VOTE Position Poll - Jack Bird

Jack Bird's best position is?

• Total voters
5/8 but like to have a look at him in hooker. Not enough go forward for lock without established power forwards. Centre would be fine but seems wasted unless given the hodges role (although prefer to give Roberts that kind of free hand).

Milford to halfback

Milf to halfback only if plays headphones in with Alfie in one ear and Locky giving step by steps on the kicking option... has anyone ever heard of trying to put a square peg in a round hole?

He would be great at lock.

Those all those suggesting he couldn't handle lock because of all the middle forward stuff, that misses the point that he wouldn't play like a front rower/middle forward, he would have to play more like Matterson did so it would mean Wayne allowing a different more creative style of football, floating as a second playmaker on either side of the ruck. It would also allow him to run at opposition halves.

If Wayne just wants three front rowers in the middle like everyone else then no, he shouldn't play there.

He would be great at lock.

Those all those suggesting he couldn't handle lock because of all the middle forward stuff, that misses the point that he wouldn't play like a front rower/middle forward, he would have to play more like Matterson did so it would mean Wayne allowing a different more creative style of football, floating as a second playmaker on either side of the ruck. It would also allow him to run at opposition halves.

If Wayne just wants three front rowers in the middle like everyone else then no, he shouldn't play there.

It sounds good in theory, but I hope to god McGuire, Sims, Lodge, etc are up for it, because our props are going to have to do a lot of work to compensate.

It sounds good in theory, but I hope to god McGuire, Sims, Lodge, etc are up for it, because our props are going to have to do a lot of work to compensate.

Well you have three options,

Keep the same need for hit ups a set and get your second rowers/edge forwards to do a few more hit ups.

Keep the same hitups and get Bird to do all those hits ups.(I have already said that would be pointless as he is not a front rower)

Don't do as many hit ups and use the ball more to stretch and tire the opposition defense, hopefully getting more one on ones which can lead to offloads and broken play. I am one of those people who don't like the very risk free and structured game of the NRL at the moment and finding ways to get away from that is something that the Broncs need to do. We have really been the only team in 2015 and parts of this year, apart from maybe Melbourne this year, to try and break away from that style of play and I want that to continue and expand.

The real challenge of Bird at lock is defensively, that is where he might need to bulk up a little or rejig who defends where.

I think you will find Macca will take up a lot of the slack defensivley, and in attack you will see Bird more than Macca at a guess. I dont think any of our forwards will have to compensate for Bird at lock so to speak because we wont be playing the same type of footy.

I think you will find Macca will take up a lot of the slack defensivley, and in attack you will see Bird more than Macca at a guess. I dont think any of our forwards will have to compensate for Bird at lock so to speak because we wont be playing the same type of footy.

Not to sure about that we looked to be more creative around the ruck. Not sure giving macca more defensive load is the best thing to do.

or going forward.

Not to sure about that we looked to be more creative around the ruck. Not sure giving macca more defensive load is the best thing to do.

But having a forward playing basically as a second five eighth is going to be huge for us i think. Maccas game is more based around his defence anyway rather than his attack so i dont think its going to put a lot more work on him. Darren and Jason Smith, Ellery Hanley were great locks and probably a similar size to Bird. I just think the biggest issue people have to get their head around with Bird playing lock is that he isnt a modern day lock who is basically another battering ram prop. He wont play that way, we shouldnt compare him to any of those sort of footballers.

But having a forward playing basically as a second five eighth is going to be huge for us i think. Maccas game is more based around his defence anyway rather than his attack so i dont think its going to put a lot more work on him. Darren and Jason Smith, Ellery Hanley were great locks and probably a similar size to Bird. I just think the biggest issue people have to get their head around with Bird playing lock is that he isnt a modern day lock who is basically another battering ram prop. He wont play that way, we shouldnt compare him to any of those sort of footballers.

Not saying bird shouldn't be lock . I just want to see macca be more creative, which will help our go forward aswell. If we keep having him take on the defensive load, we will continue to see our one out rucks when he tires. Im all for more creativity but isn't boyd our second 5/8th. Darren smith was also one of our highest try scoring centers , also one of our best defensive centers.

Not saying bird shouldn't be lock . I just want to see macca be more creative, which will help our go forward aswell. If we keep having him take on the defensive load, we will continue to see our one out rucks when he tires. Im all for more creativity but isn't boyd our second 5/8th. Darren smith was also one of our highest try scoring centers , also one of our best defensive centers.
Taking nothing away from Macca I just don’t think he has the creativity in his game, what he lacks in explosiveness and flair he makes up for in toughness and work rate. I think putting bird in at lock will help make up for Macca’s lack of creativity and give us more speed around the middle of the field which could make all the difference in the world to our attack.

Taking nothing away from Macca I just don’t think he has the creativity in his game, what he lacks in explosiveness and flair he makes up for in toughness and work rate. I think putting bird in at lock will help make up for Macca’s lack of creativity and give us more speed around the middle of the field which could make all the difference in the world to our attack.

You may be right. I thought macca was making some progress before he got injured.

To be honest the Bird signing is still slightly puzzling from my point of view. I’ve never really seen him do anything special but I haven’t necessarily paid much attention to him. Still happy to have him coming given the big wraps on him, if he’s the dangerous player he’s portrayed as I’d say stick him in lock and gets his hands on the ball.

Active Now

• Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • mieko
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Bish
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.