NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF and of course it is a big IF this occurs (I actually think he is posturing for a pay rise), it would be interesting to see what this means for the Roosters moving forward. There are just some little signs that have been building up in recent seasons that Uncle Nick doesn't have the same clout (money in paper bags) he once did.

top teams don't throw $2 million + at any player (under the current cap) ... because that's how you **** up your cap and screw up any chance at winning a thing.

Teams like your Tigers and Bulldogs are the ones that take that route.
Who else is on the market? The rorters pride themselves on poaching guns to replace guns and aren’t afraid to throw insane cash around (granted a lot of it appears to be off the cap).

I don’t think he’ll go, especially not with his mates at the club taking unders, but the rorters sniffing around the market with cash to spend is a scary thought.

Who else is on the market? The rorters pride themselves on poaching guns to replace guns and aren’t afraid to throw insane cash around (granted a lot of it appears to be off the cap).

I don’t think he’ll go, especially not with his mates at the club taking unders, but the rorters sniffing around the market with cash to spend is a scary thought.

There are quite a few good young players off contract at the end of 2025 ... including their own Sam Walker and Brandon Smith

In all seriousness, between his family links to this area and his natural loyalties to the Broncos, it would take something extraordinarily seismic to shift Walsh away from the Broncos

What about a truckload of brown paper bags?

I don't think Manu is going to be the only one.

You'd think Uncle Nick would line up a job for Teddy somewhere next year so that Joey could get a pay rise and be paid fullback money under the cap alongside the paper bags.

You'd think Uncle Nick would line up a job for Teddy somewhere next year so that Joey could get a pay rise and be paid fullback money under the cap alongside the paper bags.
I wonder if it's maybe a sign that Robbo doesn't want that style of fullback anymore 🤔🤔

He's had success with Teddy and his limited passing game, but Teddy looks like Lockyer compared to Manu... who seems to only pass via a flick pass offload.

Rorters haven't really achieved the kind of success they would be expecting basically since they went back to back in 18/19... the quicker game looked to suit Teddy in 2020 and 2021, but teams are catching up defensively and fitness wise, and I don't think they've made a prelim final since 2019 🤔🤔

When other teams have elite ball players at fullback in Ponga, Walsh, Latrell, etc. that might be more where he wants to head... instead of Manu who will take 25 hitups for 300m, but isn't exactly going to pick apart the top opposition defences.

He'll always want him as a centre that can play fullback if injuries occur, but fullback is becoming one of the most important positions on the attacking side of the ball and they need to have some sort of ball playing nowadays.

Another fullback who could be on rorters hitlist who might be somewhat attainable and is finally being recognised is Drinkwater.. he's also a NSW'men living in Qld... might be easier to coax out... they might've missed the boat though with cows locking him down... contracts can always be broken though

I wonder if it's maybe a sign that Robbo doesn't want that style of fullback anymore 🤔🤔

He's had success with Teddy and his limited passing game, but Teddy looks like Lockyer compared to Manu... who seems to only pass via a flick pass offload.

Rorters haven't really achieved the kind of success they would be expecting basically since they went back to back in 18/19... the quicker game looked to suit Teddy in 2020 and 2021, but teams are catching up defensively and fitness wise, and I don't think they've made a prelim final since 2019 🤔🤔

When other teams have elite ball players at fullback in Ponga, Walsh, Latrell, etc. that might be more where he wants to head... instead of Manu who will take 25 hitups for 300m, but isn't exactly going to pick apart the top opposition defences.

He'll always want him as a centre that can play fullback if injuries occur, but fullback is becoming one of the most important positions on the attacking side of the ball and they need to have some sort of ball playing nowadays.

Another fullback who could be on rorters hitlist who might be somewhat attainable and is finally being recognised is Drinkwater.. he's also a NSW'men living in Qld... might be easier to coax out... they might've missed the boat though with cows locking him down... contracts can always be broken though

If they want to go young Ethan King has been at the Roosters now since 2021. They got him from Ipswich Grammar in year 12.

He's played 28 Cup games now and was captain last year. He is Matt King's nephew.

They've put the work into him, he's mates with Sam Walker and he's developed nicely in Cup.

King was fullback and Sam half in Ipswich's Meninga team in 2019. They had a good combination. He's got a beautiful passing game.

I reckon this will be the Roosters plan, something like this anyway:

1. Tedesco (2025) -> Papenheuzen
2. Young (2027)
3. Smith (2024) -> May
4. Manu (extend)
5. Tupou (2024) -> Nawaqanitawase
6. Walker (extend)
7. Keary (2024) -> S.Smith (unless better option becomes available to poach)
8. Waerea-Hargreaves (2024) -> Whyte (unless better option becomes available for poaching) / E.Butcher
9. B.Smith (extend unless better option becomes available for poaching)
10. Collins
11. Crichton (2024) -> N.Butcher
12. Tupouniua (2027)
13. Radley (2027)

14. Watson/S.Smith
15. Leniu (2025)
16. May (extend and bring in brothers)
17. Whyte/E.Butcher

So if I were other clubs, I'd be locking up my gun fullbacks, centres, props and halfbacks - these are the positions the Roosters will come sniffing for.

Here's looking at you:

Fullback - @BroncsFan suggestion - Drinkwater BUT...I reckon the front runner they will be chasing here is...Papenheuzen. Think about it, Faalogo is the Storm's future here but Paps is taking up a lot of money. This works for both teams.

Centre - They'll extend Manu, I would be so surprised if they don't but if they don't, well guess who has the best two biggest names in the league off contract at the same time - that's right - us. I am sure the Roosters will chase May though so they can also keep his brother. So if that happens and they extend Manu, then everyone else can breathe a sigh of relief. If they don't extend Manu, then Staggs becomes their focus, I'm sure of it.

