Players, management, staff are treating Broncos' like Centrelink.

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
The problem with the Broncos woes all stems from selfishness. Instead of doing what's best for the club players are exercising their selfish right to see out their contracts. Boyd, Bird, MILF all know deep in their hearts that will be the detriment of the club
They're not playing for each other, they are playing for themselves and it's reflected on the field.
Seibold keeps mentioning he has strong contract position with no performance clause. He's pretty much saying fire me, I'll still get paid. Bird and MILF exercising the final year option knowing they're getting paid overs relative to their market value. Boyd should of retired 2 years ago.
Paul white just gets a fat fortnightly pay check no matter how the Broncos' perform.
The board gets paid for making dumb decisions with no accountability.
They're reluctant to fire Seibold because admitting defeat will jeopardise their own livelihoods.
Gone are the good ol' days where players and staff sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the club. Working at the Broncos' is more attractive than Morrison's JobKeeper payments.

Well yeah, this has been the case for quite some time. Bennett did it, White is doing it, Seibold is doing it, Thaiday did it, Boyd is doing it, Bird is doing it, Milford is doing it and so is Kahu. The only one who hasn’t is Gillett and he was the last of the old school brigade really.

And then have a kid like Haas playing at about half of what he is worth, no wonder there is disharmony when everything is about money these days.

Sammy played a bit too long but didn't act like a cat on the field.

2019 boyd was the benchmark of malicious compliance. Daring the club to drop him so he could sit on the couch and get his money. The cruel joke is they were too dumb to do it. This year I think he actually feels a bit bad about the young fellas and has tried, a bit.

Kahu, what a total flog. Could have pushed on for less elsewhere but decided to burden us with his stupid player option.

On that note, has there been a single player option that's really paid off for us? We seem to just get screwed over constantly.

Sammy played a bit too long but didn't act like a cat on the field.

2019 boyd was the benchmark of malicious compliance. Daring the club to drop him so he could sit on the couch and get his money. The cruel joke is they were too dumb to do it. This year I think he actually feels a bit bad about the young fellas and has tried, a bit.

Kahu, what a total flog. Could have pushed on for less elsewhere but decided to burden us with his stupid player option.

On that note, has there been a single player option that's really paid off for us? We seem to just get screwed over constantly.

How would the player option ever benefit the club? If they play well, they get a better offer. If they stay the same, they keep the same wage. If they go worse, they still get the higher play. Not only that, there is no certainty on salary cap planning, you have no idea if the player will take the option unless they are playing like a Kahu/Milford/Boyd. It doesn’t have any benefit to the club that I can see whatsoever.

i get the feeling the fact a few pllayer options were exercised this year might mean a few of them were tapped on the shoulder about their performance/future plans etc, and they were like öh, you want to drop/replace me do ya....no worries, player option exercised...

We are a dying club suffering from a thousand self inlficted cuts...

This will literally take years to undo the enormous damage caused...

Fortunately Siebold will be here for the entire time it takes...

I can't blame players for seeing out there contracts.

If a player isn't playing to the contract that is on management.
Agreed, as a fan and member it sucks but can't blame someone like Milford for taking an option in his favour for another 1 million dollars, or Kahu taking a free 400/500/600k or whatever to sit on the sidelines.

They'd get next to nothing elsewhere based on current form, its the clubs stupid fault for offering contracts this way.

I'll continue to be pissed about how these players are performing but if I have the choice of 500k next year or looking for a new job that is a 100% chance of paying much less, im taking the 500k option every day of the week and all of you would too.

Sack the bonehead (I reckon it's White) who keeps giving these 1 year options like candy, it only invites complacency to the welfare recipients.

Seibold with a 1 year option in his favor is laughing to the bank. His fat contract is putting pressure on the coaching staff salary cap and hurt the development of the players for years to come.

Last edited:
Sack the bonehead (I reckon it's White) who keeps giving these 1 year options like candy, it only invites complacency to the welfare recipients.

