Pick Your Captain

Who do you want to captain the Broncos in 2015?

• Corey Parker

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Justin Hodges

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Sam Thaiday

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Bring back the Co-Captains!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Parker C
Hodges VC
Hunt Future Captain

I lost all respect for thaiday as a captain when he packed down in the opposite side of the scrum with only a few seconds left before half time. They didn't score from that set luckily!
I thought that was hilarious! From memory, it was against Canterbury and pissed Ennis off so that's a bonus.

Can someone explain to me how Parker is a hothead or abrasive??? I just don't see it.

If his fans agree that McCullough is average when his position isn't under threat.

Lets make him captain!

Can someone explain to me how Parker is a hothead or abrasive??? I just don't see it.

Every time we were down on the scoreboard this year they'd show Parker standing all by himself with an angry look on his face.

Every time we were down on the scoreboard this year they'd show Parker standing all by himself with an angry look on his face.

Lol, somebody get that hothead out of here!

Hodges for mine with Parker the vc.
If Macca can be as good a player that people think he can be under Bennett i would promote him and Hunt above Glenn in the pecking order for when Hodges and Parker are on rep duty.

I don't buy into captaincy making Hodges a selfish player or robbing players of opportunities by going himself, he does that whether he has the C next to his name or not.

As I said before, Macca is the only guy that strikes me as a capable captain at the moment. Obviously, he needs to perform on the field, but hopefully this could take him to a new level...

I find a lot of comments towards McCullough on here very interesting, particularly the ones that mention him 'going up a gear' and being the player we need him to be. Let's keep in mind that he's played 170-odd games, has been in the NRL a long time now and he's definitely not a rookie. Does he really have another level in him? I don't know what the average lifespan of an NRL career is but I'm guessing if you haven't reached your peak potential by the time you're closing in on 200 first grade games you probably won't ...or you've hit it but haven't realised it.

For mine the captaincy is the main priority in rebuilding the team - yes, even more so than the fullback debate and our forward problems. I was reading Bellamy's book 'Home Truths' during the week and there is a great quote on leadership. He writes:

'If you watch a team often enough, and they haven't got good leadership, you can see that on the field. They are inconsistent from week to week. They are inconsistent in games, during certain periods. When they are under pressure, you can see that no one is taking the game by the scruff of the neck and saying 'hey, this is what we need to do now'.'

I think this sums up our season perfectly. It's the reason why we cannot build pressure after scoring points, it's why we play our best football when we are down 12-0 and the game is out of reach. It's why we cannot string convincing wins together. It's why the great Brisbane sides never had these problems - because they had great leaders on and off the field.

Bellamy goes on to say clubs without good leadership often have off-field trouble as well - like the dramas this year with several players being stood down for disciplinary reasons.

The captaincy is a crucial issue and Bennett needs to get it right.

Broncos 2009 - 2010 under Lockyer as captain were worse in every aspect that you describe than the years after that.

A good captain is not necessarily the best player, which Macca isn't. But he does have plenty of experience, and although his biggest issue is consistency, at his best he is certainly good enough to be our hooker.
With some players, responsibility can cause them to shrivel (Thaiday) or take them to the next level. Besides that, I think he has the qualities to be a good leader.

I completely disagree on McCullough getting a look in for captaincy, it would be like Gidley and NSW all over again, someone who shouldn't really even be in the team would then get a guaranteed spot because he's the captain.

I've made it quite clear I don't rate McCullough at all really, he's average, that's not to say he's shit but he's not good.

McCullough strikes me as a guy who would go up a gear as captain.

Hahaha here we go with the Macca hate again.

FTR Macca definitely does need to improve but he is no where near as bad as some make out and he is the best option currently available to us.

Cue the hyperbolic garbage about needing to be a hundred times faster in the play the ball etc etc

Glad I stirred up plenty of Macca shit. My point was I think he has leadership qualities. As stated he is well spoken, works hard and has the respect of his team and seemingly the refs. I was also happy to see that he outperformed everyone on the beep test this week. Can you imagine Thaiday ever doing that.?:clap2:

Parker C
Hodges VC
Hunt Future Captain

I lost all respect for thaiday as a captain when he packed down in the opposite side of the scrum with only a few seconds left before half time. They didn't score from that set luckily!

Yeah, wasn't what you want from your captain but **** me I laughed. The looks on the Dogs faces.....

It's like people don't like being entertained.

Thankfully Parker's stepped up with his 'You're a moron' look he flips the referee whenever they make a howler.

Personally a fan of macca as long term captain. He's JUST good enough to play hooker in a premiership team if the rest of the spine is on form as well as him. It may even be what he needs to go up a gear. He is the one player in our team with the leadership. I remember thaiday asking him if he should take the two in 2013.0

Was in 2011 against the Dragons at Suncorp (post Origin II) wasn't it?

Hahaha here we go with the Macca hate again.

FTR Macca definitely does need to improve but he is no where near as bad as some make out and he is the best option currently available to us.

Cue the hyperbolic garbage about needing to be a hundred times faster in the play the ball etc etc

Hundred times is obviously an exaggeration, but it's a valid reason why he isn't particularly great. He's now been in first grade for 6 years, I doubt it's going to improve either. I wouldn't be surprised if he pretty much peaked already.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Wolfie
  • Redux
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncsNBundy
  • The True King
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • winslow_wong
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.