Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Badel tells a bedtime story about Darius. The subtext cuts a different way:

"SACKED Broncos skipper Darius Boyd has been a maligned figure over the past 12 months but his conduct as an ambassador for the NRL is first class. Boyd had a poor game in last week’s trial loss to the Titans and was later subjected to some horrendous abuse as he walked off Dolphin Stadium. One spectator walked right up to Boyd and shouted words in his face that cannot be repeated here. Some sportsmen would have easily snapped. To his credit, Boyd copped it on the chin and headed up the tunnel without a word or incident. As a 317-game servant, Boyd deserves better. A rogue fan also gave Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford a spray at the game."

McHunt

Last edited:
Feel the exact same way mate.

Thought the 58-0 finals drubbing would bring on the change we have been desperate for in years and was excited for the bloodbath that would ensue to start moving forward.

Unfortunately the bloodbath was more like a paper cut and the only culling of the team was the forced retirement of Matt Gillett, Segeyaro and some half decent fringe forwards which would have come in handy right about now. Mago would have been handy for this one.

On paper our team is worse than last season. Granted I think Croft is a great addition and am backing him to the hilt, but when you consider what we paid for him and for what we lost in the off season, it is still very underwhelming. Doesn’t help that we now have to accommodate an injury plagued Kahu who will be lucky to even play NRL again. We should be thankful Lodge isn’t out for the season because if he was, I reckon we struggle to make the 8. We have zero depth and we will be lucky if we can even keep Jack Bird on the park. There is still way too much problems with our cap to even build our team for the future. This had better be the end of Boyd, Kahu and Macca for good after this year.

For us to have a good year this year with this current, we need a lot of things to go right as we just don’t have the mental toughness or defense to win consistently.

So far this off season we’ve had the following:

- Almost lost Lodge for the year
- Captain Alex Glenn hamstring injury
- Having to take Kahu back on decent coin just to do rehab
- Segeyaro gone for taking drugs
- Perese gone for selling drugs
- Ofahengaue suspended for first 2 games
- Boyd and Macca being guaranteed a spot in the 17 again
- Issako losing all confidence during the trials

Literally the only positives was signing Croft and even then that was a fucking haggle. Arthurs was a handy pick up but was a bargain basement signing. And Matt Gillett retiring when he knew he couldn’t play at a first grade level anymore *take a hint Darius*

I now have severely lowered my expectations because I already feel it is going to be more of the same again and the whole Darius circus will drag on yet a fucking gain. Already the ‘this is the fittest Darius has ever been’ and ‘Milford is looking the best he ever has’ articles ad nauseum have literally made me detest the season kicking off knowing that this time I am not falling for the bullshit media talk anymore and am going into this season dreading it already. The positivity was sucked dry last season and all the credits have been used up.

Granted I still won’t accept mediocrity nor will I spend my hard earned to attend any games this year unless I see actual progress after what the club put it’s fans through last year.
You missed the looming coronavirus. Has the potential to cancel the season.

This is what happens when you don’t at least consider the fans.

I'm not so sure its a good thing to listen to the fans. The coach for good or bad needs his own mind, he shouldnt be taking what the fans want into consideration imo. I actually think abusing a bloke like that is pretty poor in some ways as he would know the players cant really fire back at them.

As far as Boyd goes, I'm still happy enough to give him a couple of game to show us some positive signs. I dont think we need to give him any more than that really.

Last edited:

"SACKED Broncos skipper Darius Boyd has been a maligned figure over the past 12 months but his conduct as an ambassador for the NRL is first class. Boyd had a poor game in last week’s trial loss to the Titans and was later subjected to some horrendous abuse as he walked off Dolphin Stadium. One spectator walked right up to Boyd and shouted words in his face that cannot be repeated here. Some sportsmen would have easily snapped. To his credit, Boyd copped it on the chin and headed up the tunnel without a word or incident. As a 317-game servant, Boyd deserves better. A rogue fan also gave Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford a spray at the game."

McHunt

Know one doubts he is a great guy, he clearly is. As a person I have huge respect for him and he is one of the players I would most like to have a beer with. That being said fans shouldn’t be made to feel guilty because they don’t want to see him on the footy field anymore because of how poor his performances are.

Feel the exact same way mate.

Thought the 58-0 finals drubbing would bring on the change we have been desperate for in years and was excited for the bloodbath that would ensue to start moving forward.

Unfortunately the bloodbath was more like a paper cut and the only culling of the team was the forced retirement of Matt Gillett, Segeyaro and some half decent fringe forwards which would have come in handy right about now. Mago would have been handy for this one.

On paper our team is worse than last season. Granted I think Croft is a great addition and am backing him to the hilt, but when you consider what we paid for him and for what we lost in the off season, it is still very underwhelming. Doesn’t help that we now have to accommodate an injury plagued Kahu who will be lucky to even play NRL again. We should be thankful Lodge isn’t out for the season because if he was, I reckon we struggle to make the 8. We have zero depth and we will be lucky if we can even keep Jack Bird on the park. There is still way too much problems with our cap to even build our team for the future. This had better be the end of Boyd, Kahu and Macca for good after this year.

For us to have a good year this year with this current, we need a lot of things to go right as we just don’t have the mental toughness or defense to win consistently.

