International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Tumblr oupujeenYG1qkc9jco4 1280

Matt Gillett determined to join Broncos’ premiership-winning icons

February 23, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about the gulf in class between us and the Tigers, and yet the last time we won a comp was a year after them.

But hey, at least we didn't lose two GFs in 3 years like the Dogs.

They have had three realistic chances during this painfully long streak ('08, '11, '15) but a dropped ball against an illegal team, an injury to a star player and some opposition brilliance have prevented any silverware. Six years of utter mismanagement smack dab in the middle of it all has been a massive factor in this current drought. But it won't last forever especially considering the abundance of talented youth coming through the ranks. It could end as early as 2020 but '22 or '23 would be more likely the target dates.

They have had three realistic chances during this painfully long streak ('08, '11, '15) but a dropped ball against an illegal team, an injury to a star player and some opposition brilliance have prevented any silverware. Six years of utter mismanagement smack dab in the middle of it all has been a massive factor in this current drought. But it won't last forever especially considering the abundance of talented youth coming through the ranks. It could end as early as 2020 but '22 or '23 would be more likely the target dates.
That’s close to, at minimum, 1,000 more days of listening to the media and everyone on here gloat (media) and whinge (supporters, including me) about no premierships - I don’t know if I have the tolerance or patience in me!

That’s close to, at minimum, 1,000 more days of listening to the media and everyone on here gloat (media) and whinge (supporters, including me) about no premierships - I don’t know if I have the tolerance or patience in me!
If Cronulla, Souths and Cowboys fans have the patience, not to mention Parra fans who are forever suffering, then I think we will be quite alright to wait it out. The media only bothers the fan who actually takes credence into what's written.

If Cronulla, Souths and Cowboys fans have the patience, not to mention Parra fans who are forever suffering, then I think we will be quite alright to wait it out. The media only bothers the fan who actually takes credence into what's written.

Disagree. When you support a decent club, well run, with winning in it's history, it's an expectation that you get the trophy from time to time.

When you are a life long supporter, and grew up watching the turnstile of useless ex-football executives, being propped up by problem gamblers, go through coaches like they're going out of fashion, you don't have such expectations.

Disagree. When you support a decent club, well run, with winning in it's history, it's an expectation that you get the trophy from time to time.

When you are a life long supporter, and grew up watching the turnstile of useless ex-football executives, being propped up by problem gamblers, go through coaches like they're going out of fashion, you don't have such expectations.
But, like I said earlier, six of those eleven years, the club was reduced to just "run of the mill" and were no chance of winning anything. It takes many years to recover from something like that and they have done pretty well considering. My expectations were high in the 90's and the noughts. I am more realistic these days.

But, like I said earlier, six of those eleven years, the club was reduced to just "run of the mill" and were no chance of winning anything. It takes many years to recover from something like that and they have done pretty well considering. My expectations were high in the 90's and the noughts. I am more realistic these days.

Absolutely. But we know this club could, and should be better. So that's the expectation.

That's such crap. Stop grandstanding our passion and belief as being bigger than other clubs. That's the precise reason other clubs and club supporters loathe the Broncos.
Yes, we are more successful than other clubs and we had a period of dominance there for a while but it'll never be that way again.
We dominated through a period when there was no Melbourne Storm and the greatest long serving origin spine (big three) commanded so much success and respect. If there was no Melbourne, we would have likely landed those players and dominated the league double as hard as we did back then.
But it's good that we didn't. Melbourne had a good run. It may be coming to an end.. but if it was the Broncos being so dominant for so long, who knows, could have crippled the game.
We're talking about hypotheticals in a world that is vastly different to the state of the game back then in our "golden" era. Very complex systems. You even need to look at how much changes season to season with players, rules, coaches, television rights, schedules, origins, injuries.
How can anyone ever predict anything on such a complex, ever changing formula

This was meant to be a little more tongue-in-cheek than has perhaps come across.
With that said, having read others comments, I think there is absolutely merit in the Broncos supporters and club expecting success - all the elite organisations do and the Broncos are elite when it comes to rugby league and Australian sport.
Dissect it anyway you like, at best 12 years between premierships is far too long for an elite club.

