Players that started as plodders and became top tier

But if they aren't debuting/being a mainstay before 24-25 and then go on to be stars, surely that counts. Hence Cody Walker, Nicho Hynes and Damian Cook for example.
It can come down to other factors too. They could have all the talent in the world but injuries, the system, personal issues etc. got in the way.

The majority of us didn't see them start until they hit the big time. When their name was finally called, how did they go?

I'd put those other players in the late bloomer category. Michael Gordon, The Don, Nick Kenny etc.

I got one!

Jeremy Marshal King

from memory Beau Ryan went from trash to a legitimately decent outside back but I might have judged him harshly because I hated his media schtick

I got one!

Jeremy Marshal King

from memory Beau Ryan went from trash to a legitimately decent outside back but I might have judged him harshly because I hated his media schtick

I know right! I find it really annoying that there isn’t just 1 league show out there that isn’t for bogans.

How good were Tony Puletua and Joe Galuvao before Penrith's 2003 season? Genuine question.

I don't recall there being much hype about them before then, but in 2003 they were instrumental in the Panthers run to the grand final and subsequent victory. Back when the Panthers were likeable.

I think they both debuted around 1997 or 1998? You could possibly throw Rhys Wesser in there too.

Or is that more a case of players lifting for one or two seasons and then reverting back to type?

Dylan Edwards was a bit of a punch line for a couple of years there until Penrith went on that winning run. I remember he derped it up early in 2020 and everyone was Lol at Edwards etc but that game seemed to have flocked a switch and he never looked back…..

How good were Tony Puletua and Joe Galuvao before Penrith's 2003 season? Genuine question.

I don't recall there being much hype about them before then, but in 2003 they were instrumental in the Panthers run to the grand final and subsequent victory. Back when the Panthers were likeable.

I think they both debuted around 1997 or 1998? You could possibly throw Rhys Wesser in there too.

Or is that more a case of players lifting for one or two seasons and then reverting back to type?
Puletua started as an 18 year old and was clearly a prospect and one of their better players during some tough times for the club.

I thought he was one of the better second rows in the competition when they made the finals in 2000.

I'd count Galuvao. Comes in as a fullback/outside back utility and fails to nail down a spot at the Warriors. Goes to the Panthers and doesn't find his feet until his second season at the club.

Then to prove it isn't a fluke, he goes to Souths and ends up being a massive bust, so much so they send him to the Easts Tigers when they had a brief affiliation up here.

Only to end up at the Eels and Sea Eagles and he is a really solid contributor in their grand final and premiership success.

Could almost argue he had the better career than Puletua despite Puletua always being highly regarded.

Loved that Panthers 03 team.

I'd consider Wesser, I don't think anyone saw him usurping David Peachey and challenging Darren Lockyer for the best fullback in the competition.

yeah as pointed out earlier does Tyson gamble count?

Maybe a week or two early but in a Pongaless Knights he looked the most dangerous for a guy who didn't make his mark in first grade till his mid 20s I think it would qualify.

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • sooticus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • teampjta
  • Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.