So far this off season we’ve had the following:

- Almost lost Lodge for the year
- Captain Alex Glenn hamstring injury
- Having to take Kahu back on decent coin just to do rehab
- Segeyaro gone for taking drugs
- Perese gone for selling drugs
- Ofahengaue suspended for first 2 games
- Boyd and Macca being guaranteed a spot in the 17 again
- Issako losing all confidence during the trials

Literally the only positives was signing Croft and even then that was a fucking haggle. Arthurs was a handy pick up but was a bargain basement signing. And Matt Gillett retiring when he knew he couldn’t play at a first grade level anymore *take a hint Darius*

I now have severely lowered my expectations because I already feel it is going to be more of the same again and the whole Darius circus will drag on yet a fucking gain. Already the ‘this is the fittest Darius has ever been’ and ‘Milford is looking the best he ever has’ articles ad nauseum have literally made me detest the season kicking off knowing that this time I am not falling for the bullshit media talk anymore and am going into this season dreading it already. The positivity was sucked dry last season and all the credits have been used up.

Granted I still won’t accept mediocrity nor will I spend my hard earned to attend any games this year unless I see actual progress after what the club put it’s fans through last year.

All this before a balls been kicked! Pick those expectations up mate .. We’ll do ok this year. I’ve coughed up my hard earned on a season ticket yet again and bought one for my daughter too. Can see where your coming from but a decent first 3 rounds can give us something to hang onto for a decent ride.

McHunt
Stop the presses Pete.

Football fans yell abuse at football players.

What a hot scoop

Sadly, I think this is actually a very realistic possibility.
I’m trying to picture a scenario where it’s not a certainty. All it will take is one player to test positive and the whole show will be over. Still hopeful though.

What if a player tests positive to the flu? Will they cancel the season for that too?

I guess part of the answer to your question may be that there is a vaccine for the flu albeit it is not universally effective but substantially so, while COVID-19 is new, no vaccine for at least 12 months, and an unknown quantity in many ways which scares the hell out of most people, including me.

Last edited:
I guess part of the answer to your question may be that there is a vaccine for the flu albeit it is not universally effective but substantially so, while COVID-19 is new, no vaccine for at least 12 months, and an unknown quantity in many ways which scares the hell out of most people, including me.

A vaccine isn’t a cure and plenty of people get the flu vaccine yet it still has a greater mortality rate each year than the coronavirus has had or looks to have based on the trends. So if it is a certainty that the season will be cancelled as some people are claiming how do we ever have a season of football?

Last edited:
Know one doubts he is a great guy, he clearly is. As a person I have huge respect for him and he is one of the players I would most like to have a beer with. That being said fans shouldn’t be made to feel guilty because they don’t want to see him on the footy field anymore because of how poor his performances are.
They shouldn't feel guilty for not wanting him in the tean, but the ***** who want to cross the line into personal abuse can get fucked.

A vaccine isn’t a cure and plenty of people get the flu vaccine yet it still has a greater mortality rate each year than the coronavirus has had or looks to have based on the trends. So if it is a certainty that the season will be cancelled as some people are claiming how do we ever have a season of football?

Maybe because the fact that there is a flu vaccine, and that the flu is a known quantity, reassures a lot of people, The global hysteria about this virus doesn't help, justified it might be. Anyway, it will be devastating if the season is cancelled.

I'm not so sure its a good thing to listen to the fans. The coach for good or bad needs his own mind, he shouldnt be taking what the fans want into consideration imo. I actually think abusing a bloke like that is pretty poor in some ways as he would know the players cant really fire back at them.

As far as Boyd goes, I'm still happy enough to give him a couple of game to show us some positive signs. I dont think we need to give him any more than that really.
I tend to agree. I think it's pretty cowardly when you're just a nobody with nothing to lose, you've probably spent the last two or three hours sinking a gut full of the piss and you're abusing someone who's just exhausted themsevles for 80 minutes who you know literally cannot say a word back to you or they'd risk their livelihood.

It's no different to walking into any other workplace and berating or abusing a staff member knowing full well they'd lose their job if they fought back. It's just weak.

Last edited:
Are you sure?
https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html
Death rate
The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.
Morbidity is also a problem:
Typical flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, muscle aches, headaches, runny or stuffy nose, fatigue and, sometimes, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the CDC. Flu symptoms often come on suddenly. Most people who get the flu will recover in less than two weeks. But in some people, the flu causes complications, including pneumonia. So far this flu season, about 1% of people in the United States have developed symptoms severe enough to be hospitalized, which is similar to the rate last season, according to data from the CDC.

Another recent study, considered the largest on COVID-19 cases to date, researchers from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Protection, analyzed 44,672 confirmed cases in China between Dec. 31, 09 and Feb. 11, 2020. Of those cases, 80.9% (or 36,160 cases) were considered mild, 13.8% (6,168 cases) severe and 4.7% (2,087) critical. "Critical cases were those that exhibited respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction/failure," the researchers wrote in the paper published in China CDC Weekly.

If you believe Danny Weidler, Darius Boyd has told his team mates last night (assuming at the season launch) that he will hang the boots up at the end of the 2020 season.

If you believe Danny Weidler, Darius Boyd has told his team mates last night (assuming at the season launch) that he will hang the boots up at the end of the 2020 season.

Confirmed by Chris Garry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.