into the 'entertainment' business rather than an actual sporting competition and it's sad to see

Even if this happens it will still be a year behind the AFL. This is exactly what happened last year with a player who should have been ineligible winning despite being in a losing side in the very last game of the season in the game he should have been suspended for and didn’t particularly stand out in, scoring maximum points to win it over the guy who should have won it.

Peter Gentle has reportedly been hired as Manly Recruitment Manager

So funny listening to southerners on channel 9 footy show whining about how unfair the salary cap is for the Panthers and for being punished for develop talent, never hear a peep from them when a lot of other teams are. Then there is the whine about how the Dolphins should have got salary cap concessions to make their entry into the NRL easier.

So funny listening to southerners on channel 9 footy show whining about how unfair the salary cap is for the Panthers and for being punished for develop talent, never hear a peep from them when a lot of other teams are. Then there is the whine about how the Dolphins should have got salary cap concessions to make their entry into the NRL easier.
I agree with them about the dolphins bit though. Doesn’t have to be a huge amount just a little something to help get them on their feet. Most other sports do it with new franchises I’m pretty sure, well at least the afl does.

Going to be interesting because the Dolphins have a similar system to Penrith in a lot of ways. Wonder if they will be complaining the same when clubs inevitably take players away from them and lets face it, we have lost plenty of the years as well we invested in.

No matter how they want to dress it up, even with a cap concession clubs will still lose out of contract players because there will always be a team that will be willing to pay massive money for certain players.

I agree with them about the dolphins bit though. Doesn’t have to be a huge amount just a little something to help get them on their feet. Most other sports do it with new franchises I’m pretty sure, well at least the afl does.
And what benefit does the team that has been developing such players for years only to face tougher retainment conditions from a new side with the benefit of salary cap concessions they don't enjoy?

Wolfie also makes a good point, the Dolphins are a club with a very long established history in the game, they aren't a Titans side starting from the bottom up to develop a club and a junior base. I don't think in a situation like that the Dolphins really do need a leg up.

And what benefit does the team that has been developing such players for years only to face tougher retainment conditions from a new side with the benefit of salary cap concessions they don't enjoy?
I dunno. What benefits did the dolphins ever receive all the times players left them to play nrl? As I said, doesn’t have to be much but they were picked apart too before they joined remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Big Del
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Manifesto
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Tim K
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.