Poor play-the-balls won't be tolerated

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Todd Greenberg warns NRL players that poor play-the-balls won’t be tolerated

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has issued a stern warning to all players that incorrect play-the-balls won’t be tolerated by the referees this year.

Following a record 14 penalties for poor play-the-balls in the season’s opening trial between Newcastle and Melbourne, Greenberg said the code was determined to stop the concerning trend of players not making a genuine effort to touch the ball with their foot.

He confirmed all NRL coaches were told of the crackdown before Christmas.

“You will definitely see the rules tightened on play-the-balls,” Greenberg said.

“It was an edict given to clubs in the pre-season and I know the referees have been at scrimmages with all the clubs.

“There will be a much greater focus on the play-the-ball and playing it with a genuine attempt. I think you will see the referees being quite vigilant on that.

“The challenge for the referees, which they’ve set, is to maintain that vigilance all year.

“We’ve spoken about it with the competition committee, the coaches and the referees have been given strong directive.”

Games have gained pace in recent seasons and Greenberg expects this to continue. He believes league is more entertaining than ever before, largely due to a greater emphasis on endurance.

“I think we found a really good balance when we came back from 10 to eight on the interchange,” he said.

“The advent of the shot clock has also brought scrums and dropouts down significantly.

“The Bunker reduces decision times down below 60 seconds every decision and a huge number of decisions were within 40 seconds.

“That has continued to bring fatigue into the modern game and fatigue is an important part of rugby league.”

Greenberg said it was paramount for league to keep evolving to cater for a broad player base. “We’ve got to make sure we balance power and speed and skill, so all body shapes and sizes can play the game,” he said.

Source: Courier Mail

This will last exactly 1-2 rounds before they stop cracking down.
My thoughts exactly.

They came out with a similar line a couple of years ago and that was about the length of the crackdown.

I hear they are going to crack down on wrestling and holding down too!

The last one didn't even last 1-2 rounds. They announced it and it lasted zero rounds.

My thoughts exactly.

They came out with a similar line a couple of years ago and that was about the length of the crackdown.

Heard the line refs are going to be cracking down on something every season but come kick off it either isn't enforced or only lasts a few rounds at most as others have said.

Reading Bennett's book I remember him talking about a SOO game 2 from the 80's where he had the heavies of the game come into camp during the week and tell them to keep it clean etc and the referee will be clamping down after the first game of the series. Bennett told his players not to start any fights, but to finish it. NSW played the game dirty and the referee just let it happen, Bennett wondered if they were ever instructed to clamp down on the offences from the first game of the series.

Every year they talk about a play the ball crack down ... every year it last a couple of rounds at most, usually until they realise that the Roosters would be fucked if the crackdown lasted the season

True as all others have written it's unlikely to last however it's the first time in my memory that the following line has been stated.

The challenge for the referees, which they’ve set, is to maintain that vigilance all year.

Perhaps they've said it before but to me it seems as though our frequent criticism of the refs to maintain a stance all year has finally filtered through to them. I'm hopeful but hardly confident as they've never had a track record to rely on.

It's the most frustrating part of nrl: the way they announce a crackdown on play-the-balls, wrestling etc, then show all the fortitude of a limp lettuce leaf in their conviction.
Just once, I would like to see them start something on round 1 and finish it full time grand final day.

Incorrect play the ball or as I like to call it the 'Petero Rule'.

The previous two PTB crackdowns lasted the full season. The last one being 2016 when the Roosters died in the arse.

The crackdown ended when the Poms came over for the WCC and performed well above their weight by playing tunnel-ball while the NRL sides used their feet and got over-ran.

Still, the crackdown shouldn’t last all season, it should last forever, not just forgotten when NSW’s favourites need an upper hand.

It’ll last until they figure out who this year’s fairy tale team will be (Cowboys) and then see if it suits them or not.

The moment it starts disadvantaging the likes of the Rorters or Melbourne, it'll be business as usual

Refs boss Bernard Sutton has promised to maintain the crackdown.

Let's see how long that lasts, because it didn't last long last time.

I don't understand the need for crack downs. Just ref the game, every game, as per the rules. By saying there needs to be a crackdown now seems to indicate the refs havent been doing that over the past few seasons.

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Broncos Maestro
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Wild Horse
  • Johnny92
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • MrRobot
  • Astro
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Dash
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.