ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
To kick this thread off
Big Problems for the Dragons
Josh Hutchinson has torn his ACL

Now they'll really want Hunt.

Who will play in the halves with Widdop for them?

If they can't get Hunt I assume they'll be forced into signing one of the "Terrible-Two" - Also known as Todd Carney & Chris Sandow.

If they can't get Hunt I assume they'll be forced into signing one of the "Terrible-Two" - Also known as Todd Carney & Chris Sandow.

It would likely be Sandow..

IIRC, the NRL won't let Carney back in the NRL after they gave him another chance and he literally pissed it away.

Sure they can have him back, at double the price we signed him for.

That's heart-breaking for the Dragons. While I have my doubts about Hutchinson's longevity in the game, to be handed such a cruel blow is a bitter pill to swallow.

For the time being, that leaves St George with a halves pairing of 6. Gareth Widdop and 7. Josh McCrone. At times, I thought these two combined better than Widdop and Marshall, as McCrone's direct style of play complimented Widdop's running game. As long as the forward pack holds their own and Dugan chimes in they could jag a few victories but they'll need a better option if they wish to achieve higher honours.

I wonder if they could lure Jackson Hastings back from the Roosters?

That would be a good fit for the club. Hastings struggled to be the chief playmaker in Pearce's absence, but the club was in turmoil and he was on a hiding to nothing. While St George are in a desperate situation, he won't be under as much scrutiny and will receive plenty of support from Widdop and Dugan.

Alternatively, you could go with a Kurt Mann & Gareth Widdop combination. Kurt reminds me of another Queenslander in Luke Capewell. Both made a name for themselves as halves, but when it came time to play first grade, they had to settle for a Mr. Fix-It-Role. Playing him in the halves may provide St George with the spark they so desperately need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Shaun Nona currently with the Dragons?

Been a while since I have seen him in action, but he always looked the business in ISC. Seemed to be one of those players a cut above that level.

At least he's a dedicated half with experience under his belt. Might pan out like Cody Walker for Souths..

Nona left the club at the end of the year.

EDIT: Actually no, you were right RT. Nona backflipped and ended up re-signing with the Dragons. If that's the case, I'd be keen to play him ahead of McCrone.

Last edited:
They might be forced to get Hastings now from the Roosters

Soward hasn't ruled out returning to the Dragons.

If I were McGregor, I would make him an offer.

Their options are extremely limited and he is arguably the best out of the lot.

I'd probably go with Hastings, he's arguably the least proven of all 4 options, but he has the most chance to actually be a relatively decent long-term option, the other 3 guys are all near or over 30 and on the down slope.

The biggest issue with the Dragons these past couple of years is their inability to build towards the future. So they maybe able to snag a Top 8 spot every once in awhile, but ultimately they'll always find themselves in that 8th-12th range. Signing Soward would not fix this issue. His time in the NRL is over and while he was a wonderful servant it's time for the Dragons to build a side.

Given the current climate, Hastings would be their best fit but failing him, they should give 26-year-old Nona a shot. Nona has been banging on the door in the lower grades for quite sometime and deserves an opportunity to showcase what he can bring in the big dance.

IMG 3032

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.