Players, management, staff are treating Broncos' like Centrelink.

My original post mentioned Kahu, didnt really feel the need to quote the post it was in, i presumed people who are on this thread read all the posts.

We arent asking Fifita to take a pay cut though are we. We are asking him to stay for less. Thats a different kettle of fish. He can choose how much he is happy earning, nobody is asking him to give up money he is already getting.

And if it comes to context, what context did these people you know take the pay cut in? Like i said, taking a paycut because of a financial downturn in business, or because of a once in a lifetime pandemic isnt even close to being comparable to some football fan not liking Boyd, Milford or Kahu for example earning contracts that are exceeding their performances. As much as it sucks sometimes, the players have every right to get what their contracts say they should get. And it should work the other way as well. I dont like how somebody like Matterson basically went back on his contract because he didnt like it after 12 months.

And i'm still going to say that in a normal situation, nobody on here is going to just give up 50% ( or less ) of their pay for no good reason. If i was your boss and i just came up to you one day, knowing you had a contract and said " i don't think you deserve $100k a year anymore, i think you should leave and work for less elsewhere " you probably not so politely tell me where to go! You will probably say different, and technically you are right, we dont know what everyone would do, but in reality, nobody is going to sacrifice a good contract if they dont have any need to.
I think you might be getting too hung up on the exact specifics of the Kahu situation and wanting me to agree with that exact situation.

Where you continue to go wrong is thinking that I am trying to say it is about what I would do, or you, or 95% of other people. It’s got nothing to do with me or you.

The point is, I am as certain there would be people who would accept the situation as there are people who wouldn’t. I’m also certain far less people would, but that’s not the point either. To some people, money isn’t everything. To others, it is everything.

Everyone is different, and to suggest absolutely no one would ever make such a decision is simply wrong.

FTR; I don’t have a problem with Kahu banking his cheque every week. He has a contract, so that’s his choice, his prerogative.

I think where the water gets murky, and why people perhaps feel he should ‘take one for the team’, is due to how he behaved when he came back to the club, showing such disdain and disrespect for the club that supported him for over a decade through injury, after injury, after injury. Here he is now, after giving the club both barrels, banking his pay every week, whilst still being injured and unlikely to play a single game in his final year.

Now it’s safe to assume he didn’t injure himself on purpose, but I understand why people get the shits with him after he showed such little respect for the club after all they had done for him.

That said, it’s not really relevant to my overall point, but I thought it only fair I state my position regarding Kahu specifically.

I think you might be getting too hung up on the exact specifics of the Kahu situation and wanting me to agree with that exact situation.

Where you continue to go wrong is thinking that I am trying to say it is about what I would do, or you, or 95% of other people. It’s got nothing to do with me or you.

The point is, I am as certain there would be people who would accept the situation as there are people who wouldn’t. I’m also certain far less people would, but that’s not the point either. To some people, money isn’t everything. To others, it is everything.

Everyone is different, and to suggest absolutely no one would ever make such a decision is simply wrong.

FTR; I don’t have a problem with Kahu banking his cheque every week. He has a contract, so that’s his choice, his prerogative.

I think where the water gets murky, and why people perhaps feel he should ‘take one for the team’, is due to how he behaved when he came back to the club, showing such disdain and disrespect for the club that supported him for over a decade through injury, after injury, after injury. Here he is now, after giving the club both barrels, banking his pay every week, whilst still being injured and unlikely to play a single game in his final year.

Now it’s safe to assume he didn’t injure himself on purpose, but I understand why people get the shits with him after he showed such little respect for the club after all they had done for him.

That said, it’s not really relevant to my overall point, but I thought it only fair I state my position regarding Kahu specifically.

I'm not hung up on the Kahu thing one bit tbh, i dont think its me trying to get you to agree about Kahu. I just dont agree that the anyone is going to walk away from a contract without good reason. Seeing as this thread is about footballers being selfish by continuing to get paid their contracts when performing badly, i dont see other situations as relevant because they arent comparable. In their positions, i dont see a single person giving up a contract worth a million a year like Milf for example based on poor form. It just wouldn't happen. I cant even think of an occasion where a precedent has been set where a sportsperson has said " oh, seeing as i'm not performing to my best, cut my salary " I could be wrong, but i doubt thats ever happened.

In regards to Kahu, I wouldnt blame him for having the shits with the Broncos anyway. What they did to him when he left to go to the Cowboys was absolutely appalling.

Lol! There's a difference in having to take a pay cut because your employer is struggling to make ends meet and needs to cut costs and your employer coming to you and saying, "even though we signed you for $1M you're not performing to standard and we'd like you to renegotiate for $500K." That employee is going to say, "stuff you" unless there is a breach of contract, that employee is entitled to every cent. Whether you offer them a contract at the same rate when the contract ends is another story.

Sack the bonehead (I reckon it's White) who keeps giving these 1 year options like candy, it only invites complacency to the welfare recipients.

Seibold with a 1 year option in his favor is laughing to the bank. His fat contract is putting pressure on the coaching staff salary cap and hurt the development of the players for years to come.

Read somewhere today - maybe news.com - that the option is in our favour, so if true that's something...

Sack the bonehead (I reckon it's White) who keeps giving these 1 year options like candy, it only invites complacency to the welfare recipients.

Seibold with a 1 year option in his favor is laughing to the bank. His fat contract is putting pressure on the coaching staff salary cap and hurt the development of the players for years to come.
It's Nolan.

But we have other issues as well that create this, such as our reqruitment team being managed by the same people as the players, a proper conflict of interest, Warriors are in a similar boat to us, you can't run a club like this.

Last edited:
We whinge when players break their contracts like Matterson did to Wests but then we sit there and say Boyd/Milf/Kahu should be paid less.

Lols.

Contracts should be enforceable - we are the stupid ones stuffing up the length and terms of ours

We whinge when players break their contracts like Matterson did to Wests but then we sit there and say Boyd/Milf/Kahu should be paid less.

Lols.

Contracts should be enforceable - we are the stupid ones stuffing up the length and terms of ours
Difference being in most professional fields, there's an expectation in performance and results for that renumeration. Not just sign and put in the minimum effort.

Now that's likely the fault of those writing the contracts or even the nature of NRL contracts themselves. Maybe time for a leaf out of the NFL book? This isn't just a Bronco issue by the way... lots of clubs literally have to gamble on players.

Bigger and better performing clubs get a bit of an advantage there as people will take unders to win. Its something that needs to change to benefit all clubs from these situations.

We’ve more than had our bite of that cherry. No we have to dig out like the rest of the franchises.
That is totally fair and our chickens are coming home to roost for sure.

I think it's more about perspective though - are we not seeing some of the issues that the perpetual underachieving clubs see constantly, overpaid people not living up to standards they were signed to achieve.

Is this a contributing factor to the likes of the titans and other such clubs who in many seasons are not competitive.

Last edited:
Good news, the cashed-up dogs maybe interested in Bird depending on his health.

This would be amazing if true. Bet we'd have to pay him a significant amount next year though.

Would be great to have some extra funds to go after an old head - preferably a little mouthy general to really give them direction.

If Bird can stay on the field, he is a good signing if he is heavily discounted (which he will be). He could well transition into hooker for them, it would be a good signing.

Active Now

• Dazza 92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dony Eliakim
  • TimWhatley
  • Battler
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • Fatboy
  • MrMoore
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Santa
  • cento
  • The Don
  • Shane Tronc
  • Evander
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.