Pangai Jr to play 'important role' for Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ALEX Glenn has named Tevita Pangai Jr as the frontrunner to win a spot in Brisbane’s top 17 this year.

The biggest battle for the Broncos this season is between their own forwards.

The club’s pack are currently battling for two places in Wayne Bennett’s 17 after Corey Parker’s retirement and Jarrod Wallace’s departure to the Titans.

Pangai Jr is one of many contenders but Glenn believes the young frontrower might have an edge over the competition.

The 21-year-old, who played 14 NRL games for Brisbane last year, was the standout player in the Broncos trial win over the Sharks last weekend.

He has been selected in the squad to take on Warrington in the World Club Series next week, and Glenn said all Pangai Jnr had to do was repeat his efforts from the Cronulla clash and he could be a regular face in the 17.

“Tevita has put his hand up and is willing to make a stand for his spot in this team,” Glenn said.
“We’ve got so much depth in our pack that the fans can be excited for.

“When Tevita laces up, he gives his all out there on the field. He’s going to play a strong role in our team.’’

Brisbane’s other young forwards, including Joe Ofahengaue, Jai Arrow, Herman Ese’ese, Jaydn Su’A and George Fai, have put forward strong cases for positions this season.

While Glenn said Pangai Jr was edging towards a first-grade spot, the others will not give up easily.

“There’s so many players that have put their hand up and have been training so hard in this pre-season that it is hard to tell who’s in front at the moment,” he said.

“(The World Club Series) is going to be the big test. Those boys are going to be playing for a spot.

It’s going to be a great game.

“The coach said after the (Sharks) game that it was the first time we had played as a solid team and we all did our jobs out there. That builds a bit of confidence in our pack.

“We always say if the engine room is not going forward, we aren’t going to win games. It’s definitely instilled some confidence and we just want to take that into the England game.”

Pangai Jr is keen to make one last impression in the meeting with Warrington.

Before the flight to England on Thursday, the promising talent said he wanted to show everyone what he is made of.

“Last year was a development year,” he said.

“This year I want to have a bigger role in the team.

“I’ve been working on my endurance and cardio so I can get more time out of game and play more minutes this year.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ale...n/news-story/f12a45d9bb0e431a1bab5a559a3e5412

The last line of that article is exactly what we need and that kind of line is probably true of what he's been doing i.e. bulking up over the off season, working on my fitness, etc. etc. etc.

A back row of Su'a, TPJ, Gillett and Oates in the next couple years would serve us for the next decade. Will be interesting to see how it pans out...

So he should be. Loved what I saw of him last year. He's exactly the sort of cannonball player we need.

I think he's still in the running for the run on lock position.

That's absolute bullshit comment, Pangai Jr only needs to show his skills in the next game.

That's absolute bullshit comment, Pangai Jr only needs to show his skills in the next game.

Dude, just because you think it or want it doesn't make it true. He probably won't even start in England. He has to leapfrog Arrow (possible) but also McGuire, (extremely unlikely).

I can guarantee that TPJ won't be starting. He doesn't have the fitness to be a starter.

Maybe next year. Maybe.

The only one of our young forwards that are going have any chance of starting is Arrow. But even then, that's a very slim chance.

I think he's still in the running for the run on lock position.

Don't think he is ready yet . I think he should sub in for moose or maybe sammy on the edge .

Only young guy looking at a starting position is Offa. Rest are bench weapons

TPJ is a big talent, but he hasn't shown a huge amount of it yet. We know what he's capable of, we've seen it a few times last year, but he'll need to deliver a lot more for Wayne to consider starting him.

There is zero reason to have him in any of the run on spots. he needs to build an engine and get his 1 percentres down. in my opion you should look at thaiday at the same stage in career. It took him 3 yrs to nab a run on spot. Yes Pangai has way more potential in saying that but you cant just rush this stuff you need to build a firm base to launch a career.

There is zero reason to have him in any of the run on spots. he needs to build an engine and get his 1 percentres down. in my opion you should look at thaiday at the same stage in career. It took him 3 yrs to nab a run on spot. Yes Pangai has way more potential in saying that but you cant just rush this stuff you need to build a firm base to launch a career.

Way more potential than Sam Thaiday? That is awesome..

Way more potential than Sam Thaiday? That is awesome..
What is the problem wild horse?
Potential does not mean he is or will be better then Sam, I was not taking a dig at him either. Just an observation, he has more size, power, a very fine offload and elusive running ability, compared to what Sam had early in his career . Sam was like a raging bull clone in some respects and I love the guy. Sam's done a shit load in his career and all I was saying is that if Pangai is used and developed right he could be special.

What is the problem wild horse?
Potential does not mean he is or will be better then Sam, I was not taking a dig at him either. Just an observation, he has more size, power, a very fine offload and elusive running ability, compared to what Sam had early in his career . Sam was like a raging bull clone in some respects and I love the guy. Sam's done a shit load in his career and all I was saying is that if Pangai is used and developed right he could be special.

No problem at all brother. I don't know much about our players compared to the folk on this forum and maybe only saw half the games the Broncos played last year. I think it is exciting that Pangai has big potential and if he can push on to represent as well or even better than Sam I think that is awesome. Looking forward to keeping an eye on him more this year.

Sorry bud thought you may of been pissed at the comparison and thought I should explain. Some people get a bit edgy when there favs are dissed on these forums haha Welcome aboard.

Was a bit of a nothing article there though. Glenn: "Oh yeah, Pangai wants it. Blah blah blah. Every other bloke trying for those spots also wants it."

Active Now

• YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • NSW stables
  • broncos4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Aldo
  • davidp
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.