NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they’re currently being investigated will the contract be accepted? I just don’t see how they can afford him because they lost a winger. They’ve added Woods and Moylan to a team that was apparently over the cap

Woods would have been subsidised, which is why they could get him last year without releasing anyone, but his contracts from then on would be full value. Moylan was essentially a swap for Maloney though.

Mole is now saying SJ is only available on a
one year deal suggesting he's signed elsewhere for 2020. My money would be on the Rorters.

Roosters cap management logic aside, why would the sharks even want him with Flanno jr there? He’s rated highly, why not play him and move Moylan to the back? With the state of Graham’s body and Lewis gone I’d be looking for a second rower if I was the Sharks (Hess if he’s available would be good for them). Despite being under a cap investigation, they’ll probably be able to manage SJ and a rep 2rf tho. It amazes me how the cows, rorters, sharks, etc can make constant big name signings; Knights are inching closer as well.

Last edited:
Mole is now saying SJ is only available on a
one year deal suggesting he's signed elsewhere for 2020. My money would be on the Rorters.

Probably bang on, with this being Cronk's last year.

SJ is similar to Keary though, neither are really game managers.

Probably bang on, with this being Cronk's last year.

SJ is similar to Keary though, neither are really game managers.
So they’ll just release Keary and sign whoever they need to fill the spot.

Is that New York team still happening? Didn’t SJ express some interest in going there if it gets up?

Crazy few days of transfer news.

On Napa, that 700K figure he was reportedly on was one of the key reasons I was suspicious of the Roosters. I remember when that figure broke out, it just made you think if Napa was on that much, how much is Warea-Hargreaves, Cordner etc. on. Regardless, I think it's a great move by the Roosters. Napa was a solid prospect that had lost his way in recent years. His sloppy defence had no place in that team and they're better off giving a player like Lindsay Collins more of an opportunity than Napa. I'm sure they'll go ahead and sign a player like Taupau, but even if they don't, I can't see them skipping a beat.

For the Bulldogs, it seems like a case of them just having to sign somebody. On paper, signing a player of Napa's profile sounds good but I believe they've signed a bill of false goods. I admired how Pay was able to turn a bad situation and find some positives, but I'm beginning to lose faith in his player management. Fair enough Moses Mbye, The Morris Twins, Aaron Woods, Greg Eastwood etc. had to go, but who's come in? The one signing that stands out to me is Corey Harawira-Naera, and I'm not sure how they're going to make that work with Josh Jackson playing in his position.

Newcastle are the big winners out of the situation and must surely be genuine top four contenders with that roster. They've got two great playmakers now in Ponga and Pearce, they've got the best front row forward carting the ball up and some quality players like Ramien, Ese'ese etc. who should be hitting their prime. Brown has been shown tremendous patience, 2019 has to be the year he starts delivering results.

The loss of Johnson must surely see the Warriors bow out of contention for 2019. Even though he didn't play a crucial role in their 2018 success, he still had his moments and the mere threat of Johnson was enough to keep defensive lines at bay. With Lino gone, the Warriors are going to have to rely on Channel Harris-Tavita, a talented up and comer but also incredibly green.

SJ's destination is a strange one with so many rosters seemingly finalised. Cronulla appear to be the favourites with Holmes on the outer. Townsend and Johnson aren't strangers, Chad spent some time at the Warriors several years ago, where they formed a relatively mediocre pairing. Townsend has improved a lot since then, but it isn't like the MegaPowers are forming again. Canberra appear to be in the mix as well, but if you're Johnson, you're worried about Ricky's track record with halves and the mediocre Raiders pack. The other names being floated around are Parramatta and Sydney but that appears to be for 2020. Honestly if I'm in charge of a club's roster, I'm not sure if I'd pay for Johnson's gap year.

Finally if Widdop wants out at the Dragons, you can kiss their next couple of seasons goodbye. Widdop & Hunt formed a quality combination and it was one of the few areas the Dragons had an edge over the competition. A huge loss if it comes to fruition and I'd be prepared to write the Dragons off for the next couple of seasons if it came to pass.

If he's only available for a year, no way.

Is it true Jayden Nickorima has signed with Dolphins 2019 ?

The key is that they've signed him to a three year deal. If it had have been a one year deal as initially speculated it would have been a disaster as he would have had one eye on the Roosters.

