Players identified as consistently doing the 1%ers who we should consider in our re-build

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I'd like to hear the thoughts of our members as to who we should be targeting in the re-build. I think we should be identifying players who may not necessarily be superstars but who put in every week. Tommy Opacic is an obvious example, but I think Parra just re-signed him. I've tried to stick with players who are not tied up on long time contracts. I'll start with the obvious:-

B. Smith (Storm) - might not last the 80 minutes but the effort he expels in the 65 minutes he's on the field more than makes up for it.

Papali'i - (Parra) Always puts in and might be gettable with a salary upgrade.

Shuster (Manly) Has shown a real hunger since starting in the NRL

Laurie (Tigers) Not sure how long he has to run on his contract, but I'd be trying a two for one swap and offer the tigers TPJ and Isaako for him.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The answer, especially on a reasonable budget was Hynes and Opacic but those ships have sailed.

Reynolds is a good start.
Capewell and Funicane would be no brainers culturally but it’s Dale’s asking price that would be the issue.

Hodgson would be next cab off the rank.

A leadership group of Reynolds, Funicane, Hodgson, and Carrigan would make the club culture basically unrecognisable- which i obviously mean in a good way.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Shuster (Manly) Has shown a real hunger since starting in the NRL

Word is he's not happy at Manly. Word is a number of players aren't happy there due to club's medical and high performance staff.

The players think they are being overworked which is leading to injury. Shuster is apparently pissed because he feels his calf injury was caused by being overworked.

Maybe there's an opportunity to swoop in there. I know there's a couple of players at Manly I would like.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Word is he's not happy at Manly. Word is a number of players aren't happy there due to club's medical and high performance staff.

The players think they are being overworked which is leading to injury. Shuster is apparently pissed because he feels his calf injury was caused by being overworked.

Maybe there's an opportunity to swoop in there. I know there's a couple of players at Manly I would like.
"there's a couple of players at Manly I would like" pray do tell.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
The answer, especially on a reasonable budget was Hynes and Opacic but those ships have sailed.

Reynolds is a good start.
Capewell and Funicane would be no brainers culturally but it’s Dale’s asking price that would be the issue.

Hodgson would be next cab off the rank.

A leadership group of Reynolds, Funicane, Hodgson, and Carrigan would make the club culture basically unrecognisable- which i obviously mean in a good way.
Yeh that leadership group looks deadly serious. Our boy Patty learning from a few past-masters too.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016

Hes hungry to get into a better system. I would say his junior club had as many resources as Manly does. Very competitive guy, very tough, but also requires strong boundaries. Watching him in junior grades you could see him developing into a ball running lock or back rower. I think this is where his long term development should be.

At this point in time i think he would not go well with the state of our system. Coaches like Des, Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett would get the best out of him.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Hes hungry to get into a better system. I would say his junior club had as many resources as Manly does. Very competitive guy, very tough, but also requires strong boundaries. Watching him in junior grades you could see him developing into a ball running lock or back rower. I think this is where his long term development should be.

At this point in time i think he would not go well with the state of our system. Coaches like Des, Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett would get the best out of him.
Dya not think Petro and Parker would be able to mentor him?

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Dya not think Petro and Parker would be able to mentor him?
Its not a mentor issue. The family all have fantastic morals, values and respect.

Its discipline in performance, sticking to the tasks to achieve on field. Patience in honing his craft. Guidance and tight ship to achieve them long term. The raw talent and hunger is there.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Its not a mentor issue. The family all have fantastic morals, values and respect.

Its discipline in performance, sticking to the tasks to achieve on field. Patience in honing his craft. Guidance and tight ship to achieve them long term. The raw talent and hunger is there.
Right, so at present you're saying he's not ready to achieve a consistent weekly turnout of doing 1%ers so I'd need to remove him from the list then.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014

Excellent bit of scouting - i really like Schuster, hes shown flashes a true quality and skill this year.

Not the finished article mind.....but the basics are there. He can handle playmaking duties in the 6 or 13 easily.

I cant see the harm in making a phone call or 2 to his agent about how impressed we have been with his development this season.

Another handy utility player from Manly i like a bit is Cade Cust. But id only be going for him if Paix decides to seek pastures anew or we tell him he is free to explore his options...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Excellent bit of scouting - i really like Schuster, hes shown flashes a true quality and skill this year.

Not the finished article mind.....but the basics are there. He can handle playmaking duties in the 6 or 13 easily.

I cant see the harm in making a phone call or 2 to his agent about how impressed we have been with his development this season.

Another handy utility player from Manly i like a bit is Cade Cust. But id only be going for him if Paix decides to seek pastures anew or we tell him he is free to explore his options...

Which I hope Paix doesn’t do because he is currently the best 9 at the club, though I don’t think Kevvie would agree.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
We need to be targetting and securing long time spine players - ESPECIALLY a 7.
Having Reynolds here for 3 years is great, but it will be wasted unless we can use that time to develop a future halves player who can learn from Adam while developing his game in reserve grade / filling in.

Active Now

• Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.