NEWS On the turps with Jake

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Handsome hooker, Jake Turpin wowed his legion of adoring fans at yesterday's Fox League launch:

“The boys who went through last year, it would have for sure been the hardest footy year we’ve ever had in our lives. Definitely took a lot out of that mental wise, we were stuck in a bubble and we weren’t performing each week so we’ve got to take something out of it. We never want to feel like that again. So I think a lot of boys will come out of that stronger.”

“Kevvie just brings in that winning culture that he had at the club – he’s won a lot of premierships there and he’s brought that winning culture he had at the time and he’s brought that to his coaching regime. His record speaks for itself, so whatever he’s doing, you know it works. He’s been there, done that. It’s been really good and the boys have really enjoyed having Kevvie at the club.”

Hjaketurpin    rCYyqknbC

Careful what you wish for, Santa

When Macca left he looked Jake square in the eye, and told him:

“Take that role, run with it and don’t look back.”

Speaking of whom, Jake said:

“We’re great mates off the field and for me to learn off a player like that (McCullough) is definitely going to help my career. So for me to have him at the club was very good but he has to do what’s best for his family and that was to move on. He has played 260-something NRL games but he definitely knows a lot, just his experience in the middle and his craft around the ruck and kicking game. When he was at his best he was one of the best in the game at it. I’d pick his brain on everything I think I’d need to know or think I needed to improve."

“Other than that, we have got some very good hookers at the club and they push me every day and it’s a very healthy competition there at the moment. We’re in good stead with the hookers.”

Hc6238629c518fcdb2ab5ca8615a66b99

Surprise motherfucka!

McHunt

i really do like Turps...and im hoping he has a stonkin year....

The new rule changes though means you need different things from your hookers now....can he adapt and develop a more running style of game out of dummy half in this 6-again era...?

Last edited:

The new rule changes though means you need different things from your hookers now....can he adapt and develop a more running style of game out of dummy half in this 6-again era...?
Mightn't hurt to have a field goal up his sleeve either, given they're worth 2 points now.

Maybe I'm showing my low low rugby league iq but running out of dummy half strikes me as Turpin's thing.

I think that’s actually one of Turps best attributes. He is quite quick off the mark( a **** load quicker than Macca). The thing is that when there is room to move around slow markers and a broken line the whole team needs to react. Not just whoever is in the 9.

I think that’s actually one of Turps best attributes. He is quite quick off the mark( a **** load quicker than Macca). The thing is that when there is room to move around slow markers and a broken line the whole team needs to react. Not just whoever is in the 9.
He is quick off the mark, but a recurring criticism last year was an unwillingness to run himself, leaving the onus of attack on his outside. We're yet to see whether that was a Seibold initiative but if he persists he's not going to cut it. Segeyaro was particularly good at taking on the line. I wouldn't be dissapointed to see him back on minimum wage, should our stocks start looking low.

Mightn't hurt to have a field goal up his sleeve either, given they're worth 2 points now.
I know this is not right thread for it but is any one else very concerned about this rule change?

I mean it could have huge implications on how the game is played.

I'm worried it will turn out more and more like nfl.

might not happen this year but I can see in a couple of years the best strategy is use forward to hit up to inside 30 and kick for field goal.

I mean how f'in boring would the game be if that is what it evolves into.

have no idea why nrl continue to make changes for the sake of changes.

hope i'm wrong

I know this is not right thread for it but is any one else very concerned about this rule change?

I mean it could have huge implications on how the game is played.

I'm worried it will turn out more and more like nfl.

might not happen this year but I can see in a couple of years the best strategy is use forward to hit up to inside 30 and kick for field goal.

I mean how f'in boring would the game be if that is what it evolves into.

have no idea why nrl continue to make changes for the sake of changes.

hope i'm wrong
Yeah the rules stupid. At very lost it should be field goals beyond the 40m are worth 2 but then why bother with it.

It will be tactically the smart thing to do to just throw a field goal over whenever you get within the 20 m line. Have 3 or 4 players who have well drilled set up in that zone and go for it. And with the 6 again rule it will be increasingly easy to get into field goal range.

