Our new halfback should be

If Elgey and Taylor gel well then 2018 is a big year for Gold Coast. They may even give it a shake this year.

I have had my criticisms of Hunt, though I never threw him under the bus. But I think we have been left with our pants down a little in this process regardless of how good people assume Milf will be.

I didn't think it would come down to Hunt OR Milf - but if that is indeed what has happened, I'm happy keeping Milford.

I didn't think it would come down to Hunt OR Milf - but if that is indeed what has happened, I'm happy keeping Milford.

True, Milford is by far the better player ... but he can no longer be just a running half, he now needs to turn himself into the complete half.

Milf has definitely had exceptional moments. He really charged out of the blocks and had a cracking start to last season. He then fell away and was guilty of poor decision making and going missing as did Hunt. Will be interesting to see how he responds this year now knowing Hunt is going. Will we see him take more responsibility.

It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff react as well. It was apparent hunt was being groomed as the controlling half last year with the new assistant coach we have it would be great to see them progress milf into the controlling half.

Looking at the halves situations around the NRL and not just broncos it seems that running halves are a dime a dozen whereas a controlling half is becoming harder to find and the complete half is occupied by only a couple JT, Cooper, SJ (just), maybe sezer?? DCE (yes everyone thinks he's overrated but that manly team is a fucking rabble)

When is Adam Reynolds on the market? Other than JT and Cronk, I couldn't think of a player that would better compliment Milford.

theoretically, when fit he is an amazing organiser and a 2010 Sowie level kicker. To bad he's signed until 2022.

Wait...Let's sign Sowie!

Realistically though, there is a shortage of good organising halves and none of them are on the market except potentially Foran.

Adam Reynolds re-signed with bunnies last year and is the NSW halfback why would he move to Brisbane unless we offered him massive overs... who's next on the broncs should sign xxx just because???

Hodgkinson.

Been thinking about Roberts. If Roberts is in the radar, why not think about Hodgkinson.

Calming influence on Milf.

Think Milf needs that. Sometimes it's like his mind is moving too quick for his own good.

Fix the goal kicking issue too.

Hodkinson signed 3yr at $600k or something which would make him unavailable till 2019.

Would also be the wrong side of 30 and possibly looking at a super league retirement fund

Interesting article. On the discussion of Kane Elegey and Ash Taylor the media have really only been speculating this. There has been no sources from the Broncos that they are actively looking to recruit either player and nor should there be as their both contracted for another two years. Broncos best option is too make good with what they have or look at other options. To actively wait two years is crazy and I doubt its in the Broncos plans.

The Broncos and Titans have both made use of geographical proximity in recruiting from each other in recent years, but Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley said neither Taylor nor Elgey would be an option for the Broncos in 2018.

Ben Hunt is none of our business — that’s a Broncos issue, but both of our halves are contracted to the end of 2018,’’ Annesley said.
“They are both very happy at the Titans.
“Ash Taylor had his contract extended (in September) to the end of 2018. Kane Elgey was extended around this time last year until the end of 2018 as well.’’
Under NRL rules, players can only be approached when they start the final year of their contracts, from November 1 of the previous year.
Taylor joined Gold Coast after one first-grade appearance for Brisbane in 2015 and was named the 2016 NRL rookie of the year for his 22-match tour of duty for the Titans.
Contacted by The Courier-Mail yesterday, Bennett declined to comment on the status of Hunt, who is reported to have been offered an eye-watering $6 million over five years.
Once a player on his last year with a club signs a contract with another outfit, his existing club has a 10-day period in which to make a counter offer and prevent his departure.
Hunt has been able to capitalise on being an outstanding off-contract playmaker at a time when a desperate St George Illawarra are cashed up due to the NRL’s guarantee of club grants amounting to 130 per cent of the salary cap from 2018.
On 2016 form, the Broncos would be expected by most observers to prioritise the retention of Milford for 2018 ahead of Hunt.

This is despite the club’s sentimental ties to Hunt, who joined the club from Central Queensland out of high school and became an international.
Chief among Bennett’s internal options for a halfback in 2108 would be Kodi Nikorima, who has been mostly used as a dummy-half in first grade but does have experience of playing Test football for New Zealand at halfback.
Among Queensland’s junior representative teams, the Queensland under-18 five-eighth last year was Gerome Burns, a Broncos contracted player placed at Norths Devils.
Rooster Lachlan Lam was his halfback in that team, with Cowboy Cooper Bambling the state under-20s halfback."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/8255a9af16096621dd9fff4eb6de5f3e

Can't believe Nikorima is going to be around in the year 2108, that's crazy!

Pretty defensive comments considering the rumours about Taylor and Elgey haven't taken THAT much flight. I suspect they will now.

What else is he meant to say? There's not really anywhere to go with that question.

Pretty defensive comments considering the rumours about Taylor and Elgey haven't taken THAT much flight. I suspect they will now.

I think the Titans know who exactly the Broncos are going to target.

One hope could be Taylor signs on the dotted line November 2nd and Titans say bugger off a year early?

Taylor is the number one choice, I really rate croft. As the article said bambling and lam could be options especially bambling since he's stuck behind test stars. Kurt mann played in the halves in junior level highly rated used awfully by the Dragons

One hope could be Taylor signs on the dotted line November 2nd and Titans say bugger off a year early?

Taylor is the number one choice, I really rate croft. As the article said bambling and lam could be options especially bambling since he's stuck behind test stars. Kurt mann played in the halves in junior level highly rated used awfully by the Dragons
We can't really risk waiting until then to sign someone though. If it doesn't work out most of the other options would have been signed up by other clubs.

Also another solid option who Bennett must rate is Darren Nicholls. He is only a back up at the panthers. Age is an issue probably another Shane perry kind of player

the Queensland under-18 five-eighth last year was Gerome Burns, a Broncos contracted player placed at Norths Devils.
Interesting he gone play in Queensland cup this year. Wayne did the same thing with ash Taylor in 2015. I don't follow under 20. How is this kid?

the Queensland under-18 five-eighth last year was Gerome Burns, a Broncos contracted player placed at Norths Devils.
Interesting he gone play in Queensland cup this year. Wayne did the same thing with ash Taylor in 2015. I don't follow under 20. How is this kid?

Only saw him a few times he replaced o'hara and he was quite good definitely my pick of the halves. spent time at five-eighth with Brimson at 7 then moved to halfback and isaako played 6. His age might be an issue

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • Painin the Haas
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Broncorob
  • whykickamoocow
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • Manifesto
  • Lurker
  • bb_gun
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncos4life
  • Brocko
  • pagey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.