"Overcoached statistical rubbish" - Ennis

The guy has put the broom through the side and goodness me it needed it. No one can honestly say that the Broncs were on an upward trajectory with the spine they had last year. They were worthy finalists but that's it. They were never really contenders, too much inconsistency and entitlement going on. Sweeping changes have been needed since 2015 and at least they are finally happening.

Does that mean that I think Siebold is the man to wave in the next era of success? I have no idea. Has he impressed with the first few months of his coaching tenure? Absolutely not! Is his bench use encouraging? Goodness no, it is appalling. Is he making needed changes? Certainly! Would I accept short-term pain for long-term, sustained success? For sure!

Siebs has not impressed me much at all so far but I'm willing to give him time. The Broncos (the team) need to be bought into the 21st century and Siebs seemed as good an option as there was available at the time and the club absolutely had to move on from Bennett. I know that point will be picked apart but my rationale is still the same as it has been since before he came back really. He basically inherited that 2015 side with the addition of Boyd and Blair. Both of them were great in 2015 but then the side lost and it was all downhill from there.

I strongly believe that Bennett got it wrong with the development of Milf and let's be honest here, aside from the early years when basically the whole Qld/Australian side was available to the Broncs, when has Bennett actually developed a good half? Lockyer was already a gun from fullback and was able to learn off Alfie and Kevvie in those early years.

Hunt? Developed by Griffin (and poorly too really). Taylor? Given away to the Coast. KNik? Could be a great 6 but isn't a halfback and absolutely the wrong fit for Milf. Hornby? Was already a decent half when Wayne got there but yes, he got better. Soward? Had all the tools and yes, Bennett unlocked them but he too had already shown glimpses.

Milf needed a game controlling half beside him, Wayne gave the best one away to the Titans. Other young 'uns, where were they? How did the Broncs miss out on ALL of Smith, Cronk, DCE, JT, Lewis, Munster, even Walker? Now, I am not saying that is all down to Bennett, it is very much on the scouts far more so. That said, even Norman has gone from the club and become a decent half (even though he seems like a bit of an idiot off the footy field).

Meanwhile, Brisbane has given away Allan, Taylor and missed out on youngsters like Mahoney and Grant while signing average or over-the-hill players in the 1 and 9 to long-term deals and bringing in an unneeded and at this point, overrated centre on huge money. Now yes, Wayne is not solely in charge of retention and recruitment but we all know what kind of influence he demands when he is in charge of a club. Bennett did a lot of good things and may even win a premiership with the premiership-ready side he is now coaching but this Broncos side was heading backwards, despite the promising young forward pack, there needed to be a shake-up.

So again, is Siebs the man for the job? I have no idea but he should be given two years to make his mark, good or bad.

One would bloody hope so. And the same for White. It's not like we are the Knights coming off how many wooden spoon seasons. We were one win off the top of the table last year with a stacked roster.

Look, by round 10 we would have played 9 matches against the current "top 8". So all being equal and the competition evens itself out a little bit we will start playing the lesser quality sides. So given this, if we somehow manage to finish with only 6 more wins from our final 16 games then i'm sorry, regardless of the length of Seibold's contract, etc that is inconceivable and it is a standard that should never be tolerated at the Broncos.

We are one of the most decorated clubs in the NRL and a sporting organisation which is the benchmark in Australian sport.
Even in the past ... a "rebuilding year" for us still meant we will grab a spot in the bottom of the top 8.

Look, by round 10 we would have played 9 matches against the current "top 8". So all being equal and the competition evens itself out a little bit we will start playing the lesser quality sides. So given this, if we somehow manage to finish with only 6 more wins from our final 16 games then i'm sorry, regardless of the length of Seibold's contract, etc that is inconceivable and it is a standard that should never be tolerated at the Broncos.

We are one of the most decorated clubs in the NRL and a sporting organisation which is the benchmark in Australian sport.
Even in the past ... a "rebuilding year" for us still meant we will grab a spot in the bottom of the top 8.

