Origin to move to Monday nights (maybe)

I'd prefer origin on a stand alone weekend.

Flutterby said:
Nashy said:
Nope.

Origin is for Wednesdays.

Oh spare me. Origin has not always been played on Wednesdays. In fact I think when it first started it was played on Mondays (I am sure someone else will be able to correct me on that if not). SOO has been played on a few different days of the week through it's history.

It's that kind of attitude in refusing to even consider a single change to any part of the game - even if said change might make it better - that holds the game back (and led to the Super League war).

Lol. How is not moving SOO by two days holding the game back? I don't care if it's been changed a few times in history. It's on Wednesdays. That's where it should stay.

It's those kind of decisions that cause dumb changes that aren't needed.

What's needed, is byes for rep weeks. Not to start moving shit.

I'd prefer Origin Post-Season Before Internationals start.

Nashy said:
What's needed, is byes for rep weeks. Not to start moving shit.

So moving either the start or the end of the season to fit all the games in then? Either way something has to change/move unless we just stay with the current situation.

draggx said:
I'd prefer Origin Post-Season Before Internationals start.

Don't think it would work. Plenty of players get surgery straight after there last game of the season. More chance of getting players fit and firing mid season IMO.

Stand alone weekends.
Right now we have a few rounds a year with only 4-7 games, not great.

If we have 3 stand alone weekends which would only mean an extra bye for every team then every round besides origin weeks would be full rounds with all 8 matches taking place.

To make up for the lost week we cut one trial game and make the season one week longer.

Case closed, **** channel 9. That way is fairest for clubs and optimal for player welfare.
It means clubs like us don't get fucked up around origin period every year, I'm fking sick of it tbh,, it's extremely frustrating for fans of clubs that have a lot of origin players.

Why is everyone so keen to stick it to the commercial stakeholders? That includes the players. They are the first to want more money come contract time. If they want it, then frankly this is the price they have to pay.

broncospwn said:
Case closed, **** channel 9. That way is fairest for clubs and optimal for player welfare.
It means clubs like us don't get **** up around origin period every year, I'm fking sick of it tbh,, it's extremely frustrating for fans of clubs that have a lot of origin players.

The game isn't in a position to stick it to Channel 9. We are angling for a huge TV deal so like it or not we have to keep them happy, or else the value of the game will plunge when negotiations are taking place between the commercial networks.

Jeba said:
broncospwn said:
It means clubs like us don't get **** up around origin period every year, I'm fking sick of it tbh,, it's extremely frustrating for fans of clubs that have a lot of origin players.

The game isn't in a position to stick it to Channel 9. We are angling for a huge TV deal so like it or not we have to keep them happy, or else the value of the game will plunge when negotiations are taking place between the commercial networks.
Well channel 9 would still be getting the same amount of games per season so it's very doable.

broncospwn said:
Jeba said:
broncospwn said:

Well channel 9 would still be getting the same amount of games per season so it's very doable.

Do you really think that's the best thing for player welfare though? Making the season even LONGER? Remember under your scenario the Test/Origin players wouldn't have any weeks off.

Jeba said:
broncospwn said:
Jeba said:
broncospwn said:

Do you really think that's the best thing for player welfare though? Making the season even LONGER? Remember under your scenario the Test/Origin players wouldn't have any weeks off.
Well the season is technically longer but really it's the same thing. Most players(good ones included) play the final bye round anyway.

I didn't consider that actually but right now for clubs like us we get our byes around origin time(IIRC) so really our origin players don't get any weeks off either, but I agree for some clubs it's not a good solution.

Players could still be rested for 1 or 2 games a season like Griffin is doing now but at least it means we won't be in the the situation where every round before origin is virtually a write off and usually the games after origin too. Essentially a 9 week period where clubs like us and Melbourne are stuffed over big time.

If you want to play Origin and Internationals after the GF, then you have to shorten the premiership and have it finish in July/August. That'll NEVER happen.

Maybe we don't need to change too much, but just be a bit smarter as to how the draw is arranged.
For example we have just had the first origin game and Lockyer and Thaiday were rested in the following game. Now if the origin squads (not the run on team - just the squad) were known just a little earlier the NRL could work out which teams the majority of the players come from (for example, Broncos, Storm, Dragons) and schedule the 'majority' (it will be impossible to please every one) of these games early (on a Friday, or Saturday) the week before the origin game, and then the following week on a Sunday.
Hopefully giving the majority of players the maximum time to recover. At the moment it seems like this isn;t even factored in. Surely it can't be that hard to implement ??

Cheers.

Up until game 2 1989, Origin was played on the Tuesday.

It has been played on Monday, Friday & Sunday.

Kaz said:
Up until game 2 1989, Origin was played on the Tuesday.

It has been played on Monday, Friday & Sunday.

And Thursday too

How many years was it played on those days consecutively compared to Wednesday.

Move it to Friday and have Rebecca black as the entertainment instead of James blunt

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.