THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
About being screamed at and called soft by a guy who has done nothing to improve the teams defence.
Lets go back to your claim of "multiple players"........it was loosely reported that there was two players who complained
and for all we know, it was just Dobbo made up shit.......

Sooo....how has Kev lost the dressing room?

Lets go back to your claim of "multiple players"........it was loosely reported that there was two players who complained
and for all we know, it was just Dobbo made up shit.......

Sooo....how has Kev lost the dressing room?

Crawley was openly talking to other journos saying there was 3 unhappy and that he had spoken to them. As to why he didnt go to print - i suspect he spoke to Kev or Ikin and was told not to and the matter was addressed - or NC pulled rank. You or @1910 go info re this?

I like it. I could see reasons for and against keeping him on but I do feel the reasons for do have more weight.

For:
- He improved the side this year (the issue is the last month of course and this is the question mark but before that, every single player had improved in the squad except Turps)
- In any other year, we would have played finals with our record this year
- This appeases the old boys because we have backed him now for three seasons (of course this won't happen if we dead in the water by round 10 next year)
- It shows the players that they are no longer the whip hand here, if they don't like Kevvie, they can leave and I suspect this is needed still given how awful we were as a club to finish out the season
- Kevvie is not on a lot of money
- Kevvie gets a chance to show the end of the season is the anomaly and not the middle of the season
- This provides stability in the club
- The assistants are clearly under pressure and this is good!

Against:
- Did he lose the dressing room? Only time will answer this but it is clear that the important players are behind Kevvie in Reynolds, Capewell, Carrigan, Oates and Billy (see what I did there?)
- Why was he not able to arrest the fall off a cliff?
- The bench usage regressed badly in the backend of the year
- Some of the team selections were atrocious and hopefully, if he keeps this rubbish up, this will likely be signing his own death warrant
- He continued to select clearly busted players and refused to use some of the younger guys who, while injured at points, were showing real signs in TC and Peeks.
- Don't get me started on the Paix non-selection, I'm still livid about this and this, with the related head scratching team selections, is what still has alarm bells in my head
- Paix is clearly currently the best hooker at the club, it isn't even close, so why the heck was Turpin a lock in the back end of the year?

TC broke his arm against Norths in round 13 and didn't play again until round 20- the last round he wasn't showing anything during the slump.

Piakura's last month was good and he got picked for the last round after four good games before that good month he was coming back from a month out- he had to play some football.

Paix had to comeback too and his form wasn't that great leading into coming back as a replacement against Newcastle. He was getting better and then was back. In that stretch of ISC from round 17 he certainly didn't make Kevvie pick him- his best game was against Wynnum.

Do you guys think some head coaches are too scared to bring in the next best thing as their assistants, in case they take their spot? Bennett and Bellamy have always done it, but would this scare someone like Kevin Walters whose job isn't going to pretty much always be secure?

Without this fear, Walters could bring in someone like Marc Brentnall, Billy Slater or Josh Hannay with the intent to actually learn from their areas of expertise instead of watching his back.

I think the Broncos/QRL could evolve the coaching game to be honest. There is no official coaching development system to filter these people through Q Cup to the NRL and it's shown by an almost complete lack of movement from the Q Cup to NRL over the years.

Josh Hannay, the Walker Brothers, Geoff Toovey, Michael McGuire, Neil Henry etc. shouldn't be lost to the game when they've been let go or move themselves on. Fortunately John Morris, Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Brett Kimmorley, Mick Potter, Kristian Woolf and Cameron Ciraldo all have jobs currently or lined up, but we could be utilizing them better.

I guess what I'm trying to call for is a proper partnership between the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Dolphins and the QRL. Not just the players but coaches too. How many of the next best things in the coaching world are coming from our local competition or could make a transition.

Our Q Cup teams coaches should be working with our NRL teams and learning from each other. I don't see any negatives to having a coaching team that could lift both the Broncos and our QLD Cup affiliates, in turn elevating their game too.

So according to 7news, Karl Morris says KW safe for next season and that any future contracts will be for one year only.
Sensible decision imo, but good luck trying to get a top notch coach under those terms. KW must surely feel that he is only keeping the seat warm for someone else.

Do you guys think some head coaches are too scared to bring in the next best thing as their assistants, in case they take their spot? Bennett and Bellamy have always done it, but would this scare someone like Kevin Walters whose job isn't going to pretty much always be secure?

Without this fear, Walters could bring in someone like Marc Brentnall, Billy Slater or Josh Hannay with the intent to actually learn from their areas of expertise instead of watching his back.

