Pathetic Sydney Roosters Crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Seriously they got 6,478 for the game Vs Cowboys and are the only team to fall under 10k home crowd and they've already done it twice.

Plenty of times last year as well that they fell below 10k, maybe some statisticians here could tell us their average home crowd V other teams.

IMO, kick them out of the comp(I know will never happen), even Cronulla get above 10k crowds.
They are also the only club not to get a membership increase. Shitty clubs like the Roosters and Cronulla are holding back the game big time. Revoke their licenses and give them to new teams one in Perth and one in central coast.

I would bag out Souths but they managed to turn a profit last year and aren't the shitty club they used to be.

Thoughts?

Re: Pathetic Roostesr Crowds

I sort of had a debate with Rocky some what on this topic earlier on Facebook. However it went down the path of him bagging out Souths crowds(more so the Titans 8.30pm kick off game crowd).

On to the Roosters. Frankly, I can't understand why they got such a small crowd today. They are not playing that bad and the weather wasn't even bad. The M5 tunnel was closed and might have stopped a few hundred from heading in from the West. Someone said there were massive delays with trains, however seeing the location of the ground it wouldn't have been that much of an impact.

I can only put it down to them playing an out of state team on a Monday. Cowboys don't draw crowds in Sydney at the best of times, let alone on Monday.

I don't know when this website was last updated but here are your stats. http://www.stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2010.html

Barely being able to pay the full amount of the salary cap, not the Roosters they have a lot of money but clubs like Manly and Cronulla hold back the game because it's clubs like them which force the salary cap to be a lot lower than what it could be if all Sydney clubs could actually manage themselves and not rely on NRL Grants to stay a float.

Rocky I didn't know about the M5 and Cityrail troubles but I guess it explains why it was so damn low.
Roosters are terrible off the field as well. Me calling for them to be kicked out of the comp was more because I hate them Cronulla are the real issue they need to be the first to go. Is 15k home crowd average or just crowd average in every game the Roosters have played?

I guess there is two things which are in favour of the Roosters they have rich people who own/manage the club and they have a "history" in Sydney. Cronulla on the other hand is a big time offender and holding the competition back big time, they don't have any history, no premierships, are a shit team in general and are a financial mess.

IMO the Sydney market is too saturated Rock, do you agree ?
If you had the choice or removing 1 or 2 Sydney clubs and re-locating or replacing them with 1-2 new teams in different locations would you?
Is it a coincidence that the 3 clubs with highest attendance averages are all one city teams?

Re: Pathetic Roostesr Crowds

The Rock said:
Twiztid said:
Someone said there were massive delays with trains, however seeing the location of the ground it wouldn't have been that much of an impact.

The location is horrible dude. If there are City-Bound train delays then you're screwed getting to the SFS on time. Especially since it's still a 15-20 min walk from the CBD to the SFS. People would have just bailed as they wouldn't have even made it by half time. Also, most people had zero idea about the M5 closure so they all tried heading in and then they realised they had to get off at King Georges road! LOLZ. (I think it was...) Good luck getting in on time with a detour like that.
Everyone in Sydney would have known the damage done to the M5 tunnel and the repairs needed to be done to it. If you were going to go to the footy you would have planned around it. Going King Georges Rd only really adds an extra 10 minutes to your trip, it just looks worse. Get off at King Georges and get back on at Qantas Drive.

I don't go to the footy via train so don't know the ins and outs, I can't see it stopping that many Roosters supporters going.

The Rock said:
It's not Cronulla and Manly holding the game back it's David Gallop. He should bite the bullet, raise the cap and allow concessions and if teams die then so be it. However, the NRL LOVE to "baby sit" these teams, therefore teams like Manly and the Sharks fail to come up with innovative ideas and new strategies as a business because they know the NRL will be there by their side, holding their hand for every step.

So it's not those teams holding the NRL back, it's David Gallop.

The Sydney Market is not too saturated. There is plenty to go around. We've got NINE teams in Sydney and even the shittest team in Sydney is averages 11,000 this year.

It's easy to say all that sitting in your chair, typing away on the keyboard.

Gallop has to cater for a lot of people, thus he has to tread carefully with any decisions he makes.

It's not as simple as everyone seems to make it sound.

