Peter Wallace officially released to join Panthers

Ignoring Wallace's limitations, which for mine, the main one being inconsistency, I will so look forward to watching him play in a team whose coach focuses on a player's strengths, not minimizes them with shit game plans

The thing about Wallace was that he was exactly the player Brisbane needed. In 07, all we needed was a well-rounded halfback who could compete and Wallace had that in spades. I still remember his Broncos debut. It was a beautiful afternoon at Suncorp Stadium and everybody was excited to see the return of Darren Lockyer who was slated to make his return off the bench. Wallace at that time was just an unknown quantity at that time but in the space of just one half, it was clear he had a spot in our side. Good long kicks, nice sharp plays around the ruck - with Stagg as his main offsider, it was amazing to see such an inexperienced player lead such a famous club with such confidence.

Of course, Brisbane couldn't keep him a secret for too long and even though he was still developing, the Blues decided to throw him straight into the deep end. In fairness, Wallace played well on debut but he was eventually exposed and that really seemed to impact on him. He never really improved from that point on. For mine, he just went through phases of being in either 'good not great' form or being down right bad, never quite fulfilling his potential.

Mind you, I don't think the departures of Hunt and Ennis helped matters either. Their replacements, Hoffman & McCullough, while handy players in their own right, didn't suit his style of play and Wallace couldn't adapt or lift his game. Instead, he stagnated, went through the motions and over time his form decayed to the point where complacency became a big issue.

Still, Wal constantly put his body on the line for us and out of all the players always seemed to be the one trying till the very end and barking instructions. The guy gave his all and represented our club proudly, the problem is, neither party suited the other.

Glad to see he has got a contract for him and his young family. Can't deny his determination and toughness. Sadly he just didn't have the skill level to compete with the top playmakers. Happy for him though

How's the language from fairfax. "Lured" back to the panthers.lol

Pretty strange that my first memory of Peter Wallace is him kicking a 40 or so meter field goal to beat us in golden point in round 3 2007. It was crazy stuff we lead 28-20 with 4 minutes to go and the Panthers scored a couple of tries through Rhys Wesser (forget who scored the other) and Wal landed the winner in the 2nd period of extra-time.

Hodges with a crappy grubber trying for his 5th try proved costly

Good to see the majority of posts here are in the right spirit - thanking him for his undisputed effort, not holding his limitations against him, and wishing him well. I'm glad like most of you that he's been able to find a new gig and our recruiting luck didn't end up screwing up his career.

Good on you Wallace, bitch-slap Gould while you're there.

You can't deny how tough and how hard Wallace worked. He always put in and that is a great trait of his. That said I am so so happy he is gone.

I'm so glad for him that he's landed on his feet. I hope he has a fruitful career in Penrith.

It's already been said but I wish him all the best. Tried his backside off and never seemed to whinge.

This was the best outcome for us and Wallace, a change of scenery and different players around him is probably just what he needs. Watch him have the game of his life against us in 2014 lol.

I wish him well also, it's not his fault that he is not up to standard and unable to star at NRL level and it's also no his fault that Brisbane resigned him when clearly he was not going to make things happen.

If anything the Broncos extended his career and worth, all at the expense of the team and supporters. :laugh:

Active Now

• Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.