NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMH reporting some stuff about James Roberts leaving Souths ... basically:
  • The only way that Souths management would allow Bennett to sign Roberts was for a one strike termination clause to be added to his contract, so they could sack him, first time he stepped out of line
  • Souths had multiple opportunities to trigger the clause early in the year, but due to his psychological history, they decided not to pull the trigger
  • they paid $30k in psychological support for him and his family
  • They began to question Roberts commitment to the team.
  • 3 months ago the discussed Roberts contract breeches, but decided against immediately sacking him, instead agreeing to pay him for the remainder of the rugby league financial year, costing them 100k they didn't have to pay under the terms of Roberts contract
  • the Knights are considering offer Roberts a lifeline, but no other NRL club has shown interest.
  • The NRL and Souths have been discussing Roberts release and they are comfortable with the mutual understanding that has been struck between the two parties.

Is it counted under the cap?

they didn't mention it ...

the "mutual understanding" part might suggest a portion is getting paid/counted under Souths cap.

If he isn't getting paid then it isn't under the cap. You can't count what isn't being spent.

I'd imagine if he was given a settlement for a portion of the money then that might count under the cap but in this instance it sounds like he's squandered plenty of chances already and might just be cutting his losses and walking away with nothing.

Last edited:
If he isn't getting paid then it isn't under the cap. You can't count what isn't being spent.

I'd imagine if he was given a settlement for a portion of the money then that might count under the cap but in this instance it sounds like he's squandered plenty of chances already and might just be cutting his losses and walking away with nothing.

The article literally says he was paid for the season. Question remains.

The article literally says he was paid for the season. Question remains.
I read that as being for the remainder of this current season, which of course would count under the cap. The article mentions $30k in welfare and also a figure of $100k which they could have withheld but obviously chose not to, so you'd presume that falls under their 2020 cap as it specifically said this NRL financial year.

Tigers chasing Roberts after missing out on Addo-Carr.

Roberts was spotted talking with the CEO and General Manager at a Concord cafe. He's going to hate Maguire..

Tigers chasing Roberts after missing out on Addo-Carr.

Roberts was spotted talking with the CEO and General Manager at a Concord cafe. He's going to hate Maguire..

Yep probably but this is what happens when you are a desperation club, you are desperate to sign anyone. We should know, we are in the same bracket.

Yep probably but this is what happens when you are a desperation club, you are desperate to sign anyone. We should know, we are in the same bracket.
We are in the same bracket, we just don't sign anyone.

Just read an article linking the Titans with a 900k offer for Hughes.

I can't believe it for a second. At some point players agents have to wake up and realise there's no feasible way they could have the funds for him. That's if you even believe they'd be willing to drop their captain to accommodate him at 7, drop their million dollar 5/8. or drop a promising (and a now a QLD rep) fullback.

If I was the Storm I'd cut the offer they have tabled him by 50k and call the bluff.

Just read an article linking the Titans with a 900k offer for Hughes.

I can't believe it for a second. At some point players agents have to wake up and realise there's no feasible way they could have the funds for him. That's if you even believe they'd be willing to drop their captain to accommodate him at 7, drop their million dollar 5/8. or drop a promising (and a now a QLD rep) fullback.

If I was the Storm I'd cut the offer they have tabled him by 50k and call the bluff.
I think the offer is from the Tigers or one of the other clubs listed. Titans it just said put in an expression of interest.

I think the offer is from the Tigers or one of the other clubs listed. Titans it just said put in an expression of interest.
Fair enough. I'd have thought they would be happy with Fogarty and Taylor. In my opinion the jury is very much still out on whether Hughes is a decent half.

It makes sense that the Tigers would be in for him, I think maybe the Warriors too. Everyone else including the Titans should be saying no thanks unless he's willing to take <600k.

Fair enough. I'd have thought they would be happy with Fogarty and Taylor. In my opinion the jury is very much still out on whether Hughes is a decent half.

It makes sense that the Tigers would be in for him, I think maybe the Warriors too. Everyone else including the Titans should be saying no thanks unless he's willing to take <600k.
I'm assuming it is just in case they can't reach an agreement with Taylor. Couldn't agree more on Hughes.

Blake Ferguson has been told he's not wanted at the Eels beyond 2021.

Blake Ferguson has been told he's not wanted at the Eels beyond 2021.
If he wasn't on massive money I'd want him, but pretty sure he's on something like 700-800k if reports are to be believed.

If he wasn't on massive money I'd want him, but pretty sure he's on something like 700-800k if reports are to be believed.
Thought it was 500k? 1.5 over 3 years.

Thought it was 500k? 1.5 over 3 years.
I don't actually know but I remember reading he was one of their biggest earners. At 500k I'd absolutely have him, he's top tier winger IMO and he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • bert_lifts
  • Footy Fanatic
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Bish
  • Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.