Oates feeling Origin heat from Slater

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
COREY Oates says he will have to improve his form to hold his Origin place this year with a Maroons backline shuffle likely to accommodate Billy Slater’s comeback.

Slater’s return at fullback would mean Darius Boyd moving into the three-quarter line, possibly on the left wing where Oates debuted for Queensland last year when Boyd excelled at fullback.

Oates insisted his confidence had returned in his bomb-catching for the Broncos after some errors and high balls which he let bounce late last season.

“It’s tough for the selectors this year,’’ Oates said. “Slater is one of the greatest fullbacks in the game and Darius played the series last year.

“I feel like I’ve got to improve. It’s down to who’s playing the best footy at the time. I’ll try my heart out to get that position back but I’m focused on this week coming.’’

Oates has trained hard since the pre-season started on fielding high balls. He acknowledges that attacking kickers are sending traffic his way this year more than to Jordan Kahu’s right flank.

Oates said Broncos kicking and catching consultant Daniel Merrett, the former Lions AFL defender, had been a valuable voice in his ear.

“I’m happy with what I’ve been doing, but I still want to improve,’’ Oates said.

“I have any confidence back and my timing. Last year I couldn’t catch anything towards the end of the season.

“(Merrett) told me to attack the ball with confidence, going in like I’m not going to drop it at all. I have to thank him for that. He reminded me of the things I did right last year.

“He said to be confident with my call and not shy away from it.

“You have to go in expecting to be hit when you land. You have to concentrate on the ball and be ready for the impact when you land.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/193c31a6ad31029d857c0c066f58a541

I feel for any player pushed out for him. He shouldn't walk into any team, hell, I'm surprised he didn't retire, I can't help but look at him as if he's a selfish turd.
You've had too many calzones. Let's not forget what he's done for us in origin.

Slater deserves a swansong.

You've had too many calzones. Let's not forget what he's done for us in origin.

Slater deserves a swansong.

No one deserves a position based on what they've done in the past. Especially someone nearly as old as @Porthoz

If he goes nuts this year, fine, but he shouldn't be the number 1. That position is covered.

We pick the best team and no-one is garranteed a spot. That includes both boyd and slater. That said, slater has been brilliant for queensland in the past and that counts. Judging by what he did round 3, he might have the edge for fulback. Im certain theyll both be somewhere in 17 for the soo 1. Either slater off the bench, or boyd on the wing.

No one deserves a position based on what they've done in the past. Especially someone nearly as old as @Porthoz

If he goes nuts this year, fine, but he shouldn't be the number 1. That position is covered.

Petero? He was a shadow of himself, did he deserve his swansong?

Petero? He was a shadow of himself, did he deserve his swansong?

All players, Broncos or not, should be picked on their current form.

Obviously combinations come into play in the origin arena, but two years out of the game, where both positions the player can play are well covered, he's not incumbent anymore.

What Slater has done for QLD in the past is pretty awesome. But I'd be more than happy to see him not given another maroon jersey.

Obviously combinations come into play in the origin arena, but two years out of the game, where both positions the player can play are well covered, he's not incumbent anymore.

What Slater has done for QLD in the past is pretty awesome. But I'd be more than happy to see him not given another maroon jersey.

this ...

your not the incumbent forever and a day, Slater hasn't played origin in two years ... he is no longer the incumbent and the only consideration for him should be his CURRENT form.

now if he is playing the best footy of any fullback, then great select him ... if not we have a very good fullback in Darius Boyd who will do a great job for us in the 1 jersey

I can't say I disagree. I didn't agree with including Petero, despite his history, but wanted to see your thoughts on that as a comparison to the Slater situation.

I was all for Civoniceiva's selection and thought whatever issues he was having could be put down to Hook's bizarre use of the bench.

It's difficult to impress when you're only getting twenty minutes game-time.

this ...

your not the incumbent forever and a day, Slater hasn't played origin in two years ... he is no longer the incumbent and the only consideration for him should be his CURRENT form.

now if he is playing the best footy of any fullback, then great select him ... if not we have a very good fullback in Darius Boyd who will do a great job for us in the 1 jersey
Totally agree here. I'll be upfront.. I'm no slater fan. Used to shit me when he'd get the nod at fullback over Khunt and then get constantly driven backwards returning kicks, and jumping forward I don't really recall his most recent origin ventures overly impressive and I thought then that he's gone on too long at origin level at the expense of others. I'm hoping Walters sees beyond the emotion but I have my doubts. He's being talked up already, but I haven't been that impressed by him other than his energy he brings. He's still a grub, and still throws shit passes yet people rate him as a ball playing fullback. If his form warrants it, and it serves the team balance ok, but doubt thats what will happen. You shouldn't just get a recall based on name, especially at his age. I generally see this attitude as a problem for Qld moving forward... we should have ditched Myles and Lillyman years ago, but fortunately team brilliance covers a few cracks. Succession needs to be ongoing and should have started a few years back with forwards.... but getting off topic now. I'm in the no camp for slater.

I thought he was easily the most dangerous opponent in the melbourne game (apart from the refs), and whilst i agree his form should be there abouts, he would definitely be my pick, assuming he's putting in good 80 minute performances. As for blooding new players, thats what origin camps are for. Players like lillyman are a different matter, but i dont blame selectors for picking when there is a darth of choice. Hes a proven player in a winning origin team. That said id expect a few young forwards to get the nod this year. Theyve just got to show form in big games.

We pick the best team and no-one is garranteed a spot. That includes both boyd and slater. That said, slater has been brilliant for queensland in the past and that counts. Judging by what he did round 3, he might have the edge for fulback. Im certain theyll both be somewhere in 17 for the soo 1. Either slater off the bench, or boyd on the wing.

Maybe I watched a different game?

Judging by what he did in round 3 is isn't even picked at all

I thought he was bloody awful

He will get better with game time though

Yeah, i was watching closely in the Melb game to see how he went ... he's lost his explosiveness, which is reasonable considering his age and time out of the game, but yeah he isn't going to come back and be the same player... he is finished as a top shelf gun. he will still score tries and have good games, but the slater everyone remembers will be just that, a memory.

I actually thought he was the most threatening

I was more worried about Cameron Smith.

Can't say I was ever concerned about Slater.

On ch9 the commentators would yell excitedly every time Slater got the ball. It probably gave the impression he was doing more than he actually was.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Gaz
  • broncoscope
  • Redux
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Howie
  • Mpost
  • winslow_wong
  • Hurrijo
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.