Seibold with a 1 year option in his favor is laughing to the bank. His fat contract is putting pressure on the coaching staff salary cap and hurt the development of the players for years to come.
It is White who negotiates the deals including amounts and lengths.

apparently Pies has to win 5 of the remaining 10 games of the season to save his job...

I love how people bitch about players taking money they signed contracts to get. Nobody on here would feel so sorry for their employer that they would willing tear up a 400k a year contract and take up a 200k a year contract elsewhere like they are saying somebody like Kahu should do. I dont blame anyone for doing whats best for them, selfish or not.

I love how people bitch about players taking money they signed contracts to get. Nobody on here would feel so sorry for their employer that they would willing tear up a 400k a year contract and take up a 200k a year contract elsewhere like they are saying somebody like Kahu should do. I dont blame anyone for doing whats best for them, selfish or not.
TBH, you (or anyone else for that matter) can’t comment on what others on here would or would not do.

I get that what you are saying might fit most, but I personally know people who have taken significant paycuts (previously and now during COVID) so that the business they work for could survive.

I understand your sentiment, but that doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

I should have also said, I know a dozen or so people who recently took voluntary redundancies and at least 2 of them were in their late 30’s / early 40’s, so a long way from retirement.

Some people are happy to make such sacrifices, others aren’t - different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Last edited:
It's the mind-boggling, long term contracts we hand out that breeds this sort of thing. For example, the rorters sign proven guns like Crichton and Keary for three years. This obviously means that they can flick him fairly quickly and don't have to sit around and put up with him being trash for years if he declines sharply in form or cops an injury. Meanwhile, we sign an injury magnet like Bird or an old peaheart like Boyd for 4+ years with fucking player options.

Last edited:
TBH, you (or anyone else for that matter) can’t comment on what others on here would or would not do.

I get that what you are saying might fit most, but I personally know people who have taken significant paycuts (previously and now during COVID) so that the business they work for could survive.

I understand your sentiment, but that doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

I should have also said, I know a dozen or so people who recently took voluntary redundancies and at least 2 of them were in their late 30’s / early 40’s, so a long way from retirement.

Some people are happy to make such sacrifices, others aren’t - different strokes for different folks I suppose.

What you are saying though isnt what being said here is it. You are bringing up a once in a lifetime pandemic to partly justify people taking paycuts and redundancies. Even with Covid ( and previously ), do you honestly know anyone who has taken a 50% paycut? I doubt it very much tbh. I know people who have taken redundancies and paycuts, ( mainly due to Covid ) but they have been put in a position where they have to weigh up whats best for them due to circumstance. Sometimes its sensible to take a redundancy or a paycut because it will benefit you long term. What you have said though isnt down to an employees performance, its down to a financial decision based on how a business is going financially.

I think people are also forgetting, the players have made a sacrifice. They agreed to a reduction of 20% in their salary. Some of them like the warriors sacrificed a lot more, but its not really the issue that was being brought up. There was a comment basically saying these players with legally binding contracts they signed in good faith should just walk away from their contracts because they are either playing poorly, on the decline or just offering poor value for money. The players shouldnt be expected to give up their contracts because a fan doesnt like whats going on at the club. I still stand by what i said, nobody is willingly going to give ok 200k of a 400k contract if there isnt a need to and if they havent done anything wrong.

Last edited:
What you are saying though isnt what being said here is it. You are bringing up a once in a lifetime pandemic to partly justify people taking paycuts and redundancies. Even with Covid ( and previously ), do you honestly know anyone who has taken a 50% paycut? I doubt it very much tbh. I know people who have taken redundancies and paycuts, ( mainly due to Covid ) but they have been put in a position where they have to weigh up whats best for them due to circumstance. Sometimes its sensible to take a redundancy or a paycut because it will benefit you long term. What you have said though isnt down to an employees performance, its down to a financial decision based on how a business is going financially.

