Origin Sucks

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Is something I never saw anybody write until I came here.

Let's discuss it.

Whether it's the schedule, the one-sided affairs, it's role in expansion etc. etc.

Can't agree. The Origin games are my favourite 3 games of the year.

Personally, I believe it's a crazy view.

Without Origin, I doubt we'd see the Broncos in their current format. Origin is what stirred southern interest in Northern expansion and gave us heroes like Wally Lewis, Allan Langer and Gene Miles - 3 figures who played a big role in winning over the local public. Without them, I believe the perception of the club would have been that it was a plastic NSWRL club, instead of how we were seen as the Queensland outlaws.

In 2013, it's still the best series in the game. The game is played with such skill and intensity that no other contest comes close. I'd dare say, it's the best Australian sporting event period. It's the one contest that every Australian recognises and given the respect it deserves. How many Australian TV shows reference it for instance?

The scheduling sucks, no doubt. The effect it has on the competition is annoying and that needs to be looked into. My suggestion would be to make each Origin game coincided with a rep. weekend where the likes of New Zealand and the Pacific Island teams can play so we can promote International Rugby League. It might not take off straight away but in time I have faith that people will care about those contests.

I'll touch on expansion later but I don't think it has as big an effect as people make it out to be.

Yep. Despite how crap last weekend's rep round was, I think that's because a Test and City Country aren't exactly marquee games.

Make it Origin play it Sunday evening and my god it'll have everyone salivating over it.

Most people know I am not overally fussed with Origin. I have started enjoying it more the last few years, but to me it is just another 3 games of the year that I am not fussed if we lose or win. The Rabbitohs mean more to me than NSW.

I also hate the people who don't understand the idea of State of Origin and follow their NRL team players into SOO so cheer for that state. Yet they have never lived there. There were a few members here that did this but most don't seem to post any more.

I also hate the people who don't understand the idea of State of Origin and follow their NRL team players into SOO so cheer for that state. Yet they have never lived there. There were a few members here that did this but most don't seem to post any more.

I'm still here!

I know I have explained myself many times before, and we have this discussion between each other every year... but for anyone unaware - I started supporting Queensland when I was like eight or nine years old. Although I can't remember the exact reason, I assume it was because the team had a lot of Broncos on it, and I was enamored with the Broncos. Supporting Queensland is all I know now, and I feel extremely passionate about it.

Everyone can hate on me, I ain't changing!

Sorry [MENTION=2144]Twiztid[/MENTION], just had to pipe up even though I think we did this to death last year. :laugh: I can definitely see why it's annoying though.

Most people know I am not overally fussed with Origin. I have started enjoying it more the last few years, but to me it is just another 3 games of the year that I am not fussed if we lose or win.

NSW supporter ...right?

Any coincidence that you're enjoying more now that the games are becoming a closer contest?

Tee hee hee......:laugh:

I know I have explained myself many times before, and we have this discussion between each other every year... but for anyone unaware - I started supporting Queensland when I was like eight or nine years old. Although I can't remember the exact reason, I assume it was because the team had a lot of Broncos on it, and I was enamored with the Broncos. Supporting Queensland is all I know now, and I feel extremely passionate about it.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions?

1. Were you born in NSW and do you still live there?

2. Did you at one time support NSW?

Thanks in advance.

Yep. Despite how crap last weekend's rep round was, I think that's because a Test and City Country aren't exactly marquee games.

Make it Origin play it Sunday evening and my god it'll have everyone salivating over it.

I think the scheduling of the test and the C V C rep game was atrocious. People in the country want to turn out to see their favourite NSW "stars".....having them involved in a test match 2 days prior to the game was always going to spell a crowd count disaster.

The C V C game was of a very poor standard.

The Test game had it moments and most likely if the Kiwis had of been full strength (injuries) ....I think it would have been a lot closer. The Kiwis held their own for 3/4 of the game.

NSW supporter ...right?

Any coincidence that you're enjoying more now that the games are becoming a closer contest?

Tee hee hee......:laugh:

I wouldn't really say the contests have been that wide a mark really. There has been a lot of close shaves with a NSW mistake and the right QLD player being there to finish the job. How many times with less than 10 to go did Lockyer save Qld? Cronk saved you guys last year in game 3.

I have always said I supported NSW. I just never got emotional over losing the series like I would feel after a Rabbitohs match, but I have the last few series. Plus seeing all the band wagoners, again who have never lived in QLD, cheering like they do - piss me off !!!

Yes Ning. We have this debate every year. Just admit it, that you are the original turncoat. :001_tt2:

There are 2 things I don't like about it.

1. The fact that it disprupts the Broncos so much. This can be fixed, stand alone weekends, and I don't have a problem anymore. No other Sport in the world has this kind of disruption.

2. The team I support in it has a few guys in the team that I fucking hate. One is the captain, the other 2 are part of the spine. Until the time they retire, I can't see me being too into it.

I love origin, but have been rather frustrated when such a large contingent of the Broncos represented Queensland.

There should be 3 rep weekends for all SOO games and exhibition matches involving Pacific Islands XIII vs PNG or NZ. Maybe an U20's Koori vs Murri game (that could replace the farce that is the all stars game)?

Would you mind answering a couple of questions?

1. Were you born in NSW and do you still live there?

2. Did you at one time support NSW?

Thanks in advance.

1. Born in NSW and still live here.

2. Have only ever supported Queensland.

Couldn't give two ***** if that bothers you.

Even though I've lost 7 straight series I still love Origin and Origin time is one of the most enjoyable events of the year. I would think the Blues mean more to me than the Broncos, I would love too see us win another premiership but I would literally sacrafice my nuts if it was going to bring the Origin sheild back to NSW.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • cento
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.