THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
BTW I backed the appointment of Kevie 100% I backed him after the 2022 burnout. I backed him after the GF. I backed him thru the middle of the season dropsies.
But that run from Bulldogs to Storm to finish the season was pretty telling.
Yes, it's also on the players on the pitch but he was thoroughly out-coached and TBH got lucky against the Eels. Cowboys game showed some promise then it all came crashing down.
All year : 10 min fadeouts; poor edge defence; horrendous yardage game from the backs; failure of the next-man-up (in multiple positions); lack of effective plays; and general apathy in the team.
I'll back Kevie with new assistants and some signings (and players on the pitch) but I fear we are about to sacrifice 2025.

It is an opinion. We all have them. It may be wrong but I think others will agree with me. I don't think it deserves vitriol or derogatory remarks on my intelligence.
But pile-on. It's what BHQ does best.
And true, it was Green and the selectors - but he was still picked for QLD 3 months later...4th choice or not. Honestly I would have rather a decent seasoned FB in. '21 but we didn't have one, we had Isaako.
No-one made remarks about your intelligence, I called this one opinion you had stupid because it was, but that is just one opinion that doesn't mean you are stupid. We all get things wrong (me more than most) and it's ok to just go yep, my bad there.

Of course everyone is allowed an opinion but that doesn't stop others from having an opposing opinion or calling out an incorrect one or not point out inaccuracies. Opinions are opinions but facts are facts and if you say something silly you are usually going to be told about it whether it is on BHQ or in day to day life.

No-one made remarks about your intelligence, I called this one opinion you had stupid because it was, but that is just one opinion that doesn't mean you are stupid. We all get things wrong (me more than most) and it's ok to just go yep, my bad there.

Of course everyone is allowed an opinion but that doesn't stop others from having an opposing opinion or calling out an incorrect one or not point out inaccuracies. Opinions are opinions but facts are facts and if you say something silly you are usually going to be told about it whether it is on BHQ or in day to day life.

I think the above opinion about what constitutes stupid , is stupid .

What's a "proven" assistant look like?

They usually get head coaching roles. Not many assistants become a proven assistant then go and take up a role as an assistant somewhere else, unless they don't make it as a head coach.
I think a proven assistant is someone like Barrett. He has been a very good assistant at multiple clubs, and has failed each opportunity as top dog. I think Kevvie is in that category, but he was probably a less useful assistant, which is why he found finding a head coaching job so tough until the Broncos old boys got him his current one.

I think a proven assistant is someone like Barrett. He has been a very good assistant at multiple clubs, and has failed each opportunity as top dog. I think Kevvie is in that category, but he was probably a less useful assistant, which is why he found finding a head coaching job so tough until the Broncos old boys got him his current one.

I'm pretty sure Kevvie has been offered a couple of head coaching roles ... But turned them down.

BTW I backed the appointment of Kevie 100% I backed him after the 2022 burnout. I backed him after the GF. I backed him thru the middle of the season dropsies.
But that run from Bulldogs to Storm to finish the season was pretty telling.
Yes, it's also on the players on the pitch but he was thoroughly out-coached and TBH got lucky against the Eels. Cowboys game showed some promise then it all came crashing down.
All year : 10 min fadeouts; poor edge defence; horrendous yardage game from the backs; failure of the next-man-up (in multiple positions); lack of effective plays; and general apathy in the team.
I'll back Kevie with new assistants and some signings (and players on the pitch) but I fear we are about to sacrifice 2025.
I thought the responses were a little stiff as well. I wouldn't take it too personally, everyone's just frustrated with the way the season has played out and this is a topic that's been talked about to death. It seemed like time vindicated Kevie's decision and this is only being dredged up now to sling more mud.

Even Kevie has admitted his short-comings during that period. However in his defence, the club was virtually in a holding pattern waiting for Donaghy to join. If you can recall, Dave was caught up in a legal battle with Melbourne who didn't want to play ball.

In addition to that, we've since learned that the deal with the Warriors was virtually done shortly after the Wynnum trial. They had just lost Tuivasa-Sheck, so they came in strong with a big offer and Walsh jumped on board.

Walsh should never have been available. The NRL has a ridiculous transfer system where clubs can make these ludicrous offers and one way or another a club is sending themselves broke paying for potential. The Broncos had to get ahead of themselves and get the deal done in 2020, but with everything that happened, they just weren't in a position to offer an extension.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so if you think despite all this he should have still been there Round 1 that's fine. I thought Kev was made to look silly when he lost Walsh because he was being responsible, but he had to bend over backwards to keep Piakura.

In general, I don't hold 2021 against Walters. In releasing Bird, McCullough, Ofahengaue, Lodge, Dearden, Walsh, Pangai Jr etc. the Broncos were effectively giving up a 1/3 of their cap. Considering Carrigan went down early to an ACL and Staggs barely played after tearing his ACL late in 2020 it's difficult to field a team.

