NRL Players and family members in hot water

Didn't the Raiders sack another bloke for being Todd Carney's passenger while Carney just got a slap on the wrist?

Well my entire point was that they should have been punished more on all fronts. The law, the media, the fans. Yes Carney got sacked but he also got 8 chances or something. The final straw was getting photographed pissing in his own mouth, he was only suspended from the Raiders for drink driving.

Yeah it is pretty poor, I agree with you. Drink driving and endangering other people's lives - have a couple of weeks' break.

Urinate into your own mouth and harm only yourself, that's it buddy, you're gone!

Drink driving is severely under criticized by rugby league fans. I honestly think that what Williams did is just as bad as what Lodge did.

Lol. Peak rugby league team fandom comment.

A few news articles and a small fine isn't good enough. They aren't punished on the level they should be. Josh Papalii has done it a couple of times, Paul Carter did it a couple of times, Carney and Locke did it, even Paul McGregor. All of these blokes should have copped more of a punishment for their actions.
No, they should cop the same punishment as any other member of the public, no more, no less. **** the pathetic role model bullshit, if a magistrate or member of parliament or superstar ceo did it they too should be treated as any other person.

No, they should cop the same punishment as any other member of the public, no more, no less. **** the pathetic role model bullshit, if a magistrate or member of parliament or superstar ceo did it they too should be treated as any other person.
Members of public need to be punished more for drink driving too. Some punishments are ridiculous

Im not a fan of Lodge. Drink driving kills people

No doubting the seriousness of drink driving but what Lodge did was way worse. His conduct actually had an impact on other people. It is probably still impacting those peoples' lives today.

No doubting the seriousness of drink driving but what Lodge did was way worse. His conduct actually had an impact on other people. It is probably still impacting those peoples' lives today.

Yeah, I choose to take that emotional suffering crap with a grain of salt when lawsuits are involved.

Yeah, I choose to take that emotional suffering crap with a grain of salt when lawsuits are involved.
Partially agree with that Nashy. There is no doubt the significance of an impact is frequently overblown. There is however tremendous ongoing emotional impact after some events. My Mum had a local enter her house while she was watering her garden and despite being a strong woman over her lifetime she still was apprehensive for many years after. It shook her to the core and she was most definitely not the type to be shaken easily. She felt nervous and violated, her safety zone never felt as safe again.

A man the size of Lodge off his head and being aggressive barges into your place at night, being unpredictable, that would leave a lasting impact I'd assume.

Cars are pretty damn big too. Imagine being a child in one of them with your drunk father driving or worse, being beside or in front of that car.

absolutely... i wonder who he has rolled on this time???

Couldn’t prove the possession element of the charge.

Scenario:

Police walk into the alleyway, two men are standing there and a bag of coke is lying on the ground between them. Whose bag is it? Hey wait a minute, one of these guys looks like Karmichael Hunt... He is that famous guy who is said to love his coke...

Detain both and search. Both deny ownership of said bag of coke and make no further admissions or denials.

Karmichael has another drug on him, other guy has nothing. Clearly the drug on the ground must be Karmichael’s. Seize the bag, give Karmichael a notice to appear in court and an identifying particulars notice to get to a police station in 7 days and have your fingerprints and photograph taken. Probably a DNA sample notice too.

Take the drugs to the exhibit office and lodge. Check the bag out and take it to the scenes of crime office, complete a drug transfer with the forensic officer and send the drugs off for analysis and the CSPB for fingerprinting / DNA testing.

Karmichael’s prints and / or DNA are not found on this CSPB and maybe no-one else’s are either. Maybe not and someone else was charged as well?

Karmichael fails to attend the nominated police station within 7 days for unknown reasons and is given a notice to appear in court for contravening a police requirement.

Quick chat to the Prosecutors - there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Karmichael possessed the bag of cocaine - charge likely to be withdrawn on this basis as suggested by Mr Magill, the Principal of a big time law firm in Brisbane, the lawyer on retainer to advise the Qld Reds and occasionally the Brisbane Broncos and a man who himself has had plenty of legal hurdles to overcome.

Other 2 charges to continue prosecution.

Something along those lines occurred, I would suggest...

Last edited:
My problem with that scenario is why give him a Court Notice if it’s obvious there is no evidence? If his fingerprints show up on the bag, do him for it then?

Partially agree with that Nashy. There is no doubt the significance of an impact is frequently overblown. There is however tremendous ongoing emotional impact after some events. My Mum had a local enter her house while she was watering her garden and despite being a strong woman over her lifetime she still was apprehensive for many years after. It shook her to the core and she was most definitely not the type to be shaken easily. She felt nervous and violated, her safety zone never felt as safe again.
Yes, there is definitely a significant and often severe psychological impact in such situations.
I have an example right in my home, where my missus has nightmares and anxiety about our home safety, which increased after 2 break-ins (in one of them, my 15 y/old son woke up to a burglar grabbing his smart phone from his night-stand), albeit without further violence involved. But all of it stems back to her brother's gruesome murder, which she fortunately did not directly witness, but still marked her for life.

Of course, @Nashy is also right about the enticement for financial reward, especially in good old US of A, where people will milk their emotional distress for all its worth...

My problem with that scenario is why give him a Court Notice if it’s obvious there is no evidence? If his fingerprints show up on the bag, do him for it then?

There was. A circumstantial case, just not a particularly strong one.

Personally I think players should be expected to be held to a higher standard, as unlike others, their actions have a lasting impact on the game's reputation, not just the player or even the club.
That said, there is an evident injustice at throwing the book at a fringe player who committs a misdemeanour and rug sweeping exercise given to some star players.
I'd also say that players, even flawed ones are also human beings that need support in times of crisis, even of their making.
To me it would seem preferable that players are judged equally for off-field incidents. With that in mind, perhaps suspensions and dismissals be handled by a body external to the club, with punishments for clubs that fail to co-operate.
In the case of dismissal a period of severance, rather than instant dissmissal, with set protocols for reform, allowing the player to find alternative work and to seek assistance, depending upon its nature. This would be a good avenue for the players association to involve itself.
I'm sure some of these things are in play, by individual clubs, but the inconsistency of clubs management of players to me seems to the detriment of the game itself.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bert_lifts
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncotville
  • Old Mate
  • the_next
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncosgirl
  • johnny plath
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • The True King
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.