Are Monday night games ever going to attract massive crowds? I know I'd certainly never go to a Monday night game and there is obviously a reason clubs don't like playing them (other than the short turn around for next week)

I'm certainly not keen on going to monday night games. I generally play sport on Monday night and would much rather play than watch.

But that's a side issue. The fact is whenever Sydney clubs pull one or more bad crowds apologists make up excuses (roadworks bad, traffic bad, rail system is crap)...fact is Sydney people don't like going to rugby league games, they'd rather watch on TV.

Ergo, take their teams away to communities that would attend them. eg, Central Coast, Central QLD, Sunshine Coast.

Monday night footy is fucking gay. Hope they ditch it.

Nashy said:
Monday night footy is **** gay. Hope they ditch it.

It's made for TV so it won't get dropped. It's a crucial part of the Foxtel TV package deal, ergo money to the NRL.

Yeah, I understand that. But it's still shit IMO.

But Rock, surely the core demographic of the Roosters fan-base lives nowhere near the M5 therefore that would have had bugger all impact on their crowd...

Nashy said:
Yeah, I understand that. But it's still shit IMO.

So is income tax and high petrol prices....

I'm sure if Brisbane had 6 or more teams throughout the city a lot of those would get less than 10k to a lot of games, especially on a Monday night.

Monday night footy is shithouse though. Nobody likes it, get rid of it.

Scotty said:
I'm sure if Brisbane had 6 or more teams throughout the city a lot of those would get less than 10k to a lot of games, especially on a Monday night.

Exactly why Brisbane wouldn't have 6 or more teams in it.
And exactly why Sydney shouldn't have so many teams. It can't sustain them.

The argument comes then that "Sydney supported all these teams for 100 years"...well yes, and 100 years ago it didn't matter much if you were stone cold broke, players didn't get paid much and there wasn't much cost in running a team. These days it's professional.

Scotty said:

I like it. If I'm playing footy, I like hearing Sterlo on the radio (triple M). If I'm not playing footy, I like getting comfortable on the couch and watching it.

Coxy said:
Scotty said:

The argument comes then that "Sydney supported all these teams for 100 years"...well yes, and 100 years ago it didn't matter much if you were stone cold broke, players didn't get paid much and there wasn't much cost in running a team. These days it's professional.

Scotty said:

I like it. If I'm playing footy, I like hearing Sterlo on the radio (triple M). If I'm not playing footy, I like getting comfortable on the couch and watching it.

Exactly right Coxy and thats whats wrong with the modern competition, we are trying to support too many sides in a city that can't support that amount and thus it hurts areas like crowd attendences which only goes onto hurting the financial amount a club can bring in, Cronulla is clearly evidence of this and it's holding the game back.

Coxy said:
Scotty said:

Yeah I'm not defending Sydney having so many teams, I was just trying to say that it's a contributing factor in the shitty crowds.

Coxy said:
Scotty said:

If getting money from foxtel wasn't an issue, I would prefer to have the game on the weekend to get the crowds up a bit. If for nothing else, to save embarrassment. 6-7k is A-league standards ffs.

Bingo. And the arguments against culling teams are ridiculous. "We've always had that many teams". "Tradition". "We'll lose those fans". "Melbourne does it with AFL".

The only one of those that deserves even cursory consideration is "we'll lose those fans". That's inevitable. But by branching into other markets like Central Coast, the NRL will attract way more fans than they lost. Ergo, end up in front.

But after the Super League war and the Souths exclusion/court action, nobody's game to do it again.

However, interesting to note, News Limited won its appeal on the court decision that ordered them to put Souths back in the competition, saying that the NRL did have the right to include or exclude teams as they saw fit.

Coxy said:
Ergo, take their teams away to communities that would attend them. eg, Central Coast, Central QLD, Sunshine Coast.

Probably the sensible thing to do in this situation.

Roosters home games against NQ certainly don't have the best track record with regards to attendances. I think they even went as low as 4,000 a couple of years back. Perfect opportunity to pencil in an almost certain low drawing match to be played up in Gosford where a crowd of at least 5 figures would be more likely (even on a Monday) than the SFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • cento
  • PETERN
  • lynx000
  • mystico
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.