This is the problem though isn't it, we aren't in the past anymore. The Broncs have been serious contenders once in the past 10 years, that is cool but it doesn't scream benchmark. Yes, there were other years where the Broncs were right up there but not much you can do when the comp is tainted by cheating teams in the Storm and the Sharks but it also doesn't help when one of those sides has had the edge on the Broncs for at least a decade. Since 2006, not once have the Broncs been the benchmark above the Storm. In the last 6-8 years, aside form 2015, they have also been behind the Roosters and to a FAR lesser extent, the Cows and Sharks, depending on any given year.

This side is not in the past anymore, if they want to become a benchmark again, they need to do what the Roosters did and go in a different direction. Melbourne will have the same problem in the coming decade to what Brisbane has been going through in recent years. Like the side, fans would do well to move on from the glory years of 15-20 years ago too.

Wayne did us a favour giving away Taylor. The kid is a plodder.

you know what, Seibs is at the point now were he can tell the media to go screw themselves.

The media/club legends have short memories, how easy it is to forget that he inherited a squad with an
overpaid/over extended Boyd,
two running halves,
an average 9
and last but not least no real mature backups or salary cap to improve these positions.

To his credit he has given the incumbent players an opportunity to prove themselves.

How have they paid him back? With average lacklustre performances

He can’t win at this stage,

Media/Club legends less than 2 weeks ago- Seibs needs to drop players, needs to make changes, spine isn’t working, hooker is slow and average, need a genuine 7 and not 2 ball running halves etc

Seibs since - drops underperforming players, lets Niko go and brings in a genuine 7, does not at any stage publicly criticise any players or defer to the previous coach for a poorly left spinal roster

Media now - Seibs faces a mutiny, dropping/letting Niko out of the halves was a mistake, players want to leave, broncos regret letting Bennet go etc

Again, he could easily and I wouldn’t blame him if he did publicly criticise the previous coach for a poorly constructed/left spinal roster. The previous coaching staff had 4 years to retain and develop a new fullback, a real organising 7 and a new 9. Did they?

The more the media blast Seibs, the more respect I have for this guy

**** this I’m not finished,

The current crop of highly paid professional players can either grow up, play with real heart, accept the change and adjust to the new system or simply play in the reserve grade

48-4.
44-22.
46-12.

The above 3 were in a row.

44-12.
56-0.
40-10.
48-16.
44-18.
36-4.

Oh and missed the finals for the first time since 1991.

Love that resilience.

I think shit like this highlights exactly how bad sports journalism has gotten. Ennis is probably one of the better ones and even he just can't be fucked doing any sort of fact checking. They just make claims that are complete bullshit and no-one calls them out and lies are just perpetuated.

you know what, Seibs is at the point now were he can tell the media to go screw themselves.

The media/club legends have short memories, how easy it is to forget that he inherited a squad with an
overpaid/over extended Boyd,
two running halves,
an average 9
and last but not least no real mature backups or salary cap to improve these positions.

To his credit he has given the incumbent players an opportunity to prove themselves.

How have they paid him back? With average lacklustre performances

He can’t win at this stage,

Media/Club legends less than 2 weeks ago- Seibs needs to drop players, needs to make changes, spine isn’t working, hooker is slow and average, need a genuine 7 and not 2 ball running halves etc

Seibs since - drops underperforming players, lets Niko go and brings in a genuine 7, does not at any stage publicly criticise any players or defer to the previous coach for a poorly left spinal roster

Media now - Seibs faces a mutiny, dropping/letting Niko out of the halves was a mistake, players want to leave, broncos regret letting Bennet go etc

Again, he could easily and I wouldn’t blame him if he did publicly criticise the previous coach for a poorly constructed/left spinal roster. The previous coaching staff had 4 years to retain and develop a new fullback, a real organising 7 and a new 9. Did they?

The more the media blast Seibs, the more respect I have for this guy

The knik offload was seriously at the worst time, he could have waited till after we play the warriors. I always thought it would go like this, as in a total rebuild of the team. That's why I wanted Wayne for at least one more year, people can't seriously think we would be in this situation with Bennett coaching.
I have said I would give seibold till round 10 to comment on his coaching, so I will hold judgment but there's some serious cracks appearing imo

The knik offload was seriously at the worst time, he could have waited till after we play the warriors. I always thought it would go like this, as in a total rebuild of the team. That's why I wanted Wayne for at least one more year, people can't seriously think we would be in this situation with Bennett coaching.
I have said I would give seibold till round 10 to comment on his coaching, so I will hold judgment but there's some serious cracks appearing imo

Mate I’m glad they let Bennett go, a coach has no right to hold a club by its balls.