I think people are also forgetting, the players have made a sacrifice. They agreed to a reduction of 20% in their salary. Some of them like the warriors sacrificed a lot more, but its not really the issue that was being brought up. There was a comment basically saying these players with legally binding contracts they signed in good faith should just walk away from their contracts because they are either playing poorly, on the decline or just offering poor value for money. The players shouldnt be expected to give up their contracts because a fan doesnt like whats going on at the club. I still stand by what i said, nobody is willingly going to give ok 200k of a 400k contract if there isnt a need to and if they havent done anything wrong.
3 things:

1. If you’re responding to a particular comment(s) and want that context to carry over to your own comment, please quote it / them. You are only now referencing particular things from a particular comment to support or alter the context of what you are saying.

2. I am only providing examples of people taking paycuts that I know personally, you’re the one that is splitting hairs looking for an exact example of the Kahu situation. I don’t personally know the 7+ billion people in the world, so I can’t speak on behalf of all of them. What I do know is that neither you nor I, or anyone else, know what others are willing to do / not do.

3. Yes, I do honestly know people who have taken significant paycuts outside of COVID (I don’t know if it was 50%, it’s not my place to ask for such specifics), which is why I said “previously and now during COVID”.

As another example, right now the club is asking Fifita to take $500k less (or more) than he can get elsewhere (he wouldn’t be the first to do so either). Sure, they are different circumstances, but a huge financial sacrifice nonetheless. Some people would be willing to do it, others would take the cash (and that’s fine).

Like I said, I understand what you are saying and it may be applicable to most - I am not disagreeing with you on that.

But just because you don’t think people should take a paycut because they are entitled to what it says in their contract, doesn’t mean you can say there is no one on this forum that would. No one knows what other people would or would not do - not you, not me, not anyone.

Last edited:
3 things:

1. If you’re responding to a particular comment(s) and want that context to carry over to your own comment, please quote it / them. You are only now referencing particular things from a particular comment to support or alter the context of what you are saying.

2. I am only providing examples of people taking paycuts that I know personally, you’re the one that is splitting hairs looking for an exact example of the Kahu situation. I don’t personally know the 7+ billion people in the world, so I can’t speak on behalf of all of them. What I do know is that neither you nor I, or anyone else, know what others are willing to do / not do.

3. Yes, I do honestly know people who have taken significant paycuts outside of COVID (I don’t know if it was 50%, it’s not my place to ask for such specifics), which is why I said “previously and now during COVID”.

As another example, right now the club is asking Fifita to take $500k less (or more) than he can get elsewhere (he wouldn’t be the first to do so either). Sure, they are different circumstances, but a huge financial sacrifice nonetheless. Some people would be willing to do it, others would take the cash (and that’s fine).

Like I said, I understand what you are saying and it may be applicable to most - I am not disagreeing with you on that.

But just because you don’t think people should take a paycut because they are entitled to what it says in their contract, doesn’t mean you can say there is no one on this forum that would. No one knows what other people would or would not do - not you, not me, not anyone.

My original post mentioned Kahu, didnt really feel the need to quote the post it was in, i presumed people who are on this thread read all the posts.

We arent asking Fifita to take a pay cut though are we. We are asking him to stay for less. Thats a different kettle of fish. He can choose how much he is happy earning, nobody is asking him to give up money he is already getting.

And if it comes to context, what context did these people you know take the pay cut in? Like i said, taking a paycut because of a financial downturn in business, or because of a once in a lifetime pandemic isnt even close to being comparable to some football fan not liking Boyd, Milford or Kahu for example earning contracts that are exceeding their performances. As much as it sucks sometimes, the players have every right to get what their contracts say they should get. And it should work the other way as well. I dont like how somebody like Matterson basically went back on his contract because he didnt like it after 12 months.

And i'm still going to say that in a normal situation, nobody on here is going to just give up 50% ( or less ) of their pay for no good reason. If i was your boss and i just came up to you one day, knowing you had a contract and said " i don't think you deserve $100k a year anymore, i think you should leave and work for less elsewhere " you probably not so politely tell me where to go! You will probably say different, and technically you are right, we dont know what everyone would do, but in reality, nobody is going to sacrifice a good contract if they dont have any need to.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.