Penalties in the modern game

I've said a few times that we often get penalties we probably shouldn't but never get ones we should. And that's when everyone blows up that we get favoured by the refs and just adds to the Bronco hate

On the other hand, we receive the 12th most per game.

Guess who's got the most? It starts with a C and ends in owboys. What a shock.

Edit- in fact we're in the bottom 6 for penalties received 6 of the last 8 years.
Thanks for that Dash, where did you find those stats ?

NRL Ref recruiting poster ; Join the NRL Refs . So strict . If you make a mistake your kids go hungry that week !
There will be a line around the corner of blokes applying for the job ....................

And then you woke up and the sheets were sticky .
Not being up to standard is very different from making a mistake, which everyone does. Like I said, I don't demand perfection.

Someone at work made the second serious ****-up in a year, and was marched out the door. Probably worse than a week's pay being docked. Not that their kids would go hungry because of that...

Regardless, I don't care how they are made accountable, but they have to be.

Not being up to standard is very different from making a mistake, which everyone does. Like I said, I don't demand perfection.

Someone at work made the second serious ****-up in a year, and was marched out the door. Probably worse than a week's pay being docked. Not that their kids would go hungry because of that...

Regardless, I don't care how they are made accountable, but they have to be.
Two guys fucked up at my work, two very experienced operators, one was an instructor and in fact was my classes instructor from 4 years ago. They managed to put a loco in the dirt, blocking one of two very busy lines. The cost to the business has been staggering. It's multi millions ! The people and machinery involved to rectify it would blow your mind with two huge mobile cranes, (200 tonners) and dozens of workers all kept busy. I can imagine a whole plantation of pineapples being harvested just for the post incident review ! I cannot say for certain but it looks like both guys made mistakes and it wouldn't be surprising to see it result in termination. Where I work, everyone is held accountable and it keeps you on your toes.

if I made as many mistakes as NRL officials in my job ... I wouldn't have a job; but then unlike NRL referees, i'm actually held accountable for my performance (and for ensuring that my teams performance is up to scratch)

Are you running around on a field for 80 + minutes making decisions under fatigue ?
By that kind of accountability a lot of players would have hungry kids . Kick out on the full no dinner , miss read in defense no lunch . Lifting tackle no breakfast / lunch / dinner lol .

Are you running around on a field for 80 + minutes making decisions under fatigue ?
By that kind of accountability a lot of players would have hungry kids . Kick out on the full no dinner , miss read in defense no lunch . Lifting tackle no breakfast / lunch / dinner lol .

well that is part of their job and if they are not capable of making decisions under fatigue then they shouldn't be doing the job in first place.

players are also running around the field for 80 minutes (in many cases) and are also tackling each other, yet surprise, surprise, they are held accountable for their mistakes.

the officiating in rugby league will only continue to get worse (and that is a scary thought) until refs are held accountable for their mistakes

The "without pay" bit of the suspension is a bit of an over-reaction, and I'm sure is the only bit that BigDel has a problem with

When players under perform, they are dropped to reserves, but still retain their pay

Same should happen with Refs

The problem isn't that we keep paying them, it's that there is no admission (usually) from the NRL that a mistake was made which means a) no accountability, and b) no opportunity to improve

The "without pay" bit of the suspension is a bit of an over-reaction, and I'm sure is the only bit that BigDel has a problem with

When players under perform, they are dropped to reserves, but still retain their pay

Same should happen with Refs

The problem isn't that we keep paying them, it's that there is no admission (usually) from the NRL that a mistake was made which means a) no accountability, and b) no opportunity to improve
As I said before, that's fine. I don't care how you make them accountable, as long as it happens.

P.S. I don't know how it exactly works in the NRL, but when refs are dropped in other codes, they definitely feel it in their wallet, as they don't get the extra pay for refereeing top grade.

As I said before, that's fine. I don't care how you make them accountable, as long as it happens.

P.S. I don't know how it exactly works in the NRL, but when refs are dropped in other codes, they definitely feel it in their wallet, as they don't get the extra pay for refereeing top grade.

Yeah, so it's a good idea, and it likely doesn't happen here. They're all mates, so no good mate will want to see another mate losing out on his pay, or getting dropped. I mean, it takes a pretty decent fuckup to get dropped as a ref in this game.

Want to improve refereeing ?
Encourage more young folk to become refs . Protect them from idiots at junior matches , give them incentive [aka $$] path ways and training .
The bigger the pool of refs at junior and regional level the more talent to choose from and higher standards set .

Demotion is resonable . No pay ? Who`s gonna sign on for that . If some one eyed supporter or commentator makes enough ruckus in the media you get your pay docked ? Sorry can`t agree with that .

Encourage more young folk to become refs . Protect them from idiots at junior matches , give them incentive [aka $$] path ways and training .
The bigger the pool of refs at junior and regional level the more talent to choose from and higher standards set .

Demotion is resonable . No pay ? Who`s gonna sign on for that . If some one eyed supporter or commentator makes enough ruckus in the media you get your pay docked ? Sorry can`t agree with that .
Demotion means less pay in other codes. Guess what... it works!

Then you don't reduce their pay, you simply don't pay them their NRL Match bonus.

Demotion is ok if there is a base pay . I like the notion of incentive to get a fat 1st grade bonus .

I know things have improved but violence and abuse of Refs and Touchies is serious .

Problem with a lot of penalties is lack of real consequence. If you give away a penalty on your line to save a try it's a pretty good deal. Said it before but any defensive penalty inside 20 needs at least 2 mins exclusion. Be happy for 5 mins. And lower threshold for penalty tries for professional fouls. Just needs to be clear try scoring situation and more likely to score than not.

As for refs standard is horrible. Surely can recruit and pay well a group of 30 refs. And demote and manage performance of each. Need an independent set of markers to audit performance not Archer giving jobs to his boys. Need to leave Sydney too to minimise bias. It's meant to be the national rugby league not NSWRL but they seem to struggle with that concept.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • bert_lifts
  • RolledOates
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • GCBRONCO
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • broncotville
  • Old Mate
  • the_next
  • BruiserMk1
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.