NSW Selection brain farts

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I know they have had many but having a chat to a mate last night we couldn't fathom why either James Maloney or Nathan Merritt hadn't been given a crack yet. Maloney has been great for 2-3 years now and NSW have been hopeless in the halves, he is also very tough and a good defender which helps in Origin but the guy hasn't even got a go in City v Country. Merritt is a freak, you need to score points to win games and he is the best try scorer in the league by miles also he is a very good defender for a little guy, seeing as they have tried a lot of wingers over the last few years you would think he might have got a game at some point.

Agree on Merritt. When u go back and look at some of the other guys they have chucked on the wing, like turner, monaghan, beardface and the likes, u have to wonder how merritt was continually overlooked. mateo is another one

I agree with Merrit. Not sure I agree with Maloney. He was outstanding last year and he warmed to it before Origin this year. He will be in contention for next year though, but it's hardly a brain fart.

As for Mateo - Please. Seriously. That guy has been hopeless for so long now, he's only struck some consistant form recently at the Warriors. He has been so disapointing, marked as the next SBW etc etc. If he can keep his form up then sure, pick him. But he didn't deserver a selection.

Really? Not even when he was killing it for the Eels a few years back?

Yes he's extremely inconsistent but leaving him out when he was in red hot form was a MAJOR blunder by NSW - not that I cared! lol

Wasn't there some issue with Mateo regarding his eligibility?

Played for Tonga and couldn't change his allegiance back or something. Was that resolved?

If I remember correctly, Mateo couldn't be selected as he nominated Tonga as his country and that meant he couldn't be called up for NSW even if they wanted him.

Maloney would be a pretty good fit for Origin but whether or not he can step up for Origin is another thing. He couldn't have been any worse than some of the options NSW went with.... The non inclusion of Merrett would suggest that Inglis was right in selecting to play for QLD..

I stand corrected then. Anyway, there's plenty of other blunders to giggle at I'm sure

I wouldn't think Mateo has ever really deserved or been good enough for origin.

Maloney should have played City/Country this year no doubt but I wouldn't have selected him ahead of Soward this year.

I can't believe Chris Lawrence hasn't played Origin yet. Honestly, you couldn't tell me Beau Scott, Timana Tahu, Joel Monaghan or Matt Cooper were better centres than him last year and even before he should have at least played some games on the wing ahead of the likes of Turner and D. Williams. Instead next year if he's fit, he's finally going to get his start even though it's well overdue.

Robbie Farah being dropped for Ennis was another doozy.

And just how they've treated their halves in general. Dropping the likes of Mullen and Campese after one game was ridiculous.

Oh and appointing Kurt Gidley captain...dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Their selection of Idris on the bench last year was singularly one of the worst.

Lawrence was a certainty this year before getting injured.

Of course but he should have already played at least three Origins by then if not more.

ethos - Y'know I didn't think that selection was THAT bad. When you have so many 80 minute players in the forward pack it's better to have a player of Idris' impact value who can cover the centre position if need be.

I'm the biggest Maloney fan on this board, and I'd love to see him playing City/Country. But I don't know if you could justify dropping Pearce or Soward for him. If one of them is injured next Origin series, he should definitely get called up.

Not sure about Maloney, I think Pearce and Soward was justified.

I actually think NSW did well this year with selection besides Ennis, Farah is a superior player in every way. NSW have won a single game with Ennis and in the game they did win they looked way better with him off the field. Obviously it's a tough one though because Smith is without doubt the best hooker in the game(if not the best player) so anyone who plays against him is made to look average.

Idris was a stupid decision, he's barely a first grade player, lazy **** who can't defend to save his life. Merritt should have been in origin probably 5 years ago, the guy is a perfect winger, I know he had a rant about NSW selectors being racist for not selecting him, probably why he gets overlooked but seriously he should be selected, IMO one of the best wingers in the game. How many times has he finished at the top end of the try scorers list in a **** Rabbitohs team? Says it all really, think he is the only winger to ever top the try scorers list in a team that finished with the wooden spoon.

Selecting guys like Lyon and trying to select Cooper when they clearly were not interested in playing for NSW were stupid moves. Origin is all about passion, enthusiasm and pride with skill levels being so close between the team so selecting players with no interest is just stupid.

Post is too long so I will stop now :P

How many origin games has Farah won?

He's a club player. Nothing more.

I'm by no means a fan of Farah but I rate him ahead of Ennis who's always good for at least one major f**k up a game.

Farah being cod ordinary in Origin is a myth.

Game 1 he was one of the Blue's best, he was just shown up by a fresher Craig Wing who excelled in that impact bench role.

Game 2 he was poor, but so was just about everyone for the Blues other than Hayne and Watmough.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • Skyblues87
  • Ozired
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Scdeac
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.