Petero's book

Fatty seems to care about QLD winning more than most. I've got no problem with him saying that, because there definitely was a huge improvement in all 3 players after the first game.

I have googled. (I know, I have no life)

Bennett concedes the largely restrictive nature of the NRL salary cap didn't aid the Broncos' attempt to retain Civoniceva.

The problem first surfaced on May 4, 2007 when Civoniceva's management team of David Phillips and Dennis Scott tabled a letter in Cullen's Red Hill office.

It said the prop was seeking $400,000-a-season for three years, a demand that left little room for negotiation.

Desperate to keep Civoniceva, the Broncos offered a base contract of $250,000, plus an additional $100,000 in third-party agreements that would be approved under the NRL salary cap.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...etero-civoniceva/story-e6frep5o-1226104979674

So who do we believe.

Petero mentions January 23, 2007 for an organised a meeting & Bennet says a letter from his manager dated May 4, 2007 with the amount they wanted.

Last edited:
Keep him on 400, and don't buy Clinton or Sims. Would have been 7 premierships by now.

My understanding of that time was Civo wanted the 3rd party payments guaranteed which couldn't be done. A few 3rd party agreements had failed for other players in the NRL hence the guarantee request. The club wasn't that far away from the 400k but Civo and management had had enough of negotiating by this stage and the rest is history.

The club did try and low ball him which would have been a kick in the guts, maybe Cullen saw it as a legitimate tactic but it's not something you do to a player you want to keep.

Last edited:
I might be overstepping, but I get the impression from some of these issues coming out that Petero is very mild in his approach, doesn't like confrontation and probably wouldn't speak up for himself too much in a situation like that. So I wonder if it was a case of Bruno thinking he could push Petero around?

From the sounds of things the result is Petero is a much harder man, judging by the stuff that came out of Penrith the last couple of years with him standing up to the club about coaching etc.

IMO Bruno thought he could pretty much push most ppl around. I think the whole negotiation was botched from both sides then time ran out and a decision had to be made.

I agree Petro probably learned a lot from that and would have been far more hands on in anything from then on. Life experience can be hard learned sometimes.

They should've just given him what he wanted - no one in the game deserves to be rewarded for his efforts on and off the field more than Petero. The bloke is an absolute legend and champion.

Bruno also made Bellamy walk away despite being "signed, sealed & delivered"

Absolute pig-headed fool.

I'd rather a calm and collected coach. Not a ****ing asshole cheater like Bellamy.

Bruno Cullen is one of the greatest stains on our fine club. I wouldn't p*** on the maggot to put out a fire, in fact I would p*** just near him so he can feel what he's missing out on

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.