Oztag

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Sorry, just have to have a shameless self congratulation. I went to the Oztag State Cup down at Runaway Bay, representing North Brisbane in mixed. We won the comp _woohoo_

Wasn't easy either. We lost our first game against Gold Coast 12-7. We were just a bit shaky in our first game.
Second game against South Brisbane A was woeful, we just totally lost our heads, didn't stick to the game plan, and we were down 11-3. Put it back together late in the game and got back to 11-9.

Two games in we were looking decidedly dodgy.

Third game Friday we played Cairns and stuck to the plan and things started to gel and we won 12-8.
Final game on Friday was against North Brisbane B, a social team basically who thought they were better than us and wanted to have a crack at winning the comp. We beat them 14-3.

Saturday morning we came up against Ipswich, who were getting flogged by everybody. But we took it to a new level. We flogged them 29-1!!!

Then our last preliminary game was against South Brisbane B who were unbeaten. We dominated early but they hit back and led after half time. It went try for try, but in the end they won 12-10 after a late girl try (2 points).

We finished 4th out of 7 so made the semi finals, and came up against South Brisbane B again. They were flat, we started really strong and they started self destructing - bitching at eachother, bitching at the ref, one bitch wanted to get a punch on with one of our girls, who's 17 and tiny. She stands next to me in defence so I was right behind her waiting for the cow to throw one!
We prevailed 9-4.

Then the grand final, up against Gold Coast again where it all started. And of course the rain poured in, wind howling, it was like playing in a cyclone in the first half. I missed a tag early and they scored to go 1-0 up. Then we didn't mark up and they got a girl over in the corner. 3-0. Looking dodgy.

We steadied a bit, and a beautiful ball put me through a yawning gap to score our first _woohoo_ So I evened up my personal deficit, but we trailed 3-1 at half time.
They scored again just after the break to be up 4-1. From there it's a bit of a blur, but we clawed back to level, then they went up by 1 again, then we scored a girl's try to lead by 1, then they levelled, and then we went over again for another girls' try to lead 8-6.

Then the siren went! WOOHOO!!! Man we were stoked! First time North Brisbane has won it in years. The party was good last night...still dusty now! hehe.

North Brissie also won the mens comp, and were runners up in the Mens Over 35s.

Go the mighty Eagles!!

Awesome Coxy. CONGRATS!!!! [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

Yeah mate like I said "WOOHOO thats cool"

And thanks for the drunk sms at 2.30 am this morning [eusa_clap.gi

Aeetee said:
Yeah mate like I said "WOOHOO thats cool"

And thanks for the drunk sms at 2.30 am this morning [eusa_clap.gi

Haha damn straight!!!! [icon_lol1.

Well done mate, good luck with State of Origin selection [icon_wink

[icon_lol1. You weren't the only one :oops: I think I gave Jeb some lovin' advice too! [icon_lol1.

And yeah, Origin selection trials will be next weekend or the weekend after. I got nominated by our coach, and he's also the Origin coach I think, so I'm in with a chance.

Coxy said:
[icon_lol1. You weren't the only one :oops: I think I gave Jeb some lovin' advice too! [icon_lol1.

And yeah, Origin selection trials will be next weekend or the weekend after. I got nominated by our coach, and he's also the Origin coach I think, so I'm in with a chance.

Advice is noted mate!!! I will make sure I never delete that message [icon_wink

I would've sent you one too, but I know you've had some bad experiences with them from certain people :P [icon_lol1.

Awwww my shoulders here to cry on...... :mrgreen:

The Rock said:
Good work Coxy!

And just on that other 29-1 scoreline - For real!? I have NEVER seen a scoreline like that in Oztag EVER. Never even heard of one.

Hell yeah!!! The mighty Yodas won a game 22-1 a few seasons back but that's the closest I've seen!!

Yeah, we had the highest score of the tournament in any division _woohoo_

We were just relentless!

God I'm feeling it now though. My whole body is stiff as a board and I'm still hungover! [icon_lol1.

That 2.30 message was AWESOME coxy. I'm just proud you kicked on til then, I drank a sh*tload that night and was in bed before midnight [icon_lol1.

icon_thumbs_u icon_thumbs_u Tops work on the field too mate. Play hard, party hard - a good weekend in anyone's books!

Congrats Coxy.

I went up and played the NSW state cup the week before. I got late call up with the Liverpool Cowboys 23s team and they were woeful. I contemplated not even going after the first and only training session I went too but it wasn't all too bad. We lost 2 games by 2, one by 1, one by 5 and drew the last.

It was interesting to see tag played at the highest level and I must say the skill level was pretty disappointing in comparsion to state cup or NTLs touch. Touch players are quicker, have better ball skills, better vision and most have unreal steps. In saying that I think my game is more tailored to oztag because I'm as slow as all ****.

