Players off contract at the end of 2013 and 2014 - who would you like to see signed?

Re: Players off contract at the end of 2013 and 2014 - who would you like to see sign

The thing is both Glenn and McGuire had the potential, just not the experience. Maybe having Hook instead of Henjak helped, or maybe they just improved because they've been in FG longer. Like I said, I dunno what actually happened.

I'm not attacking Hook or defending Henjak, I don't rate either.

I see what you're saying, I just think its funny. Like your perfectly right, their improvement could be completely to do with experience and potential... By the same
Token you could make the argument that the players that haven't improvement just don't have the potential etc.

Like I said I'm not saying anything either way, it's just an amusing situation

Re: Players off contract at the end of 2013 and 2014 - who would you like to see sign

By start of 2015
1.barba
2.lee, korobiete, williams
3. Hoffman, lee
4. Hodges
5. Yow yeh
6. Prince, hunt
7. Mullen
8. Hannant
9. Smith
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Tasi
15. Dodds
16. Glenn
17. Stagg

18. Hala
19. J wallace

I'd like to think we will be moved on from Stagg by 2015. Bless him, he loves the Broncos, but we need to aim higher than him. Likewise for Dodds IMO. But hey, they can feel free to prove me wrong. No humble pie tastes sweeter than when the player who made you eat your words plays for your own team.

Hala will definitely be off the bench if his progress is maintained and I would not be surprised to see us consistently use 2 hookers in the future, with the second likely to be Granville. I rate Macca, but I'm not sure we'll ever see him as an 80 minute hooker (despite what we've been told). But Granville looks to have good potential, so a combination with them both might not have to be a negative thing by any means.

I also thought Locke had committed to the Warriors, but then if Tomkins does end up there, who knows. Locke did say he wanted to play 5/8 if Tomkins came.

Don't know if it's wishful thinking or not but Barba is who I would really want at the back and he is not off contract, which means will will probably show interest

Let's begin by looking at the players we have officially signed for 2014 and beyond...

1. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
6. Scott Prince
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex GLenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Matt Gillett
16. David Hala
17. David Stagg

Ashley Taylor
Jharal Yow Yeh

Of those players off contract I'd be looking to retain...

Jake Granville
Lama Tasi
Jordan Kahu
Kurt Baptiste
Dale Copley
Francis Molo
Corey Oates
Caleb Timu - provided he's not off on his Mormon Mission. Kid can play.

They would all be my priority signings. The likes of Dodds and Gibbs can stick around too but we're not offering top dollar to retain them.

With Tasi's signing I believe we've signed the big boppa Gordie and co. have been calling for. Now it's time to bring in a couple of backs. I don't think we should really pay top dollar for the backline. Quality backs are so few and far between I'd much rather we went and signed a couple of prospects who otherwise haven't kicked on and give them a chance at an organisation like ours. They include...

John Sila
Stewart Mills
Young Tonumaipea
Denny Solomona
Cheyse Blair
Evander Cummins

Couple of exceptions I'd throw in there...

Harry Siejka - Has seemingly fallen off the grid since 2012 and floated from NSW Cup side to NSW Cup side but give him an off-season with us and see how he pans out. The kid can definitely play.

Kevin Locke - Doesn't really require an explanation. Just didn't make the earlier list since he's already a Test player.

Chris Grevsmuhl - Is a forward but an extremely talented one who's gone to waste at the Cowboys where I think he's grown complacent since Kristian Woolf left their 20s side.

That isn't to say we should go out and sign all these players but if we could nab at least one it'd certainly make life a little easier.

However, outsourcing isn't our only option. Of course we still have the Queensland Cup and National Youth Competition to draw on to fill that off-season squad. These are the players I'd be looking to bring in...

Elijah Alick - Wing
Jai Arrow - Lock
Paul Byrnes - Fullback
Cam Cullen - Half/Hooker
Stephen Coombe - Prop
Brandon Lee - Backrow/Hooker
Kodi Nikorima - Five Eigth/Halfback
Jo Ofahengaue - Prop
Duncan Paia'Aua - Five Eigth/Halfback
Tasi Tasi - Wing
Kurtis Lingwoodock - Backrow

Last edited:

[MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION] I don't want to see Hoffman at fullback next year. He is a gun on the Wing, we should leave him there IMO.

If we don't Sign Barba (or go after Locke) my preference fo full back would be to give Kahu a go.

I named Hoffman at fullback to highlight our lack of signings in the backs.

It doesn't mean I want to see him there.

Didn't Granville re-sign straight after his first match?

Nope.

Gee just came out and said we were interested in keeping him.

I expect to hear a bunch of re-signings in the not too distant future. Usually clubs like to announce in bulk.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • bb_gun
  • Spooky1013
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.