I think the Broncos/QRL could evolve the coaching game to be honest. There is no official coaching development system to filter these people through Q Cup to the NRL and it's shown by an almost complete lack of movement from the Q Cup to NRL over the years.

Josh Hannay, the Walker Brothers, Geoff Toovey, Michael McGuire, Neil Henry etc. shouldn't be lost to the game when they've been let go or move themselves on. Fortunately John Morris, Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Brett Kimmorley, Mick Potter, Kristian Woolf and Cameron Ciraldo all have jobs currently or lined up, but we could be utilizing them better.
100% this.
Coaches will always do things to extend their own longevity.
KW absolutely picked assistants who wouldn't threaten his head coaching position. IMO.

100% this.
Coaches will always do things to extend their own longevity.
KW absolutely picked assistants who wouldn't threaten his head coaching position. IMO.
It’s actually quite disappointing to think about because it isn’t the best option for our club. But how many coaches would bring in the next best as their assistants? Payten brought in Dean Young while Walters brought in Cartwright and Matterson? He should know his flaws and bring in those who can cover that.

I’m curious about what his coaching philosophy is. Is just just pride and passion in the jersey? What happens if he gets sacked and the Titans want him? Can he lift players in a different jersey?

About being screamed at and called soft by a guy who has done nothing to improve the teams defence.
Defence was fine in general over 2\3 of the season then stupid shit like staggs shooting out of the line and cobbo following came back into their game

So according to 7news, Karl Morris says KW safe for next season and that any future contracts will be for one year only.
Sensible decision imo, but good luck trying to get a top notch coach under those terms. KW must surely feel that he is only keeping the seat warm for someone else.
The club is just waiting for someone better to be available.

It’s actually quite disappointing to think about because it isn’t the best option for our club. But how many coaches would bring in the next best as their assistants? Payten brought in Dean Young while Walters brought in Cartwright and Matterson? He should know his flaws and bring in those who can cover that.

I’m curious about what his coaching philosophy is. Is just just pride and passion in the jersey? What happens if he gets sacked and the Titans want him? Can he lift players in a different jersey?
Happens in all sports unfortunately and works both ways.. Many years ago when I worked in the media I remember an assistant coach of an NBL team telling me (off the record) that he would never share his full bag of tricks with a head coach.

The club is just waiting for someone better to be available.
that would just be stupid! let's wait for a better coach to be available and then we can start all over again!
it's like renovating a house and a couple of years later, demolishing it and building a new one .

QRL and Hostplus Cup is providing more than you think at the moment.

Hannay, Woolf times two, JD, Griffin, O'Brien, Lennihan, Arthur, O’Callaghan and Walters have all coached in the ISC/QRL and currently have NRL or SL jobs at clubs.

Coaches go the safe option, with assistants, particularly when starting out- mates people that agree with you. Bennett was always pretty safe with former players until he had his big clean out in 2005.

You have to be very secure to pick someone who challenges you and hand them over to do attack or defence.

Kevvie, Matterson and Cartwright are all very similar in their ideas and you run the risk of an echo chamber. JD has gone with Hornby and Morris with Antonelli just doing the ruck- really they're pretty young too but I challenge each other too.

that would just be stupid! let's wait for a better coach to be available and then we can start all over again!
it's like renovating a house and a couple of years later, demolishing it and building a new one .

Just because a new coach comes in, doesn't mean it's going to start another rebuild. The new coach wouldn't have to rebuild the side, just tweak the one we currently have.

It's what Bennett did in 2015.

Just because a new coach comes in, doesn't mean it's going to start another rebuild. The new coach wouldn't have to rebuild the side, just tweak the one we currently have.

It's what Bennett did in 2015.
Or they could come in and go full Seibold and blow the place up

I guess what I'm trying to call for is a proper partnership between the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Dolphins and the QRL. Not just the players but coaches too. How many of the next best things in the coaching world are coming from our local competition or could make a transition.

Our Q Cup teams coaches should be working with our NRL teams and learning from each other. I don't see any negatives to having a coaching team that could lift both the Broncos and our QLD Cup affiliates, in turn elevating their game too.

Clubs do do this, ISC coaches have meetings and whole weeks down in Melbourne and in Townsville. Pride have a Cowboys rep on their board. I know Bellamy and Bunn talk to their ISC coaches every week.

Reader worked for the Broncos for a long time and wanted more experience being the big dog so went and was lent out as CEO of Norths and is now CEO of the Dolphins NRL team.

It depends on how you see the ISC, if you want to bring them into the fold and develop them and make them better plenty do do that and then hire them- if you just want to put three players somewhere on a Sunday- some do that too.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.