OFFICIAL Patrick Carrigan re-signs

Contract seemingly based more on potential than current worth but I’m a fan of Patty and I’m glad he’s staying put. If nothing else it at least is a win in regards to holding on to talent that debuted for the club.

He has all the makings of a reliable player that you build the pack around and a future leader. Plays a style that usually improves with age.

“There was also some uncertainty about who the Dolphins are signing and what their roster will look like for their first season in 2023. Pat has been really impressed with the new management at the Broncos under Dave Donaghy and Ben Ikin."

This is a pretty big thing right here, I'm worried about the Dolphins, Welch has also re-signed. Redcliffe are going to have no one at this rate.

This is a pretty big thing right here, I'm worried about the Dolphins, Welch has also re-signed. Redcliffe are going to have no one at this rate.
The Wayne factor isn’t such a strong pull when he’s only there for 2 seasons. There’s no guarantee that a new team will have much success in the first 2 seasons especially as they’re spruking a patient approach to building the roster, and so you can possibly have 2 seasons under the super coach in a team of misfits and leave before they start to reap the benefits of a cautious recruitment strategy or you stick around long enough to risk experiencing the potential post-Bennett hang over.

I've been dismissive about their chances of nabbing Ponga, but I'm starting to come around that he must be who they have, along with Smith.

You arent going to build a roster in 6 weeks, which is how long they have been an NRL club. You have to get all your staff in place, plus its only 3 weeks or so since the contract window opened. I think its madness people think they should have more in place in such a short space of time. I'd be getting worried about them if they dont have the beginnings of a decent core of players by the end of the year, but at the moment, i dont see it as much of an issue. I'd expect 4 or 5 players unveiled in the next few weeks.

Sorry for anything I said Pat! <3
Yes I loved hearing the three of them had made a pact to stick together with the aim of winning a comp together at the club. Music to my ears. Having said that, I know pacts mean nothing when big dollars are thrown around, but
I've been dismissive about their chances of nabbing Ponga, but I'm starting to come around that he must be who they have, along with Smith.
Nah, Ponga has just come out and said to the Newcastle fan base "let's win a comp". He'd look real silly in 2022 playing for Knights after expressing that sort of sentiment.

Nah, Ponga has just come out and said to the Newcastle fan base "let's win a comp". He'd look real silly in 2022 playing for Knights after expressing that sort of sentiment.

Its fine, its 2023 he will be at the Phins! He has the next 12 months.

You arent going to build a roster in 6 weeks, which is how long they have been an NRL club. You have to get all your staff in place, plus its only 3 weeks or so since the contract window opened. I think its madness people think they should have more in place in such a short space of time. I'd be getting worried about them if they dont have the beginnings of a decent core of players by the end of the year, but at the moment, i dont see it as much of an issue. I'd expect 4 or 5 players unveiled in the next few weeks.
I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not judging the Dolphins recruitment speed, I’m just looking at the talent pool drying up and running out of ideas as to how they can field a first grade quality side come 2023. If anything it’s the NRLs fault for not making it official sooner.

That being said, about 10 clubs can barely field a first grade quality team so they’ll still a finals chance.

Wonder if rts is a chance of getting sick of union next year and turn out for the dolphins in 2023,he wouldnt be the first nzl international to do it.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not judging the Dolphins recruitment speed, I’m just looking at the talent pool drying up and running out of ideas as to how they can field a first grade quality side come 2023. If anything it’s the NRLs fault for not making it official sooner.

That being said, about 10 clubs can barely field a first grade quality team so they’ll still a finals chance.
I'm more happy that Patty looked at his options and chose to stay than I am that we've retained him as a player, if you get what I mean. He's smart, he has good taste and I kind of trust his judgement. It's a healthy vote of confidence in the club. It says to me Kevvie's sorted the culture, and that's a big step in the right direction.

I agree it would have helped a lot if they announced them as the next NRL club a lot sooner. Titans i think were announced a lot earlier iirc and gave them a better chance. Getting up and running in 3 weeks before the contract window opened was always going to be a big task.

They have really only been outbid i'd say on Tino. Welch and Carrigan while targets for them i dont think they were ever going to leave their respective clubs. The big blows to them will be if they miss out on Smith and probably Paulo. If they can get those two and build around them in 2023 towards 2024 i think they will be in a decent position. The one thing we cant discount is them negotiating the odd early release for somebody like Ben Hunt or possibly a Nicoll-Klokstad.

Not you - specific said few who like to dick swing at each other here.
But isn't it vitally important to establish who has the bigger and mightier E-peen?

I agree it would have helped a lot if they announced them as the next NRL club a lot sooner. Titans i think were announced a lot earlier iirc and gave them a better chance. Getting up and running in 3 weeks before the contract window opened was always going to be a big task.

They have really only been outbid i'd say on Tino. Welch and Carrigan while targets for them i dont think they were ever going to leave their respective clubs. The big blows to them will be if they miss out on Smith and probably Paulo. If they can get those two and build around them in 2023 towards 2024 i think they will be in a decent position. The one thing we cant discount is them negotiating the odd early release for somebody like Ben Hunt or possibly a Nicoll-Klokstad.
Apparently Tino turned down $100k extra per year to stay.

There’ll definitely be some good releases though. I agree with that except these are usually not the cream of the crop.

Still think Ponga is a chance. Wasn’t convinced at all by his comments when asked about Newy. Was very clever wording to sound committed without commenting on 23 onward.

Ponga
Milford
Smith
Paulo

That’s a strong core group. Especially if they can shake Hunt free from the dragons.

Wayne would have been on the phone since 6months ago. I expect they’ll have a competitive enough team ready.

E829B81F 5DC1 4F5C 9E46 90D8F0F95686

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • bb_gun
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • sooticus
  • Mustafur
  • Browny
  • Spoon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • davidp
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • lynx000
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.