Forget about round 10, it’s a disgrace when an 18 year old on debut shows more heart, desire and leadership than the majority of the team

Roberts is an absolute disgrace
TPJ needs to study his compatriot JT2
Boyd - enough said
Macca - just isn’t good enough
Isakoo- deservedly dropped, should come back better

Etc

I’d be disappointed if he didn’t make the big call and drop players by round 10.

That's why I wanted Wayne for at least one more year, people can't seriously think we would be in this situation with Bennett coaching.

Wayne knows this squad and he would have massaged a few wins perhaps but the attitude would still be crap, up and down. We would have just delayed this 'adjustment' for a year.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are calling for Seibold to be sacked after this season if we miss the eight. If we're really going to sack people after one bad year, get ready for a revolving door of coaches. We've already seen that the current roster responds poorly to a coaching change, so just imagine the results a constant turnover of the head coach will bring.

Mate I’m glad they let Bennett go, a coach has no right to hold a club by its balls.

Forget about round 10, it’s a disgrace when an 18 year old on debut shows more heart, desire and leadership than the majority of the team

Roberts is an absolute disgrace
TPJ needs to study his compatriot JT2
Boyd - enough said
Macca - just isn’t good enough
Isakoo- deservedly dropped, should come back better

Etc

I’d be disappointed if he didn’t make the big call and drop players by round 10.

That's fine if you're glad Bennett got booted , but you have to except what is happening now and stand by it. I think we could have waited and thought about the process, but instead it seems we lost our man and had a knee jerk reaction and picked a rookie that was looking the goods at that point in time.
Bennett admitted that there was issues with the team last year and I'm sure subtle changes would have happened , but with what's happening I don't see it getting any better for a while.
I'm willing to show some patience but it seems the game plan is being scratched mid season which is stupid imo

I can't believe people are calling for Seibold to be sacked after this season if we miss the eight. If we're really going to sack people after one bad year, get ready for a revolving door of coaches. We've already seen that the current roster responds poorly to a coaching change, so just imagine the results a constant turnover of the head coach will bring.

So why didn't we stick with our old coach and slowly transition our assistant coach into the head coaching roll . It would have been much less disruptive and he would no the players inside and out. His coaching career was much more impressive than seibold and don't give me bullshit about nothing would have changed.

So why didn't we stick with our old coach and slowly transition our assistant coach into the head coaching roll . It would have been much less disruptive and he would no the players inside and out. His coaching career was much more impressive than seibold and don't give me bullshit about nothing would have changed.

Maybe he was shit and the board knew it. Last time we took Bennett's advice on a new coach we got Henjak.

Maybe he was shit and the board knew it. Last time we took Bennett's advice on a new coach we got Henjak.

JD seemed to have the more comprehensive resumè when someone did a side by side comparison recently.

JD seemed to have the more comprehensive resumè when someone did a side by side comparison recently.
I'm aware. But Seibold had the better record of head-coaching in the NRL. I'm sure the board did their due diligence on who the best candidate was. Once bitten twice shy. Fool me once shame on you.............

That's fine if you're glad Bennett got booted , but you have to except what is happening now and stand by it. I think we could have waited and thought about the process, but instead it seems we lost our man and had a knee jerk reaction and picked a rookie that was looking the goods at that point in time.
Bennett admitted that there was issues with the team last year and I'm sure subtle changes would have happened , but with what's happening I don't see it getting any better for a while.
I'm willing to show some patience but it seems the game plan is being scratched mid season which is stupid imo

It’s been difficult, but I’ve now come to terms with the fact we are in a transition period and unfortunately these things take time. We have to accept that new system will take time.

What is difficult to see is the lack of enthusiasm and energy from some of our players

I don’t think it was that easy, Bennett clearly wanted more years and further control.

The organisation felt that the move had to be made, the club has clearly learnt from Bennett’s past club departures. Whilst he may go down as the GOAT he doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to leaving a strong club roster.

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Manlyman
  • NSW stables
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.