Players that started as plodders and became top tier

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Who are some examples of players that started as plodders, poor, or average players early in their career but went on to hit unexpected heights?

Corey Parker comes to mind as a player that seemed like a bald numpty who ended up being a pretty gun lock in the last half of his career.

Cronk’s name often seems to come up as an example of this but I’m not sure how true that actually is. Feels a little revisionist

Billy Walters has obviously improved but he wasn’t exactly awful before and he isn’t exactly elite now.

The Chad went from a joke to a legit good half at some point there but has fallen back to earth quite a bit this year.

Are there any other clear examples?

The Chad went from a joke to a legit good half at some point there but has fallen back to earth quite a bit this year.
I would say the Chad actually regressed.

His first years at the warriors he was looking a legit elite half and it was like why the hell did sharks let him go... then he went back to the sharks to me he hasn't really been all that much since then.

He gets talked about like some elite game managing half, but his kicking game has nothing on the top tier halves, and Dearden and Drinkwater carry that team in attack

Matt Prior was one of those sunk-cost fallacy prospects who seemed to get picked based on potential and never really stood out. For years he was only known for elbowing JT in the head. Then in 2016 him and Fifita form the best front row combination in the competition and he ended his career with an Origin cap.

Steve Matai when he came over from the Jets was a total liability from the Sea Eagles. Constantly took the wrong options and made the simple look challenging. However season by season the number of good games would outweigh the bad to the point where he and Lyon were head and shoulders the best centre combo in the competition.

I was led to believe Steve Renouf couldn't catch the ball, couldn't tackle and looked well off the pace in his early Bronco days. Then it was like a switch was flicked and he was one of the best centres of his generation.

Wouldn't say elite but I didn't see much in Glenn Hall or Mark Minichiello until they joined Manly and the Gold Coast.

Parker took his game up another level, but he's one of those players that was better than you remember. I had a similar impression as you theshed, but anytime I go back to 2003-09 his work stands out to me more.

Where does a Terry Campese fall in a list like this?

I'm trying to remember how Berrigan started out but my memory is failing me.

Richard Villasanti went from 0 to hero to 0 in record time.

Cody Walker

Jamal Fogarty

Richard Villasanti went from 0 to hero to 0 in record time.

Cody Walker

Jamal Fogarty
The Villasanti hype started because of a head clash with Webcke didn’t it? The media were talking it up as a monster hit and getting the better of him though.

but went on to hit unexpected heights?
There was a man from Rockhampton...
Screenshot 72

Early days in this thread but it really does seem like there aren’t many genuine surprises when it comes to ceilings in the NRL. Obviously heaps go the other way and look like guns early only to fall flat.

Jack Wighton probably surpassed some expectations with his career.

DWZ maybe?

Saab definitely improved a lot since his dragons days

Depends who you ask. Billy is not elite now but I have heard many suggest he was awful.

Some players reach elite status and then just go on to be monumental flops as well, I put it down to the way they are coached and who they respond to. Adam Blair would be the poster boy.

You could probably name a dozen Melbourne players who were fringe first graders but went on to be mainstay players/on the cusp of rep selection.

Chad, he's no more than a decent organiser of a footy team, the premiership he got certainly elevated his status a bit. You certainly wouldn't expect him to pull your team out of the fire if you needed a big play from 30 metres out in the last 30 seconds of the game.

Active Now

• barker
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncos4life
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.