As disappointing as the finish was to 2022, I'd still take a 13-11 season and finishing 9th over a 11-12-1 season and finishing 8th only to get smashed regardless. With Walsh on the horizon the club was heading in the right direction.

However the signs were never great for 2024. Losing Robati, Oloapu, Farnworth, Flegler, Plath, Palasia, Capewell etc. it always seemed like the club was going to go backwards. So much of the season hinged on Cobbo and Piakura taking off, and Piakura suffered his first head-knock within the first ten minutes so it seemed like it was going to be one of those years.

Sadly they're not looking all that great for 2025 either.

What makes you pretty sure about that?

He failed overseas, then couldn't get a gig.

There were media reports at the time, it was while he was either working for Bennett or Bellamy, but before he got the QLD gig.

now obviously, the clubs involved weren't the calibre of the Storm, since their coach had just been sacked.

I recall it being reported that he was shortlisted for the Titans gig but they went for Brennan.

IIRC, the Tigers offered him the job, but he turned it down (smart move since they churn through coaches).

I think there was at least one other club interested in him, but can't recall which one.

I'm not sure he actually threw his hat in the ring for too many club jobs which basically rules you out of contention for most vacancies.

Almost every young fella with an early call-up goes back to cup at some stage. And BTW it wasn't just Billy who picked Walsh for QLD 3 months later, it was the QLD selectors. I notice no one has a response on the poor selections of Baker and Oates. Or that it was Isaako who was the preferred starting fullback? A guy that is patently not a FB.
You guys just want to focus on my call of Walsh as an 18 year old even though I provided 2 other recent examples and could even go back to another 18 yr old Broncos FB in K. Hunt or Darius Boyd.
Hunt and Boyd as 18 year olds had international captains and rep players throughout the team.
Bringing a 18-19 year old Walsh into a team coming off a wooden spoon with no one in the squad that you could call a leader wouldn't of been the best for him.
Issako was the best choice at the time Kev knew he wasn't a fullback and someone who he could shuffle out when Walsh was ready.

If we lose any of the current crop of highly touted juniors ala Mozer, Black etc in the next 12 months it'll be a travesty.

I get the feeling a few managers are taking their kids elsewhere already. There has to be a reason we have no SR depth from our own ranks.

I thought the responses were a little stiff as well. I wouldn't take it too personally, everyone's just frustrated with the way the season has played out and this is a topic that's been talked about to death. It seemed like time vindicated Kevie's decision and this is only being dredged up now to sling more mud.

Even Kevie has admitted his short-comings during that period. However in his defence, the club was virtually in a holding pattern waiting for Donaghy to join. If you can recall, Dave was caught up in a legal battle with Melbourne who didn't want to play ball.

In addition to that, we've since learned that the deal with the Warriors was virtually done shortly after the Wynnum trial. They had just lost Tuivasa-Sheck, so they came in strong with a big offer and Walsh jumped on board.

Walsh should never have been available. The NRL has a ridiculous transfer system where clubs can make these ludicrous offers and one way or another a club is sending themselves broke paying for potential. The Broncos had to get ahead of themselves and get the deal done in 2020, but with everything that happened, they just weren't in a position to offer an extension.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so if you think despite all this he should have still been there Round 1 that's fine. I thought Kev was made to look silly when he lost Walsh because he was being responsible, but he had to bend over backwards to keep Piakura.

In general, I don't hold 2021 against Walters. In releasing Bird, McCullough, Ofahengaue, Lodge, Dearden, Walsh, Pangai Jr etc. the Broncos were effectively giving up a 1/3 of their cap. Considering Carrigan went down early to an ACL and Staggs barely played after tearing his ACL late in 2020 it's difficult to field a team.

As disappointing as the finish was to 2022, I'd still take a 13-11 season and finishing 9th over a 11-12-1 season and finishing 8th only to get smashed regardless. With Walsh on the horizon the club was heading in the right direction.

However the signs were never great for 2024. Losing Robati, Oloapu, Farnworth, Flegler, Plath, Palasia, Capewell etc. it always seemed like the club was going to go backwards. So much of the season hinged on Cobbo and Piakura taking off, and Piakura suffered his first head-knock within the first ten minutes so it seemed like it was going to be one of those years.

Sadly they're not looking all that great for 2025 either.
I had completely forgotten about Robati

I don't think so, yet. But he needs to make significant changes. His assistants need to be the best options available. The players need to know their role. He's worked under the best coaches in the game and should know what he needs from his players.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • BooKhaki
  • RolledOates
  • theshed
  • Rambstien
  • Spooky1013
  • broncsgoat
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Strop
  • Hurrijo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Maddy
  • Totally Unr3al
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.