I came back form the weekend with a new found passion for the game to play my mid week comp where I ran into a ****head ref of whom I had running battles with him throughout the game. It was the most bias reffing performance I had ever seen. He absolutely hated me. It all started half way through the first half when the other team was just inside their half of the field on the last tackle. They kicked the ball into me and it ricoheted towards their tryline. At this stage there was only one person going back to pick up the ball. I trailed up and put pressure on the guy to kick and he did but didn't chase the kick. My guy fielded the ball and the went to defend. Sweet I thought easy penalty, they're all offside. The ref had the whistle to his mouth but didn't blow the penalty!!!!! I got the attention of the ref and told him the the kicker was still 30m behind play and that they couldn't have been on side! So he blows a penalty against me arguing with the ref. I didn't swear - I simply alerted him to the fact. ****head!

Anyway so at half time I walk up to the ref and seeked clarification on the call and he reckons he called them on which is impossible because the kicker was the last line of defence and never chased the ball. I told him he was joking or something along those lines. The he got on his high horse and said 'mate I just came back from the state cup, I reckon I'm doing alright' in which case I said, 'I was there as well.. dick...' and the words trailed off under my breathe as I realised that we still had another half to play.

The second half was worse. Any 50-50 calls or 60-40 calls for that matter got blown against us. He hounded us with penalties, the count would've been close to 20-3 - it was ridiculous. One time I threw the ball to the other team after they got a penalty, they dropped the ball, it rolled away and we got marched another 10. fucking toool! argh! It was so one sided it wasn't funny. At one point in time in the second half when the other team had just reached the lead (we had a 4-0 lead before the first incident) he said to the bloke in the other team '*insert first name here* take your time mate, you're in the lead, its their time'. WTF! thats not on.. they scored off that and I ran to a ground ref who as watching and asked if he was allowed to do that and he said he 'didn't hear it' ARGH! Anyway so we lost in extra time drop off.

As I was shaking hands with the other team I was fuming and they were as bemused as I was. They agreed that it wasn't a fair game, that it was bullshit and it was and then some. I walked past the ref and said 'you threw a great game mate' and clapped him off. He responded with 'Mate I'm the best ref in Australia mate and you're playing what.. division 4?' I was a bit shocked at the time but managed to ruffle off 'yeah you're the best at rigging a game too' in which he asked 'well why don't you come and ref then?' and I replied 'because I can still play, you're old and past it mate', which came out pretty quick and satisfying. Anyway my mates were egging me on to biff him but me being a lover not a fighter didn't but which performances like that you its little wonder how fights come about on the oztag field. Incidentally it was only after that I realised that he was the ref of a game at state cup which had to be called off because of a fight in one of the mens opens games. There were about 3 different scuffles and one guy even got spat on. I wish I had of thought of that earlier and brought it up... that would've been gold.

/rant

So yes I'm contemplating going back to touch because I know I will keep running into that ref and well I prefer to play on an even playing field.

Sorry Coxy I didn't mean to turn your self indulgent thread into one all about me. [icon_lol1. But congrats again.

Ouch. I don't know where that came from. [icon_shru [icon_razz1

I actually sat out most of the second half because I thought the team would get penalised less if I weren't on the field so I pretty much did walk off. It's the done thing these days. [icon_razz1

Coxy said:

man thats awesome, good luck.

Denny: we had a ref a bit like that in our second game. He penalised me for a late tag, because a teammate had tagged them on the other side of their body first. I didn't notice, and the ball runner was still charging at me, so I took his other tag.

He said "the other tag was well off, leave it alone"...so I just said "did you call tagged?" "No." I just laughed and ran back for the penalty. The guy who I tagged gave me the eye too like I'd groped him or something.

But we had some other really good refs in the other games. Bazza is the king! [icon_lol1. We had him for our first game and the Grand Final, and each time he had a chat with us, said what he thought we could do better etc. When he ran on for the Grand Final we all just called out "BAZZAAAAAAA". [icon_lol1. He was awesome.

I know what you mean about seeing the game played at that level, it's awesome. I remember the 2006 state cup I went to I was just managing the women's team, and I loved watching all the different divisions. Last year I played in mixed, and thought I and the team were pretty good, but we only managed 1 win out of 5 games, and were well off the pace.

This year it felt awesome to be right in amongst it, and to win it was unbelievable!

Nationals is another kettle of fish. The NSW teams are a class above again. I'd love to go (we qualify by winning the QLD State Cup) but it's 1 week after a certain large event in my life and I don't think I'll get a leave pass [icon_frown

Frank the Tank said:
Coxy said:
I think I gave Jeb some lovin' advice too! [icon_lol1.
Sit on your hand until its numb so it feels like someone else?
Alright, you've been driving me crazy with the 3rd person business, but credit where credit's due, that is funny Frank! [icon_lol1.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Broncos Maestro
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • theshed
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • johnyE
  • Robboi_321
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.