I guess another solution would be to make the penalty for missing a bigger one. 40m restart for the opposition?

I don’t know, it all seems so unnecessary

Yeah the rules stupid. At very lost it should be field goals beyond the 40m are worth 2 but then why bother with it.

It will be tactically the smart thing to do to just throw a field goal over whenever you get within the 20 m line. Have 3 or 4 players who have well drilled set up in that zone and go for it. And with the 6 again rule it will be increasingly easy to get into field goal range.

I guess another solution would be to make the penalty for missing a bigger one. 40m restart for the opposition?

I don’t know, it all seems so unnecessary
The rule is a drop goal is worth 2 points (50% of a try) more than 40 metres out, and 1 point within 40 metres. In union, it's worth 3 points (60 % of a try), no matter where. The difference is in league it's easier to get set because of the stop to play the ball.

It'll be interesting to see whether coaches go for it, but it were me I'd be milking the **** out of it as easy points. If that turns out to be the case, it will **** the game badly, and I can see them reversing it before the season's over.

That said, it amazes me it's not given a higher priority in Union. Probably because the code is based around kicking the ball out of play and forcing penalties.

Last edited:
He is quick off the mark, but a recurring criticism last year was an unwillingness to run himself, leaving the onus of attack on his outside. We're yet to see whether that was a Seibold initiative but if he persists he's not going to cut it. Segeyaro was particularly good at taking on the line. I wouldn't be dissapointed to see him back on minimum wage, should our stocks start looking low.
Obvious C Smith would be ideal. I would not sign Seggy he brings problems with him. I want a hooker that is going to improve our marker and middle defense. I wouldn't be against Peats.

Last edited:
The rule is a drop goal is worth 2 points (50% of a try) more than 40 metres out, and 1 point within 40 metres. In union, it's worth 3 points (60 % of a try), no matter where. The difference is in league it's easier to get set because of the stop to play the ball.

It'll be interesting to see whether coaches go for it, but it were me I'd be milking the **** out of it as easy points. If that turns out to be the case, it will **** the game badly, and I can see them reversing it before the season's over.

That said, it amazes me it's not given a higher priority in Union. Probably because the code is based around kicking the ball out of play and forcing penalties.
Oh ok well that is slightly less damaging. I didn’t realise that the 40m thing existed. Still seems unnecessary

Maybe I'm showing my low low rugby league iq but running out of dummy half strikes me as Turpin's thing.
This is a misconception. Turpin barely ever runs from dummy half. Look at the stats from last two years. Macca's dummy half runs were more than double those of Turpin's for the last two seasons. Of games where they were both playing hooker.

The team most likely to take advantage of the rule is Souths.

Arey is an excellent field goal kicker and Bennett loves taking points when they're on offer... the issue for the rest of the comp is that Souths are the golden child so NSWRL won't do anything about it if they start picking up 4-10pts a game from field goals.

The situation where it will come into play, if at all, are those sets of 6 where the team is going nowhere and the ptb ends up about 35m out. Instead of a bomb to the corner a player like Arey may have a snap at field goal. Can just run a forward into the middle of the field park yourself directly behind the ruck (instant blockers) and take a free shot at field goal.

I too did not realise it was only worth 2 points 40 metres out.

that makes me feel a little less worried at least.

will be interesting to see in a few years if teams stop training for set plays inside 20 and just have 1-2 guys do nothing but field goal training with block plays there is not doubt you could get pretty accurate with it. (seems like a thing a certain scummy Melbourne team and coach who has no respect in the game would attempt)

guess we will see if a team is willing to take the gamble by putting that much effort into it .

I too did not realise it was only worth 2 points 40 metres out.

that makes me feel a little less worried at least.

will be interesting to see in a few years if teams stop training for set plays inside 20 and just have 1-2 guys do nothing but field goal training with block plays there is not doubt you could get pretty accurate with it. (seems like a thing a certain scummy Melbourne team and coach who has no respect in the game would attempt)

guess we will see if a team is willing to take the gamble by putting that much effort into it .
If it’s within the rules I don’t see how it’s scummy. If the excitement gets taken out of the game I’m sure they’ll tweak the rule.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.