Paul Kent hangs Wally Lewis out to dry

I actually think Ikin had a valid point. It's more than just Jarryd Hayne behind the Titans failures. Some of the board for appointing Jarryd without the blessing of Henry need to be held to account. Kent wouldn't let him say that, and went for the easy target - Ben's father in law.

Hubby and I nearly had heart attacks when the beef of the week was that Bennett isn't getting enough credit. About bloody time.

Comparing the King to Hayne, is there any level Kent won't stoop to?
I think the point he was trying to make was a situation where the club stood by the coach compared to the titans who appear to have stood by their star player.

Indicating that Bennet identified Wally as a reason why they were at the time unsuccessful and the club backed him to move a legend on, which in turn resulted in premierships.

It was a poor example as Wally was in no way a cancer on the club (which was raised by Ikin)... it all ended up being a balls up because the two situations are polar opposites.

A better example would be the tigers moving on Farah or any of the times a team has moved on Carney. Although the ending isn't as happy as far as GF's are concerned.

I think the point he was trying to make was a situation where the club stood by the coach compared to the titans who appear to have stood by their star player.

Indicating that Bennet identified Wally as a reason why they were at the time unsuccessful and the club backed him to move a legend on, which in turn resulted in premierships.

It was a poor example as Wally was in no way a cancer on the club (which was raised by Ikin)... it all ended up being a balls up because the two situations are polar opposites.

A better example would be the tigers moving on Farah or any of the times a team has moved on Carney. Although the ending isn't as happy as far as GF's are concerned.

At the time that Wally got moved on, it was definitely reported that Bennett held the view that his attitude and approach to the junior players was having a negative impact. Make of that what you will.

My opinion of the first few years of the Broncs was that it really was Wally's team even though Wayne was listed as coach. Wally and all his mates who he played with for combined Brisbane and Qld origin would all pass it to each other and run plays but some of the newbies never seemed to get the ball. My thinking on finally winning in 92 and 93 was more about the positive of Lazarus rather than the negative of moving Lewis on.

Not exactly a knowledgeable or well thought out point.

There were seven changes from Wally's last Broncos' team in 1990 to the premiership team in 1992. How could you say Wally was the change that brought that on?

Broncos didn't make the finals the first year Wally wasn't there.

There were two captain changes between Wally and the premiership year.

The change that brought about the most positive impact was clearly in the forwards, halves and backs hardly changed.

Alf had his best year in 1992 he had his worst year in 1990.

Plenty of variables.

If Kent wanted to make a more thoughtful point he could have used the older BRL guys as a whole and said once they retired which was always only going to be two or so years into the Broncos it left a younger more dynamic playing group that was open to the professional era that was about to start. They weren't stuck in their ways from 10 years earlier.

To just single out one is wrong.

Not exactly a knowledgeable or well thought out point.

There were seven changes from Wally's last Broncos' team in 1990 to the premiership team in 1992. How could you say Wally was the change that brought that on?

Broncos didn't make the finals the first year Wally wasn't there.

There were two captain changes between Wally and the premiership year.

The change that brought about the most positive impact was clearly in the forwards, halves and backs hardly changed.

Alf had his best year in 1992 he had his worst year in 1990.

Plenty of variables.

If Kent wanted to make a more thoughtful point he could have used the older BRL guys as a whole and said once they retired which was always only going to be two or so years into the Broncos it left a younger more dynamic playing group that was open to the professional era that was about to start. They weren't stuck in their ways from 10 years earlier.

To just single out one is wrong.

Completely agree with you. And perhaps the biggest change that brought about the change of fortune was the introduction of Lazarus and Gilly, which made a huge difference in the forwards. But would you expect a well thought out, researched and reasoned opinion from Kent.

And this is Kent's response to Jarryd's accusations. Mind you I wouldn't take this grubs word for anything since the Benji/Milford/horrified bullshit.

I dunno if I posted this already, or if it already has been....

But did you see Tommy fire up?

Completely agree with you. And perhaps the biggest change that brought about the change of fortune was the introduction of Lazarus and Gilly, which made a huge difference in the forwards. But would you expect a well thought out, researched and reasoned opinion from Kent.

Two of the best signings ever for Brisbane.

Brisbane didn't have trouble scoring points they couldn't compete with clubs with hard forwards. Balmain, Bulldogs, Souths, Raiders and Penrith.

Broncos took till 1990 to even beat Tigers and in finals it was just a bash up until they could get it together in the forwards. '89 playoff Sharks toyed with us, 1990- Penrith- Izzard has a day out after his forwards just gave him what he wanted, Raiders destroyed us two weeks later.

Brisbane didn't have trouble scoring points they couldn't compete with clubs with hard forwards. Balmain, Bulldogs, Souths, Raiders and Penrith.
Nice to see we've made zero progress in 27 years.

