NEWS Parker fears Cobbo could be poached by "lesser clubs" after Magic Round brilliance

BHQArticleImageLarge50

Brisbane Broncos great Corey Parker fears the Broncos may lose Selwyn Cobbo to a rival club following his standout performance at fullback during Magic Round.

Deputising for the injured Reece Walsh, Cobbo was dominant against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, running for 228 running metres and 11 tackle breaks on his way to a maximum six Dally M votes.

Cobbo can negotiate with rival clubs from November 1st, along with centre partner Kotoni Staggs, and Parker fears that having both off contract at the same time will cost the club one or both as they will be unable to match offers from other clubs.

“A lesser club unlike a Broncos might dangle seven figures at him and say we want you to be our number one,” Parker told SENQ Mornings.

“(Playing fullback has) highlighted him again in the shop… I don’t see how they could keep those players for the money that someone like a Cobbo would be offered on the open market because he can play fullback.

“I know he wants to play centre and he’s very happy at the Broncos, but money does strange things.”

Parker drew comparisons between Cobbo and Sydney Roosters superstar Joey Manu, as the Broncos need to figure out how to get Cobbo more involved when he returns to the centres.

“He’s Brisbane’s version of Joey Manu,” Parker said.

“You give him an opportunity and his numbers are great, he’s high involvement, etc. He goes back to the centres, and it’s how do we get Cobbo… the ball again?

“I just love the way that Selwyn approaches the game. He’s got this swagger about him. He’s got a carefree approach and demeanour but he’s hard to handle.”

In the centres this season, Cobbo has been averaging 139 run metres and 5.6 tackle breaks, far under his numbers at fullback.

While there are no evident openings at fullback across the NRL, with every club seemingly having a settled player in the number one, a player of Cobbo’s calibre would be in high demand amongst teams struggling to make finals.

Reece Walsh is due back for Round 12 so Cobbo is likely to return to the centres against the Titans.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I don't see negativity at all or doom or gloom- he doesn't say Cobbo should leave.

Again, Heals asked him what this means for Cobbo staying in Brisbane and Parker answered it and answered it correctly.

If he is playing fullback like Friday night, his price goes up.
Add to this that whatever CP says about Cobbo will have no bearing on what happens with Cobbo.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
So apparently Shaun Johnson has turned down 300k extra a year to go to the Chickens. Are the Chickens turning into the new Tigers? All this money but no one of note actually wanting to go there and take it?

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Let me get this straight ...
You folks are all upset that Corey Parker is telling the truth ?

I don`t see how Parker writing some dross on social media makes things happen ?
Selwyn - his Manager - prospective clubs have brains of their own . Just because Corey Parker says it , doesn`t mean it`s going to happen .
And further the notion that social media posts determine the value of a player contract is CLAZY ! .
I guess he tells one lense of the truth and then omits whats obvious.. Cobbo is Brisbanes "Joey Manu" - who is essentially, a centre that can play FB. If the Roosters can hang onto Joey Manu for 8 years, why cant Brisbane hang onto Cobbo?

ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015
So apparently Shaun Johnson has turned down 300k extra a year to go to the Chickens. Are the Chickens turning into the new Tigers? All this money but no one of note actually wanting to go there and take it?
Great Job Love GIF by The Prepared Performer

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
If enough big names turn them down - it might make the rest sit up and really think about going there.

Losing big names too - like Manu going off to Japan. It's good money but that can't have been his first choice.

Keary retiring early. JWH retiring. Suaalii going off to Rugby.

Some of the players they are bringing in are absolute nobs too - Cheese would be funny for about 2 weeks, then he'd really start to get to you. Spencer - proved he's a class act. May... that whole family is bad news. etc.

I hope where there's smoke, there's fire. Would be wonderful to see the chooks implode.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I hope somebody gives Cobbo some good council. Fullback is a high wear and tear position for a big man. One just needs to look at Greg, and the impact that had on his body. His knees were fried in the end and he should have returned to center, arguably retired early.

The other example of why not to go to another club on big money and play fullback is Trell. It's disgraceful how he is treated, yes he brings on some himself but how he got singled out this weekend when there is an actual domestic abuser going around in Penrith is beyond me. The weight of his expectations has gotten to him, he has also suffered a toll on his body. Is that worth the extra coin he has, the abuse on the media, social media, racial abuse at games ect.