Props - The Roosters have a lot of serviceable blokes here with Collins as the legit leader of the pack. JWH is on his last legs though and Leniu is only good for 15 mins a game. So they will be chasing another big name here for 2025/2026. Signing the May brothers will help with this, as the big guy looks a potential gun but you know the Roosters, money is no issue for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign one of the Molo bros in the interim but neither will break the bank account. 2025 though, don't be surprised to see them come for any of Hetherington, Willison, Hopgood, RCG, Cotter, Thompson, Greig, Neame and my pick for who they will really chase - Utoikamanu. I reckon they will be chasing Utoikamanu and RCG. Parra need to re-distribute their salary cap and that forward pack is aging, RCG would be a short-term option for the Roosters while their young poached kids develop so they might go for both these blokes.

Halfbacks - This is not just an issue for the Roosters, it is an issue for every single club not named Penrith. Basically you have a halves pecking order:
1. Cleary
2. A bunch of old blokes who are coming to an end - Reynolds, Hunt, DCE, Keary
3. Moses
4. Daylight
I actually don't know what the Roosters or any club do here. If they choose to not show faith in S.Smith, maybe they extend Keary and hope he doesn't get any more head knocks. Otherwise, they like everyone else are going to have to take a punt on someone and for me, it would ironically be Gamble or Hastings. They will probably try and poach someone else's highly rated kid though - a Pezet or a Weaver or a Schneider or a Duffy.

I reckon this will be the Roosters plan, something like this anyway:

1. Tedesco (2025) -> Papenheuzen
2. Young (2027)
3. Smith (2024) -> May
4. Manu (extend)
5. Tupou (2024) -> Nawaqanitawase
6. Walker (extend)
7. Keary (2024) -> S.Smith (unless better option becomes available to poach)
8. Waerea-Hargreaves (2024) -> Whyte (unless better option becomes available for poaching) / E.Butcher
9. B.Smith (extend unless better option becomes available for poaching)
10. Collins
11. Crichton (2024) -> N.Butcher
12. Tupouniua (2027)
13. Radley (2027)

14. Watson/S.Smith
15. Leniu (2025)
16. May (extend and bring in brothers)
17. Whyte/E.Butcher

So if I were other clubs, I'd be locking up my gun fullbacks, centres, props and halfbacks - these are the positions the Roosters will come sniffing for.

Here's looking at you:

Fullback - @BroncsFan suggestion - Drinkwater BUT...I reckon the front runner they will be chasing here is...Papenheuzen. Think about it, Faalogo is the Storm's future here but Paps is taking up a lot of money. This works for both teams.

Centre - They'll extend Manu, I would be so surprised if they don't but if they don't, well guess who has the best two biggest names in the league off contract at the same time - that's right - us. I am sure the Roosters will chase May though so they can also keep his brother. So if that happens and they extend Manu, then everyone else can breathe a sigh of relief. If they don't extend Manu, then Staggs becomes their focus, I'm sure of it.

Props - The Roosters have a lot of serviceable blokes here with Collins as the legit leader of the pack. JWH is on his last legs though and Leniu is only good for 15 mins a game. So they will be chasing another big name here for 2025/2026. Signing the May brothers will help with this, as the big guy looks a potential gun but you know the Roosters, money is no issue for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign one of the Molo bros in the interim but neither will break the bank account. 2025 though, don't be surprised to see them come for any of Hetherington, Willison, Hopgood, RCG, Cotter, Thompson, Greig, Neame and my pick for who they will really chase - Utoikamanu. I reckon they will be chasing Utoikamanu and RCG. Parra need to re-distribute their salary cap and that forward pack is aging, RCG would be a short-term option for the Roosters while their young poached kids develop so they might go for both these blokes.

Halfbacks - This is not just an issue for the Roosters, it is an issue for every single club not named Penrith. Basically you have a halves pecking order:
1. Cleary
2. A bunch of old blokes who are coming to an end - Reynolds, Hunt, DCE, Keary
3. Moses
4. Daylight
I actually don't know what the Roosters or any club do here. If they choose to not show faith in S.Smith, maybe they extend Keary and hope he doesn't get any more head knocks. Otherwise, they like everyone else are going to have to take a punt on someone and for me, it would ironically be Gamble or Hastings. They will probably try and poach someone else's highly rated kid though - a Pezet or a Weaver or a Schneider or a Duffy.
Brave man signing paps now imo

Oh actually one option I didn't put in there but an article on Zero Tackle made me think about is, JT2 could be someone the Roosters might choose to pursue. Payten really isn't managing him well and you could imagine a number of clubs will watch that with interest. The Cows also likely want his salary off their books.

Luciano Leilua has apparently been given permission to negotiate with other clubs and asking for $900k. Haha delusional.

Going back to Kograh is the rumour I heard .

Going back to Kograh is the rumour I heard .

Even they, who are signing everyone no one else wants, have said no at that ridiculous price point. He isn't even worth half of what he wants.

Even they, who are signing everyone no one else wants, have said no at that ridiculous price point. He isn't even worth half of what he wants.
And yet cows will somehow manage to dump his current terrible contract off to someone...

And yet cows will somehow manage to dump his current terrible contract off to someone...
Dont think flanagans that silly to take on 900k maybe half cant see any clubs taking him on lol

Dont think flanagans that silly to take on 900k maybe half cant see any clubs taking him on lol

900K is a bit much .
When he`s good he`s TPJ good though .
Slice off the pre season payment part of his contract . There is a discount .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.