NEWS Oates wants forwards switch, but not that much

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
DYE7ElfV4AA6I0A

Corey Oates still wants to move to Broncos forwards, but not at the expense of his NRL jersey

March 12, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
I can definitely see him leaving now. Somewhere they guarantee a FG spot in the forwards.

which part is that in response to.

Oates on the wing
Oates spending time training in forwards
or Kahu in the centers
The last one. Morgan will have a field day.

Sorry wrong quote, was Opacic training at centre or at all?

We're unlikely to be able to retain Oates after this season according to Chris Garry. There's money in the cap to re-sign him as a winger, but he'll be getting much bigger offers and a guaranteed edge forward role from multiple teams, which we can't match / promise with the likes of Gillett, Glenn, Su'A & Fifita on the roster.

**** him off then. He's slowing down on the wing, and I've seen zero reason to give him a second row spot.

I would like him to stay, I think he could be our answer to Coen Hess in terms of try scoring ability close to the line.

I would like him to stay, I think he could be our answer to Coen Hess in terms of try scoring ability close to the line.

From all reports I think Fifita is going to be that for us. Re-signed him until 2020 last month, should have a full season of Mal Meninga Cup / Intrust Super Cup this year, will be 19 by the time next season starts. If all goes as planned, we may even just give him the Lodge treatment next season and throw him straight in to the starting line-up.

I have two thoughts on the matter

1) Bennett is clearly testing Oates on how badly he wants it, and it doesn't reflect well that on Oates that he'd rather play wing than fight for his spot by proving himself at Q Cup level, seems like he's taking the easy way out so to speak and I wonder whether Bennett thinks that sort of attitude is the reason why he won't make it as a 2RF.

2) If he does leave however and signs with another club at to play 2nd row, he will kill it. I think we will seriously regret him leaving if he does. I hope we re-sign him and say ok, next season once Thaiday is out, you'll start from bench and come on as a 2rf and eventually build him from there. He can't expect to walk into our second row at this stage because Gillett and Glenn are better players than he is and for the balance of the team, there is no point Glenn coming off the bench as he's a workhorse, not an impact player.

I would not like to lose him from the squad as hes a valuable utility. Does he have the mongrel to be a starting 2nd rower, and can he play 60-80 mins at 2nd row if necessary.

Glenn will become an absolute superstar if he plays back row for Melbourne. They will get much more out of him in that position than we have.

I think get rid of Glenn before Oates.
Oates has to prove he can play 2rf first, and if he can, then as much as I like Glenn he would be the one jettisoned.

But Oates has to prove it first, you don't demand a spot, you earn it.

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • Bucking Beads
  • Socnorb
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Matheos
  • Big Del
  • the_next
  • GCBRONCO
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Jazza
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.