One Last Game

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
For those that enjoy re-watching old games, if you could only watch one game of footy again, which one would it be?

2006 against the Dogs. I'd only need the second half. Or the 06 GF. Damned we played some fine football on that night.

2006 against the Dogs. I'd only need the second half. Or the 06 GF. Damned we played some fine football on that night.

lol I'm watching that 06 game right now - right as I posted it that try was happening, so I was inspired to ask the question. This game would be up there for me. Perhaps Locky's Origin farewell as well.

lol I'm watching that 06 game right now - right as I posted it that try was happening, so I was inspired to ask the question. This game would be up there for me. Perhaps Locky's Origin farewell as well.

I could never get sick of Locky winning the series by picking up that dropped ball and starting our massive dominance. Tingles just thinking about the emotion felt as our state collectively jumped from our chairs and yelled. Loud.

I wonder if some of the older members here would be inclined to choose the 92 or 93 GF - must have been pretty special to them, especially for people like @Huge who were there.

Yeah the 06 GF for sure.

And I will rightly get flamed for it but if the 15 GF didn't involve us losing, that would have been it, such a ridiculously high quality game from start to finish.

Yeah the 06 GF for sure.

And I will rightly get flamed for it but if the 15 GF didn't involve us losing, that would have been it, such a ridiculously high quality game from start to finish.
The first 75 minutes were gold, I've watched it a few times now

I wonder if some of the older members here would be inclined to choose the 92 or 93 GF - must have been pretty special to them, especially for people like @Huge who were there.
I cannot speak for others but as they say, you only ever have one first time. I don't know how many other bhq members were there although i think there was at least one other. I knew at the time the significance of the win as I was already 34 years old having had my birthday just a week or two prior. The win remains special to many people but surely it would be most significant to the team members and WB.

We were lucky to win the 93 gf. I knew 1 minute into the match we would win it and said so. The reason ? The guy who had destroyed us in Brisbane a few weeks prior, Jason Stevens had almost torn his thumb off 45 seconds into the game and played no part for the remainder.( the last game of the regular season, wasn't a big win but he single handedly bashed our forwards comprehensively)

Had he not broken his thumb I doubt we would have won, he was in sensational form at that time, dominated our forwards, tearing us a new arsehole.

'92 never gets old.

470nrlfinal,0.jpg

The Bulldogs game is definitely a contender, albeit from a Broncos perspective it's really only one half of football that's worth watching. The first 40 is really frustrating because the Broncos should have put more tries on the board but they couldn't convert their opportunities and they were giving away some fairly soft tries in defence.

My favourite win of the 06 regular season was probably the Round 17 clash against Cronulla on a sunny afternoon at Suncorp. Brisbane were without a host of players and were playing a red hot Cronulla outfit. Despite that, the boys played brilliantly and really gave it to the Sharks, running away with a very comfortable victory. The highlight of the afternoon was Costigan flattening Kimmorley with a hit-up, it was one of the Broncos biggest hits of the year, and it happened with the ball in hand.

Otherwise when it comes to Brisbane, I really didn't enjoy watching our brand through out the 00s. Every now and then they'd put on a clinic, but for the most part it seemed to be about Webby, Civoniceiva and Tallis carting the ball up and Lockyer having to pull something out of his arse to get points on the board.

It really wasn't until 2008 when Ennis and Wallace stepped up when the Broncos were able to play with more variety and started playing some real enterprising football. Granted, it wasn't always great either largely due to the Broncos pack which had really dropped off from previous seasons. A couple of games I really dig from that season is the FW1 performance against Sydney which was as tough as anything you'd see in the modern game and the Round 21 clash against Canberra. The Raiders were the form team of the competition and to be honest, one of the better teams to watch along with Manly who were awesome that season. Anyways, Brisbane gave them a real reality check that afternoon and of all the reasons why I miss Sunday football, that's at the top of it.

To answer the question, my answer will always be the 2002 Origin Decider which just had so many amazing moments and the try at the death from Carlaw was sweet sweet justice after Lockyer was denied the match winner moments earlier.

Otherwise I'm more of a teams guy...

There's a lot of 2015 wins I enjoy revisiting, that defensive effort against Melbourne is usually on top of it.

Then I enjoy watching the Cowboys from 2004-05, Penrith 03, Tigers 05, Sharks 01, Storm 03-05 (pre-rort), Raiders 03, Warriors 01-03 were awesome, Dogs 09 was like the Broncos of 08 in some respects, Tigers 2010-11 with Benji at his best...if I had a comp of all those teams and more, I'd be sweet.

The Bulldogs game is definitely a contender, albeit from a Broncos perspective it's really only one half of football that's worth watching. The first 40 is really frustrating because the Broncos should have put more tries on the board but they couldn't convert their opportunities and they were giving away some fairly soft tries in defence.

My favourite win of the 06 regular season was probably the Round 17 clash against Cronulla on a sunny afternoon at Suncorp. Brisbane were without a host of players and were playing a red hot Cronulla outfit. Despite that, the boys played brilliantly and really gave it to the Sharks, running away with a very comfortable victory. The highlight of the afternoon was Costigan flattening Kimmorley with a hit-up, it was one of the Broncos biggest hits of the year, and it happened with the ball in hand.

Otherwise when it comes to Brisbane, I really didn't enjoy watching our brand through out the 00s. Every now and then they'd put on a clinic, but for the most part it seemed to be about Webby, Civoniceiva and Tallis carting the ball up and Lockyer having to pull something out of his arse to get points on the board.

It really wasn't until 2008 when Ennis and Wallace stepped up when the Broncos were able to play with more variety and started playing some real enterprising football. Granted, it wasn't always great either largely due to the Broncos pack which had really dropped off from previous seasons. A couple of games I really dig from that season is the FW1 performance against Sydney which was as tough as anything you'd see in the modern game and the Round 21 clash against Canberra. The Raiders were the form team of the competition and to be honest, one of the better teams to watch along with Manly who were awesome that season. Anyways, Brisbane gave them a real reality check that afternoon and of all the reasons why I miss Sunday football, that's at the top of it.

To answer the question, my answer will always be the 2002 Origin Decider which just had so many amazing moments and the try at the death from Carlaw was sweet sweet justice after Lockyer was denied the match winner moments earlier.

Otherwise I'm more of a teams guy...

There's a lot of 2015 wins I enjoy revisiting, that defensive effort against Melbourne is usually on top of it.

Then I enjoy watching the Cowboys from 2004-05, Penrith 03, Tigers 05, Sharks 01, Storm 03-05 (pre-rort), Raiders 03, Warriors 01-03 were awesome, Dogs 09 was like the Broncos of 08 in some respects, Tigers 2010-11 with Benji at his best...if I had a comp of all those teams and more, I'd be sweet.

I remember the Cronulla game, I had it taped, watched it a few times that year and thge next. I remember Perry having arguably his best game for the Broncos, MOTM performance I believe. At least from me. Thorn had a great game too in the front row.

Yeah the 06 GF for sure.

Probably the greatest GF played in the modern era. I have no problem watching that game. It is the perfect example of how great RL is as that match had everything. Shame about the result but it took me about ten minutes to get over it. Life is too short to dwell on something like that. I have seen all six premierships so obviously it was easier for me to accept than someone who has been around for only one or even none.

It's tough to decide.

At the moment it would be Round 24 2009 when we showed arguably the best defensive team in the comp how to defend.

If we show that kind of defense for the rest of the season then no team will be able to stop us. Not even Melbourne.

Unread

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Sproj
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mister Wright
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Spike
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
  • levikaden
  • jd87
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.