He had a huge go at him after game2 this year as well. Called him a hog for not passing to Morris and said he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Tommy talking sense

I am so sick of people saying Jarryd was a success at NFL

He went over there to try and make a career out of it, and couldn't get a contract

That's failure

Sure he played 6 games which is about 6 more than I could manage, but I'm not claiming to be God's gift to sport

The funny and probably most frustrating thing about the Broncos in 1991 was their inconsistency. We were one win or draw away from the finals and of those games we lost the majority were by small margins. We beat both grand finals sides that year when we met them. We also won the 5 last games before the finals including a 44-6 thumping of finals side North Sydney. More consistency shown and we would have improved on our 1990 effort. The signs were definitely there though in 1990 and 1991 the Broncos were very close to putting it together. They just lacked that toughness and experience up front in the forwards.

As for the 1990 side to 1992 comparison, I actually would have liked to see Wally injury free during the 1990 season when he had been moved to lock, I feel we would have seen both he and the Broncos perform even better then they did in 1990 and Wally's exit from the club would have finished on a higher note. That being said Kevin Walters had an outstanding year at 5/8th there despite the drama surrounding Wally's sacking as captain and move to lock. Winning Bronco's player of the year award and was also selected for the 1990 kangaroo tour. Walters was the future for the club and that is reflected by the success both he and Langer would achieve as a halves combination.

The departure of for example Lewis, Dowling, Miles, Shearer, Backo, Jackson between the ends of 1990 and 1991 did pave the way for a lot talent coming through to make their mark. We probably could have still won with Wally and/or Miles, but I think the club was at the stage it really needed to move on for the future.

The funny and probably most frustrating thing about the Broncos in 1991 was their inconsistency. We were one win or draw away from the finals and of those games we lost the majority were by small margins. We beat both grand finals sides that year when we met them. We also won the 5 last games before the finals including a 44-6 thumping of finals side North Sydney. More consistency shown and we would have improved on our 1990 effort. The signs were definitely there though in 1990 and 1991 the Broncos were very close to putting it together. They just lacked that toughness and experience up front in the forwards.

As for the 1990 side to 1992 comparison, I actually would have liked to see Wally injury free during the 1990 season when he had been moved to lock, I feel we would have seen both he and the Broncos perform even better then they did in 1990 and Wally's exit from the club would have finished on a higher note. That being said Kevin Walters had an outstanding year at 5/8th there despite the drama surrounding Wally's sacking as captain and move to lock. Winning Bronco's player of the year award and was also selected for the 1990 kangaroo tour. Walters was the future for the club and that is reflected by the success both he and Langer would achieve as a halves combination.

The departure of for example Lewis, Dowling, Miles, Shearer, Backo, Jackson between the ends of 1990 and 1991 did pave the way for a lot talent coming through to make their mark. We probably could have still won with Wally and/or Miles, but I think the club was at the stage it really needed to move on for the future.
My first exposure to RL wasn't till '91 and you just knew after winning five straight games and missing the top 5 by mere inches, that '92 was going to be their year and history will show that they dominated that season.

That's why the close calls of '08, '11 and '15 don't really phase me that much because I witnessed the Broncos in their golden era (5 titles in 8 years) and that will never be repeated by any side let alone the Broncos. Back in the days when all of Brissy embraced the club and crowds of 50K + was the norm. The same certainly doesn't apply these days. There will never be another era like it. I know I am straying off topic here but that was a magical time and if you never lived it, you will never know how enthralling it was. I am very fortunate.

Two of the best signings ever for Brisbane.

Broncos took till 1990 to even beat Tigers and in finals it was just a bash up until they could get it together in the forwards. '89 playoff Sharks toyed with us, 1990- Penrith- Izzard has a day out after his forwards just gave him what he wanted, Raiders destroyed us two weeks later.

That situation sounds eerily familiar, for some reason...

My first exposure to RL wasn't till '91 and you just knew after winning five straight games and missing the top 5 by mere inches, that '92 was going to be their year and history will show that they dominated that season.

That's why the close calls of '08, '11 and '15 don't really phase me that much because I witnessed the Broncos in their golden era (5 titles in 8 years) and that will never be repeated by any side let alone the Broncos. Back in the days when all of Brissy embraced the club and crowds of 50K + was the norm. The same certainly doesn't apply these days. There will never be another era like it. I know I am straying off topic here but that was a magical time and if you never lived it, you will never know how enthralling it was. I am very fortunate.

I am with you Accept

I came into RL in 92 just in time for the golden run

My son is now a fan but was born in 99 so didn't experience it

It's hard for him to understand how amazing that time was

A great time to be a fan. The amount of games we would run away with was astonishing. Teams would stick with us to the 60th minute or so and then we would put 4 or 5 tries on in the blink of an eye.

Spot on mate, that was a special time... I'm getting more and more impatient now, I know what you mean but having all this in the past frustrates the shit out of me. I want it now!!

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.