I still feel like it's a square peg into a round hole type of signing. What made Valentine Holmes such a special player was his ability to make plays deep inside his own half. Whether it was picking up a grubber on the half volley and racing 15m or catching the markers out from dummy half, Holmes provided the Sharks with a real edge. Presumably if Moylan moves to 1, the Sharks will lose that, making it difficult for Johnson to even involve himself in the contest.

They could move Dugan to 1, but it remains to be seen who will play in the centres. With Leutele, Ramien gone, it leaves Josh Morris, Kurt Capewell and Aaron Gray as the only viable options. At this stage of his career, Capewell is better in the backrow and Gray has yet to prove himself in first grade. They'll have to hope that Bronson Xerri and Jackson Ferris come of age sooner than they would have hoped. It also means that somebody between Moylan, Townsend and Johnson will miss out, making it an unrealistic option.

On the plus side, we haven't really seen what Johnson can do behind a strong pack before. Playing for NZ, Johnson always appeared to be a much better player when he had Bromwich, Taumalolo, Taupau etc. to play off of. With Fifita, Woods, Graham, Gallen etc. there he'll walk into a better pack than what he had at the Warriors and will have more opportunities to play off of second phase. If he can make the most of the limited opportunities, he could easily cement himself among the game's elite, but it's a really tough ask. There will be games where Cronulla may only get six shots at scoring, if the team doesn't deliver, all the blame will be on Johnson.

Last edited:
Whilst they don't mention money I'm sure Johnson didn't come cheap, am I the only one who finds it bizarre that a club who is running at a loss, with no sponsors or money, still throws dollars at players.

How this fits in with the ethical running of a sustainable business/club is beyond me.

Whilst they don't mention money I'm sure Johnson didn't come cheap, am I the only one who finds it bizarre that a club who is running at a loss, with no sponsors or money, still throws dollars at players.

How this fits in with the ethical running of a sustainable business/club is beyond me.
The salaries are paid for by the NRL.

I think teams have to spend 95% of the money in the cap. So saving the money they had set aside wasn't really an option.

The key is that they've signed him to a three year deal. If it had have been a one year deal as initially speculated it would have been a disaster as he would have had one eye on the Roosters.

I still feel like it's a square peg into a round hole type of signing. What made Valentine Holmes such a special player was his ability to make plays deep inside his own half. Whether it was picking up a grubber on the half volley and racing 15m or catching the markers out from dummy half, Holmes provided the Sharks with a real edge. Presumably if Moylan moves to 1, the Sharks will lose that, making it difficult for Johnson to even involve himself in the contest.

They could move Dugan to 1, but it remains to be seen who will play in the centres. With Leutele, Ramien gone, it leaves Josh Morris, Kurt Capewell and Aaron Gray as the only viable options. At this stage of his career, Capewell is better in the backrow and Gray has yet to prove himself in first grade. They'll have to hope that Bronson Xerri and Jackson Ferris come of age sooner than they would have hoped. It also means that somebody between Moylan, Townsend and Johnson will miss out, making it an unrealistic option.

On the plus side, we haven't really seen what Johnson can do behind a strong pack before. Playing for NZ, Johnson always appeared to be a much better player when he had Bromwich, Taumalolo, Taupau etc. to play off of. With Fifita, Woods, Graham, Gallen etc. there he'll walk into a better pack than what he had at the Warriors and will have more opportunities to play off of second phase. If he can make the most of the limited opportunities, he could easily cement himself among the game's elite, but it's a really tough ask. There will be games where Cronulla may only get six shots at scoring, if the team doesn't deliver, all the blame will be on Johnson.

Do they have a strong pack now? Gallen is like 40 years old and they have a completely new second row to start next season with Graham gone like half the season with his ACL recovery. Fatfita can't carry them.

The SJ & Townsend combination wasn't too bad at the Warriors, and they're both much better players now than they were in 2014-15. If Moylan can recapture any of his old Fullback form they might be a problem.

1. Moylan
2. Feki
3. Dugan
4. Morris
5. Katoa
6. Johnson
7. Townsend
8. Fifita
9. J.Brailey
10. Woods
11. Graham
12. Capewell
13. Gallen (c)

14. B.Brailey
15. Prior
16. Bukuya
17. Sorensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • Big Del
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.