That's such crap. Stop grandstanding our passion and belief as being bigger than other clubs. That's the precise reason other clubs and club supporters loathe the Broncos.
Yes, we are more successful than other clubs and we had a period of dominance there for a while but it'll never be that way again.
We dominated through a period when there was no Melbourne Storm and the greatest long serving origin spine (big three) commanded so much success and respect. If there was no Melbourne, we would have likely landed those players and dominated the league double as hard as we did back then.
But it's good that we didn't. Melbourne had a good run. It may be coming to an end.. but if it was the Broncos being so dominant for so long, who knows, could have crippled the game.
We're talking about hypotheticals in a world that is vastly different to the state of the game back then in our "golden" era. Very complex systems. You even need to look at how much changes season to season with players, rules, coaches, television rights, schedules, origins, injuries.
How can anyone ever predict anything on such a complex, ever changing formula

I would rather have pride and expectations of better things, than excuses, like you have.

Imagine a Forbes 500 board room running with that. "Alright, we were the best, but we won't be the best now because there is just too many variables in the market".

I would rather have pride and expectations of better things, than excuses, like you have.

Imagine a Forbes 500 board room running with that. "Alright, we were the best, but we won't be the best now because there is just too many variables in the market".
A Forbes 500 company won't have limitations imposed to them like the Broncos do. That's not an excuse, it's a reality called NRL.

We can and should expect big things from a club such as the Broncos, and despite the premiership drought, we have been close in 2008, 2011 and 2015 as @Accept said, while missing on the finals only twice in our history, both times during the tumultuous years under Henjak and Griffin.

That suggests a consistency only very few teams are capable of, while we have been competing against not only very good teams (Storm, Manly, Cowboys, which we all love to hate), but also the Sydney centric NRL, propping up the likes of Bulldogs and Roosters for example, by looking away as soon as there is any sign of impropriety, and of course, let's not forget their penchant to push fairy tales, which has undoubtedly helped Sharks and Souffs break their premiership drought, and will undoubtedly serve Parra well, once they achieve a semblance of professionalism...

Most of the Forbes 500 companies have a hand in tax avoidance, profit sharing, politician buying, and milking their employees anyway they can. Come to think of it they sound a lot like some of the NRL after all (Salary cap cheating, NRL Board buying, milking their players potential anyway they can eg. Cronulla) :p

Most of the Forbes 500 companies have a hand in tax avoidance, profit sharing, politician buying, and milking their employees anyway they can. Come to think of it they sound a lot like some of the NRL after all (Salary cap cheating, NRL Board buying, milking their players potential anyway they can eg. Cronulla) :p

Agree. No surprise that certain teams and players have more power than the NRL itself.

Well of course. When there's uncertainty in the marketplace, you see a crash or lack of spending / investments.? Right? So how can you even make that comparison?

Is this not why a betting market's price for us to win the premiership varies year to year, drops and hikes due to players getting injury, strength of competition, depth / strength of the roster to begin with, form etc etc ?

By your logic, if winning the premiership is purely down to the club's ability alone to win it, shouldn't teams who start the year as favorites only be getting $1.05 to start the year? And by your standard, which is us being able to win it every year, that should be us starting the year at $1.05?

You think winning is objective. Not determined on stars aligning, luck etc. But really.. it's like, 30% that.

Well of course. When there's uncertainty in the marketplace, you see a crash or lack of spending / investments.? Right? So how can you even make that comparison?

Is this not why a betting market's price for us to win the premiership varies year to year, drops and hikes due to players getting injury, strength of competition, depth / strength of the roster to begin with, form etc etc ?

By your logic, if winning the premiership is purely down to the club's ability alone to win it, shouldn't teams who start the year as favorites only be getting $1.05 to start the year? And by your standard, which is us being able to win it every year, that should be us starting the year at $1.05?

You think winning is objective. Not determined on stars aligning, luck etc. But really.. it's like, 30% that.

Do you really want to use gambling as a basis to your "argument"? Come on man, don't offend me with such rubbish. Betting is 100% made up by a few humans.

Come back to me with a decent argument.

Only 2 current players have won a Broncos premiership. Who ever would have thought we will see the day?
I hope at the end of this season we will see an increase to 17. If we don't win it this year there will be only 1 left. Gross.

Do you really want to use gambling as a basis to your "argument"? Come on man, don't offend me with such rubbish. Betting is 100% made up by a few humans.

Come back to me with a decent argument.
It is a decent argument, you're just too arrogant to understand it

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • sooticus
  • MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • johnyE
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.