Post Game Discussion - Round 9 - Penrith

Thoroughly undeserved two points, but happy to take them. Hodges MOTM for mine, he was great tonight. Things that were less great tonight:

Oates - he was great... for 20mins. And that's all he could be great for, because that's all he got. With Thaiday to come back I don't see how he gets more. If we re-sign Thaiday and Glenn, then that locks out our backrow for 1-2 years. We need more of Oates, if that's at wing in place of Maranta, that's what needs to happen. But 20mins is criminal.

Our kicking game - I feel this is the thing that suffers the most with a spine of Boyd/Milford/Hunt. There's a lack of organization and control and we need more from all of them in this regard.

So what was the verdict on Boyd ? I didn't see any of the game so..
Safe as a house in defence, nothing really in attack. It's his first game in about 10 months and he said post game he was struggling to keep up, so realistically he's going to need a few games to get his fitness and timing back. Too early to judge.

I was disappointed Kahu wasn't on the right side though. At least he could swap with Reed in attack there. I guess Copley will be returning so they wanted the just get used to Kahu playing on the right.

We totally sucked at the little things. But again, play like shit, hang on, one good play wins it. Unbelievable. Hodges was fantastic. Dragged us kicking and screaming towards the win, just this time he was restrained enough to just do his job, not throw that stupid last pass (like he wanted to like 4 or 5 times) and trust the others to do theirs too. How sweet it was for Oates to stomp over Soward The Angry Ant for the matchwinner. Top of the ladder still, I feel disgusted to have to will Souffs to a win do we own it outright.
But but but... He needs to retire!

3. McGuire
2. Hodges
1. Milford

Massive special mention to Kahu & Oates who came up massive for us on multiple occasions.

Was Glenn and Gillett injured or just buggered?

Horrible game, we didn't really deserve to win that.
Was at least pleasing to see Oates smash Soward out the way to score the winning try tho. :bike:

Jamie-Soward-prepares-for-Origin-I.jpg

Pretty much invisible in attack but safe as houses in defence. Just happy for him to get through unscathed, I think he'll ease himself in over the next few games. Maybe a Bennett ploy: "Play good Son, but don't make it look like you're playing Origin good. I don't know, play casual".

Well, he got through the game. That's all you can really say so far. Obviously hasn't played in a long time.

He's also safe under the highball. Something we couldn't say for all our wingers. Did you catch what he said in the interview with Lockyer? He said something like he was tempted to swap with a winger to catch a breather.

I think I'm more exhausted than Darius after that, I haven't jumped that high since Grade 12 basketball.

I have a damaged nerve in my shoulder and i aggrivated by fist pumping the air when Oates Scored :laugh:

I'm quite happy for Maranta and Reed to be dropped now, despite Reed actually having a good game by his standards, he severely lacks the tools of the modern centre, throw Kahu in at left centre and have Oates & Copley on the wings or something.

I could live with that, but IMO i think Copley should be left center with Kahu and Oates on the wings ... mainly because Kahu is far better under the high ball than Copley.

Solid game ... made no mistakes ... can't really ask for more in his first game back in over 6 months and coming back from a serious injury.

Thoroughly undeserved two points, but happy to take them. Hodges MOTM for mine, he was great tonight. Things that were less great tonight:

Oates - he was great... for 20mins. And that's all he could be great for, because that's all he got. With Thaiday to come back I don't see how he gets more. If we re-sign Thaiday and Glenn, then that locks out our backrow for 1-2 years. We need more of Oates, if that's at wing in place of Maranta, that's what needs to happen. But 20mins is criminal.

Our kicking game - I feel this is the thing that suffers the most with a spine of Boyd/Milford/Hunt. There's a lack of organization and control and we need more from all of them in this regard.

Horrible game, we didn't really deserve to win that.
Was at least pleasing to see Oates smash Soward out the way to score the winning try tho. :bike:

You guys think we were worse than the Panthers?

He's also safe under the highball. Something we couldn't say for all our wingers. Did you catch what he said in the interview with Lockyer? He said something like he was tempted to swap with a winger to catch a breather.

Yeah, it's a pretty difficult game to have as your comeback one, the pace was intense for most of it.

I'm not a reed sympathiser but he defended exceptionally well

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.