At least at the Broncos you will be payed good money, set your family up if your smart. Work with dangerous choices and other Indigenous groups. Be a QLD Indigenous hero for thousands of kids of all colors and backgrounds. Have a long career post footy like our other Indigenous legends. Play In the biggest club in the competition by far, with the best fans and the best stadium in the league, so good "the" rent it out a few times a year just to get a taste of the magic.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
One thing that the media keep failing to bring up with all this Cobbo, Staggs, etc. to rorters... is that they would become teammates with Leniu... you know the guy who fired off racist remarks to Ezra.

Cobbo and Staggs are both Aboriginal... and yet the Sydney media are neglecting to mention that they'd have to play alongside this guy.

It would for sure be a nice little click bait article or question to ponder to rorters officials, player managers, etc. in regards to the topic and yet they dont bring it up... most likely because they dont want to upset Uncle Nick... and if that's the case then it shows a level of bias that a supposedly unbias profession should not have.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
He is not telling the truth though, he is just speculating. No one has said that just because Parker says it that it will happen.

Of course players will be offered more by Parkers so called "lesser clubs", its hardly a news worthy notion.

Its pretty obvious that Parker has constantly highlighted negatives with the Broncos and seems to enjoy pushing this narrative which is what riles people up considering in his playing days he could be considered a club legend. His sour grapes at the club are obvious in his commentary on Fox.

He could have said something like "Cobbo had a great game at fullback which puts him in a position to receive large offers from clubs looking to add some xfactor but the kid loves it at the Broncos and why wouldn't you at the moment, they have a great squad with an open premiership window. He also loves it in the centres so the Broncos will be confident that with a good offer they can keep Cobbo at the club for a few years yet at least. Staggs is in a similar position, not the versatility of Cobbo but will be in high demand for clubs looking for a strike centre. Kevvie has come out in praise for Staggs lately and he is in the leadership group at the club so again, will take a mighty offer by a rival to prise him away from the Broncos where he has been since a teenager"

But Parker seems to prefer that he just cant see how we "could keep those players"...
Yep, he is sure to say something like that. Let's completely ignore for the moment that in his role as a commentator he has to generate interest, outrage, discussion, anger, etc for him to be successful in his role. The way he has gone about it exactly achieves the above. Mission accomplished for Parker, he has all of these Murray Cods biting hard. He is doing nothing different to what Tallis has been doing. If they take on this type of role, you have to expect this type of thing.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Hey CP,
Why don’t you write one about Hammer being poached by a Sydney club??

What about Hynes to the Gold Coast to solve their halfback woes?

Dearden? Dragons, Tits or Dogs anyone?

I know they’re under contract (not that that means anything) however, I don’t see Corey making up click bait about other clubs…. Fade away and respect the club that made your entire adult life.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Hey CP,

I know they’re under contract (not that that means anything) however, I don’t see Corey making up click bait about other clubs…. Fade away and respect the club that made your entire adult life.
Or Papenhuyzen... he's off contract at the same time as Cobbo and storm have re-signed Sua Faologo... both can only play fullback, so based on media "they cant keep both... might have to move to play fullback"

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Hey CP,

To be fair he did pull the home sick jahrome Hughes rumor out his ass

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
If Parker says the Sky is blue, it's now red.

Everything he says is just Doomer bait.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Or Papenhuyzen... he's off contract at the same time as Cobbo and storm have re-signed Sua Faologo... both can only play fullback, so based on media "they cant keep both... might have to move to play fullback"
See! The list goes on….
There must be another 20 players we can fabricate a hit piece on…. But no, if it isn’t a Bronco….

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
I hope somebody gives Cobbo some good council. Fullback is a high wear and tear position for a big man. One just needs to look at Greg, and the impact that had on his body. His knees were fried in the end and he should have returned to center, arguably retired early.

The other example of why not to go to another club on big money and play fullback is Trell. It's disgraceful how he is treated, yes he brings on some himself but how he got singled out this weekend when there is an actual domestic abuser going around in Penrith is beyond me. The weight of his expectations has gotten to him, he has also suffered a toll on his body. Is that worth the extra coin he has, the abuse on the media, social media, racial abuse at games ect.

At least at the Broncos you will be payed good money, set your family up if your smart. Work with dangerous choices and other Indigenous groups. Be a QLD Indigenous hero for thousands of kids of all colors and backgrounds. Have a long career post footy like our other Indigenous legends. Play In the biggest club in the competition by far, with the best fans and the best stadium in the league, so good "the" rent it out a few times a year just to get a taste of the magic.
Well...the good thing for us with all the players leaving, according to the experts, we have about 7 million on our cap to spend....ffs ...lol

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • Fatboy
  • Gympie devil
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.