NEWS Oates under pressure to make transition

It's not so much how Oates will go that is the concern. I'ts how his replacement will handle the first grade duties on the wing..

If Oates plays well in the 2nd row and if either Person or Issako can really take the wing spot by the scruff of the neck - it's a win, win situation. Could be a blessing in disguise boys. New blood in the team.

Was pretty much what I was thinking. Bennett wouldn't have done it if he didn't think the replacement was ready......Unless the old bastard has gone senile anyway.

Oates just married Miles’ daughter. Imagine the second rower that kid could be!

It’s in the Genes......
lol so that's why he came out and backed Corey to be a second rower for Qld(if memory serves me). Didn't he say something along those lines that he would be a great second rower for Qld or something? Looking after the son-in-law.

lol so that's why he came out and backed Corey to be a second rower for Qld(if memory serves me). Didn't he say something along those lines that he would be a great second rower for Qld or something? Looking after the son-in-law.

That's a good thing. Some fathers in law hate their son in law.

Miles also dropped him this year. Softens the blow. You’re dropped from the Queensland team but see you at dinner Thursday? You’d make a great second rower.

he was the best back rower in his 20's days, so this isn't anything new to him.
also we should remember when hook used to play him in the backrow late in some games - he was near unstoppable.
the other thing about him being in the back row should he make it, milford or nikorima are gonna have a big body crashing on to the ball that will attract 2 or 3 defenders everytime. this will give them heaps more room to move and free up space for bird or roberts. they can play to oates or even decoy and go them selves or hit the outside backs. i can see big points!! and exciting attacking footy which is what we want to see.
Sure. But what about his defence

There's the video interview on the site were he steam rolls Nona and drags Roberts along like nothing. If he gets one on one with natural centre or orlf he's going to cause issues. Defence will be his issue but I think he'll go ok. Hitting holes late in the halfs will be great though he has to battle with guys like Savelio, Funkai, TPJ not to mention Fifita is breathing down all their necks.

yep he tackles

Good to hear an NRL player can tackle!

Can he defend well? What is his lateral movement like? Does his style of defence suit that which an edge backrower needs? What is his best side? Left or right? Can he be a cover defender for a much smaller half?

Damnit man! We need these things! Lol

Good to hear an NRL player can tackle!

Can he defend well? What is his lateral movement like? Does his style of defence suit that which an edge backrower needs? What is his best side? Left or right? Can he be a cover defender for a much smaller half?

Damnit man! We need these things! Lol

do you want the powerball numbers too? lol, only joking.

he can play left or right edge. laterally he is better than tpj and no issue on that front
he hits hard so no issue there.
he can shoot the line and hit hard of needed (similar to gillett) and he has the speed to back that up.

I went back and looked at some ISC games- Against Redcliffe in 2014 for the Capras and first game of 2015- He played right edge. The Broncos he played 20 games there of his first 29 and was on the right too.

He was very good in that Capras game against Redcliffe he scored a try on the right bashing his way. Against the Jets in round 20 he was on the end of a hiding 34-14 against the Jets and didn't have a great game. That one was when he was dropped for drinking.

Cant really blame him after what wayne did to the family
I'm not into gossip, this is footy, but if it gets thrown about one way then the other side should be heard.
They were unofficially divorced a looong time before the new "mistress" was on the scene. He then moved to a unit and left the house/farm and anything else they needed. Marriages break down-if that's what you were insinuating?
There's a reason he doesn't respect the media, and after hearing from an ex player the reason, I don't blame him. From all non-media reports he is a champion bloke, and he puts his family first-with his players a close second.
A couple of the stories I heard competely go against how the media painted him...

Then again, it's all hearsay, but I'd still trust it over the media haha

Oates just married Miles’ daughter. Imagine the second rower that kid could be!

It’s in the Genes......
Wow, what if was a male child instead ! Now that would really be something!

I like the way Wayne's playing this. It's sink or swim for the big fella. Prove yourself or see ya.

Lol, Wayne's bowing to Corey because he wants to appease him and keep him happy - AKA he's valuable to the Broncos. Wayne isn't playing anything - he's been forced into a corner by Corey's demands.

Unread

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • Manifesto
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.