NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was able to go over there and train with a club on the off chance of playing I'd jump at it. There will be a fair amount of slog, but to experience the whole thing if even for a year is something that not everyone gets to do. The Brain drain never made it over there and failed when he came back here for the simple reason that he lacked the smarts. I mean dropping 20K and your passport to secure your freedom does not look good. Brains and being self-aware is the crucial area where Holmes will succeed where Hayne failed.

I missed this bolded part of the Hayne timeline. What's that about?

I missed this bolded part of the Hayne timeline. What's that about?

his bail for his current arrest for sexual assault

Last edited by a moderator:
My knowledge of the NFL comes from Little Giants - Just give it to icebox.

My knowledge of the NFL comes from the Waterboy. Valentine Holmes will be fine. I haven’t seen a tackle like that since Joe Montana

apparently they use the 40m dash as a bench mark.

the players Holmes will go up against (if he plays a similar position to what Hayne did) run the 40m dash in around 4.4secs compared to Holmes 4.6secs ... while also weighing over 14kg more than Holmes

he's still got 14KG of bitch ass pussy padding and protective wear to put on yet.

Pretty valid spray from Gallen, I wouldn't be against any players who walks out on the game (who are already under contract) being banned "x" amount of years.

Pretty valid spray from Gallen, I wouldn't be against any players who walks out on the game (who are already under contract) being banned "x" amount of years.

While I don't disagree to a point, what about self confessed drug cheats like Peptide Paul being allowed to play again. Seems walking away from a contract is worse than cheating to get an advantage in his book.

Technically though, Holmes asked for a release and got it. I guess he didn't walk away and break his contract.

Last edited:
While I don't disagree to a point, what about self confessed drug cheats like Peptide Paul being allowed to play again. Seems walking away from a contract is worse than cheating to get an advantage in his book.

Technically though, Holmes asked for a release and got it. I guess he didn't walk away and break his contract.
Exactly.

The Sharks could have played hard ball and made Holmes honour the final year of his contract. He asked for a release and was given one, can't call the guy a criminal for that.

Peptide Paul really is a grubby hypocrite of a thing isn't he [emoji35]

Gal just knows this is the beginning of the slide back into mediocrity for the Sharks. Isn’t he about to break the record for losses next year?

Didn't Gallen's Sharks sign Segeyero who broke a contract?

Gal just knows this is the beginning of the slide back into mediocrity for the Sharks. Isn’t he about to break the record for losses next year?

Oh yes he is and I am so excited. I was worried he would call it quits at the end of last season and fall just short.

My mate at work is a Raiders fan and we have a couple of beers set aside to be cracked when he reaches this great milestone.

[HASHTAG]#fuckgallen[/HASHTAG]

the quicker this **** retires the better

Smith has asked for a 2 year deal from the Storm. Interesting how they will go about it with Smith junior expecting more game time and to be first pick in 2020

I should have known something was up after Valentine Holmes took one of the all-time greatest interceptions in Origin history. It's bad news for the Maroons though - intercepts were just about the best play Kevie came up with.

I'm not as well versed as others in regards to the NFL, but I can't see him working in any position. He'll at most be a special teams player ala Hayne so this whole deal just sounds like a ploy to boost his profile in Australian sports. With players like Jarryd Hayne, Israel Folau, Sonny Bill Williams, Anthony Mundine etc. it seems like managers have cottoned on that having a client who has experience in multiple sports can attract more third party sponsers.

15 or so years ago, it was the ARU with all the World Cup interest, now it's the NFL and the potential to jump on the Aussie invasion with Hayne, Ben Simmons and company.

That's a tough break for Cronulla. They finally found their fullback and had one of the most dangerous players in the game and now they're back on the search. I presume Dugan would be the front-runner, but surely he'd only be the stop-gap. I wonder if they end up going with Matt Moylan at 1 and bring Kyle Flanagan in the halves? It probably wouldn't gel too well, Flanagan and Townsend are similar style of players, but Flanagan will likely make the 17 in some form or fashion.

The prospect of Kyle & Shane Flanagan taking on Nathan & Ivan Cleary in Round 6 & 21 almost feels inevitable.

Maybe Val just has a burning desire to see if he can do it.
He has played Origin, Tests and has a GF ring so he figures having a crack at a reasonably early age is the best option.
Even if he burns 4 years he will be 28 when he returns. It seems he has thought it through as well as possible to give himself every chance to return and play 3-4 seasons if it all turns to shit.

I just remember something Gus was saying about the new breed of player and how they're ultra professional almost to a fault. Maybe it's just the way I read into what he was saying, but it seemed like the players now are more concerned about their image now more than ever and their own brand. It's no longer about the team, it's about being as marketable as possible so they can earn more money.

As Valentine said the other day, this 'burning desire' only dates back two years and it's more about challenging himself as an athlete. If he was seriously passionate about this desire, then surely he would have had some kind of background? This just strikes me as a business decision.

As you said Dex, he's reached the pinnacle of the NRL, so what more can he add to his profile? I can't blame him, if I was that talented I'd be making hay while the sun was shining, but I question whether he's thought this through.

Either way, it's certainly an interesting period for Rugby League. If Holmes happens to achieve more than Hayne, I wonder how many Australians and Kiwis begin looking at Gridiron as an alternative career path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.