Origin to move to Monday nights (maybe)

Nashy said:
How many years was it played on those days consecutively compared to Wednesday.

What does it matter?

The Rock said:
Is Origin going to die if it gets played on Monday nights? No it won't so who cares?

We all complained for years about the change to Sunday nights for the Grand Final but that didn't seem to kill rugby league.

Put it on Mondays. Who cares.

My god, I agree with something Rocky said during Origin time! [icon_lol1.

PS: Prefer daytime Grand Finals :P

Draught4me said:
Maybe we don't need to change too much, but just be a bit smarter as to how the draw is arranged.
For example we have just had the first origin game and Lockyer and Thaiday were rested in the following game. Now if the origin squads (not the run on team - just the squad) were known just a little earlier the NRL could work out which teams the majority of the players come from (for example, Broncos, Storm, Dragons) and schedule the 'majority' (it will be impossible to please every one) of these games early (on a Friday, or Saturday) the week before the origin game, and then the following week on a Sunday.
Hopefully giving the majority of players the maximum time to recover. At the moment it seems like this isn;t even factored in. Surely it can't be that hard to implement ??

Cheers.

I don't agree with this for the following reasons:

1) Every player I have ever heard talk about is says if they have to back up after rep games it is better to play sooner rather than later (ie Friday, not Sunday) - so scheduling the majority of them to play the Sunday after Origin will be worse for player welfare
2) My main thing I want changed about the NRL draw is that is it is realeased IN FULL with specific dates for each match prior to the season commencing. So for your proposal to happen, the squads would need to be named at the end of the previous season - not gonna happen.

Officials will meet Channel Nine executives next week. Under the revised plan, devised by NRL football operations manager Nathan McGuirk in consultation with the clubs, the season would begin a week early to accommodate a stand-alone weekend featuring a Test between Australia and New Zealand and the traditional City-Country game.

State of Origin games would continue to be played on Wednesday nights but crucially only one Friday night game would follow those matches, rather than the existing two. The NRL will also move to ensure the selected Friday night game does not include any sides with a traditionally high number of Origin players.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6068449943

So stand alone weekend for the Anzac test, If this works we could see Origin get a stand alone weekend down the track.

Reading more into that article as well, Griffin doesn't mind telling the media what he thinks.

Stand alone weekend for Anzac test? I'd rather they just scrapped the test altogether. IMO there's no game as insignificant and boring as a test match.

Except the 2015 game planned for Istanbul!

Ari Gold said:
Stand alone weekend for Anzac test? I'd rather they just scrapped the test altogether. IMO there's no game as insignificant and boring as a test match.

Well if ANZAC test is played on Anzac day it would be the best option IMO.

It hasn't been the ANZAC test for a number of years. It is called the Trans Tasman test.

FIWI, I think it should revert to being the ANZAC test and played on ANZAC day, instead of the Dragons-Roosters game.

Ari Gold said:

City/Country.

Alec said:
Ari Gold said:

City/Country.

All Stars.

It's never going to happen but I think the season should be shortened anyway, down to twenty or eighteen games, and that would allow stand-alone Test and Origin weekends in the middle of the season, plus two byes for each team, and the season would then still cover the same amount of weeks it does currently.

If they want more than one game to televise on the Origin weekends, why not implement some other stand alone games - a Kiwis vs Rest of the World team starring some of the British imports and players from island nations who would only get a representative run at World Cup time otherwise, or an under-twenties Origin series so that we can watch the next generation running around, and create some interest in that comp. The latter would also help develop players for the main event down the track...

Take the (maybe) out of the thread title......

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/stat ... 6077900637

NRL boss David Gallop has finally acted on the growing anger over player burnout by switching next year's Anzac Test match and City-Country to a stand-alone weekend.

And from 2013, Origin matches will be switched to Monday nights to give players at least four days to recover for their club games.

Hopefully this means the Test is played on Friday night, while City/Country is moved to Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
  • MasterWright
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.