Pathetic Sydney Roosters Crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, taking games to other venues is one thing, but Central Coast people have shown they're selfish little whiny bitches that don't tend to support other teams. "We want our OWN team"...blah blah. But yes, still better than the pathetic excuse for Roosters fans.

The Rock said:
Up there in Brisbane it's all nice and well but wait until one day (heaven forbid) we start finishing down the bottom of the ladder year after year after year. I promise you that we'll struggle to average 20,000 when that happens.

I know what you're saying Rock - and it is a completely different situation for us up here. But a few weeks ago we were on the bottom (or second last not sure) playing Cronulla (a shit non crowd drawing team) and still managed over 25,000. I know what you mean about being last for years and years (yes, and God fobid) but we've still managed those sort of size crowds in our "slump' times in previous years. Brisbane people (other than the diehards) are very quick to get off the bandwagon if the Broncos start losing. After about 2 losses in a row, people around here are all like "They're shit, not going to win another game", "Couldn't beat the Under 10 netballers" etc etc. But we still seem to have enough people who rock up to games even if they don't think we can snag a win.

I have to admit though, that the crowd at the Cronulla game did seem small and very quiet compared to what I'm used to seeing over the years. I think if we start losing the atmosphere at the games (which we are starting to IMO), the numbers will go down for average games. Perhaps that's what the problem is in Sydney.

Sydney just needs more Sunday games for teams likes the Roosters. Sydney loves Sunday football more than anyone else and they don't get enough of it. If they want Sydney on Monday night football they would get much better crowds at the home grounds of Manly, St George, Parramatta and the Tigers IMO. Those teams have supporters who seem to watch their team regardless of the time.

Despite that, the bottom line is that Sydney needs more Sunday arvo footy. History has shown that Sydney loves Sunday footy more than any other time.

Who cares Sydney can cry me a river!!

Bucking Beads said:
Who cares Sydney can cry me a river!!

Shut up Beads lol.
Monday night games suck. I've never been to one and probably never will go to one. We played the Sharks a few weeks ago on a Monday night, it's just too hard to get to and from the stadium.

Maybe if it didn't cost $20 for parking, or if the trains weren't as shit as they are, I'd think about it.

Back on topic, I agree with Shaun on this one..

All Sydney clowns do is whinge!! When the Broncos had a Monday night match a couple of years ago it rained al night and we still got over 25,000

Back in the day Sydney teams never went anywhere, they always played in Sydney or near enough for a leisurely drive so costs were minimal. Now they have to cough up for air travel,motels and big support staff numbers. They could see it coming (the expense) but generally were very poor at preparing for the game of the future. 20 cent admins in charge of a game counted in the millions of dollars.

When we first entered the comp the admin of the game insisted we( broncs) had to pay for air travel, sounds fair enough except they meant for the Sydney teams when they came here to play !! We also had to pay for our own when we travelled to their place. One way street !! Wests would come up and could'nt draw flies, lousy crowds, so we got a lousy gate taking but when we went to Sydney, they would reap a bonanza, everyone wanted to watch Brisbane play.

Crowds are hard to predict but the Cows were going ordinary and Roosters were the red hot favs...hardly enough to entice fans out on a Sunday...and with the transport woes. 5 and half thousand might actually be pretty good.

That is rugby league's problem in a nutshell. We make excuses such that we can say ludicrous things like "5500 is actually a good crowd", and at the same time say we deserve a billion dollar TV deal and our players get $1 million a year?

WTF?

Seriously, the gate from last night's game would be lucky to pay for Sam Perrett's annual salary. That's a joke!

Roosters are financially fairly well off, but their area doesn't support them, they have no juniors, their supporters are dispersed. Moe or die.

Cronulla the same. Move or die.

Manly the same. Move or die.

Need to really work on getting better Memberships for all clubs.

Coxy said:
Roosters are financially fairly well off, but their area doesn't support them, they have no juniors, their supporters are dispersed. Moe or die.

Not sure opening up a bar would help eusa_think

I see what you did there, and I feel you could improve.

The Rock said:
*sigh*.

Yet another Queenslander who has trouble understanding rugby league in Sydney.

I have to agree with the Rock on this one - I've been in Sydney all my life and it's just different here. Brisbane definitely have the crowd numbers - can't deny that one and Sydney people like to watch the game on TV - that is true. Especially night games because a typical night might start off with watching the footy at a bar/club then heading out straight after... if you go to the actual venue it is a real hassle to do this because:

1) You'd most likely have to drive out and deal with parking/traffic etc
2) The venues are no way near the CBD or conveniently near... Rock said the SFS was a 15-20 min walk from the CBD and I think that is being NICE... I wouldn't walk it from the CBD.
3) There are 'usually' commitments on Fri/Sat nights - which is why Sydney people tend to watch it on TV...

Look, Sydney love day games - they love taking the family out to the traditional grounds on sunny sunday arvos and the stats prove it. I remember it that way ever since I was a kid and it's totally moved on to night games due to TV ratings.

Gus has it right about Sydney crowds - you've got to look at double headers at the SFS/ANZ and traditional sunday games EVERY week and even look into an earlier Saturday game. Funding should be implemented into the traditional grounds so they can hold more people... this should be for the future... Brookie, Parra, Win, Oki, Campbeltown and the dogs should come back to Belmore. I'm telling you now the current system has it all wrong for Sydney which is why we may have to let Darwinism take place.

Monday night games are no good for the Cowboys, Even friday night games are crap for them. Most of their fans travel from around NQ to get to the games.

Brisbane > Sydney

lol Rock so all Sydney teams will play what suits them

Seriously Rock - Sunday afternoon games are the most favoured/convenient for everyone not just the Sydney clubs. Friday night would be the second best option in Brisbane as well (even though this is when we get most of our home games). Saturday games are not as convenient in Brisbane either - and Monday night games are shit for every club. But fact is, most of the game's money comes from the TV deals and the TV stipulates Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday games - so clubs and fans just have to suck it up and deal with it.

All Cowboys home games should be Saturday night IMO. Even the blockbusters, I remember when my brother and some mates lived in Townsville, and when a Saturday home game came around it would be the only thing North Queensland would be talking about. Plus it gives those from places like Mackay, Innisfail, Cairns etc the opportunity to get to the game that they don't get on Friday or Monday nights.

Yup - so they need to come up with something with the TV people... obviously they need to meet halfway but I think the NRL need to be a bit pushy here.

Sat arvo games is something to look into but the traffic would be a biatch compared to Sunday. Sydney people love going out after so a 3:30pm kick off is on the cards here... gives them plenty of time to get home or head straight out if they wish for dinner.

Bottom line is there should be a Sunday arvo game EVERY week in a suburban ground (I know we can't do this right now) but it is the aim they should be looking for OR at the SFS/ANZ for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Culhwch
  • TimWhatley
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • something
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Morkel
  • The Don
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Bish
  • maddo
  • davidp
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.