NEWS Oates's brutal assessment of his Broncos future

Especially when he actually can’t.

Course he can. Oates is currently choosing not to probably because he doesn’t want to give his current manager any cut of the contract, but he “could” actually sign, there is no obstacle to that.

Other than choice.

Last edited:
I would be be pretty disappointed if we lost Oates, he is just a Bronco through an through and the fans just love him, but saying that I can understand if he took an opportunity to go somewhere that gives him a chance to play second row.

I think Sua is an investment in the future and is a must keep as is TPJ, unfortunately I agree that probably leaves Glenn as the fall guy assuming Gillett returns, which is also disappointing as Glenn he has been a great player for our club and just real decent bloke. Glenn is just one of those reliable guys you need who doesn't cost you a lot of money.

I would think if Bird was fit to play centre (with Kahu on the wing) then Oates would have been given a chance in the second row, unfortunately due to injuries to both Kahu and Bird that just hasn't happened, sadly it may just cost us Oates.

Thaiday has managed okay coming off the bench, keeping his ego in check. I imagine Glenn would be similar. Plus unlike Thaiday, Glenn is a pretty useful utility player being able to fill a number of roles in the forwards or back as required.

I'd add Jharal Yow Yeh to that list just on potential alone he was a player that got fans genuinely excited, fired up and wanting to watch over and over, cruelly robbed by injury but man I would love to have had him in this side right now. As good as Oates is, I would say Yow Yeh had the potential to be even better.

It makes me genuinely sad every time I see a video like this of JYY.

Great player with an even better attitude. Only ever wanted to play for the Broncos.

Could have gone on to be anything at the trajectory he was on. Such a shame.

But still, such an accomplished career in such a short timeframe.

People say this or that player could have been great, etc but I have absolutely no hesitation in saying JYY would have become the best winger of all time, he just had so much talent, potential and a drive to succeed. He had already accomplished so much.

People say this or that player could have been great, etc but I have absolutely no hesitation in saying JYY would have become the best winger of all time, he just had so much talent, potential and a drive to succeed. He had already accomplished so much.

He was just as adept in the centres as well so as great a winger he is, I think in the present side his value would skyrocket there. But sadly this means little all in the end, his career is over and it's just wishful thinking.

Last edited:
That's a big call but he would have had a successful NRL career. I still think Sailor and Tuqiri were better players but they probably don't really qualify as they spent their primes in the richer code. JYY may have defected as well as he certainly would have generated interest elsewhere.

source.gif

That's a big call but he would have had a successful NRL career. I still think Sailor and Tuqiri were better players but they probably don't really qualify as they spent their primes in the richer code. JYY may have defected as well as he certainly would have generated interest elsewhere.

You mean union , which is one of the most boring sports on earth, bankrupt and no fans lol

You mean union , which is one of the most boring sports on earth, bankrupt and no fans lol
I was actually surprised to see the decent size of the crowd at suncorp the other week when it was wallabies vs Ireland

Last edited:
I was actually surprised to see the decent size of the crowd at suncorp the other week when it was wallabies vs Ireland

Not really suprised, a majority looked like they were Irish fans

Agreed, would have become one of the all time greats. He pretty much is anyway whe it comes to wingers.

He was just as adept in the centres as well so as great a winger he is, I think in the present side his value would skyrocket there. But sadly this means little all in the end, his career is over and it's just wishful thinking.
I still find it hard to believe he couldn’t make it back. Even if he wasn’t as good as before I still didn’t think we’d see the end of him.

I still find it hard to believe he couldn’t make it back. Even if he wasn’t as good as before I still didn’t think we’d see the end of him.

I was still in denial even after he retired, I really thought he'd be back.

Agree with you on the boring part but not on the other two points. Sailor and Tuqiri were earning more early in the millennium than what Milf is on now just to give you some perspective. Union will always have the upper hand when it comes to player contracts. Thankfully the big name poachings have halted in recent years.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Tim K
  • john1420
  • BruiserMk1
  • Financeguy
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • Griffo
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.