VOTE Potential 18th team?

Should the NRL expand to 18 teams? if so, who should it be?

• Total voters
Vlandys has decided that a PNG team should have a significantly higher salary cap than the rest of the comp.

He plans to lobby the Albo Government for Tax Free Status for PNG staff and players.
Lol is PNG going to become the NRL's GWS & Suns combined... for absolutely zero payoff and no chance of ever being successful on the field.... yep sounds like a Vlando plan

Good thing it isn’t a dangerous place to live t the moment too.
With the salary cap they'll have maybe the players will just charter flights to and from Bondi every week...

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Absolutely no fucking chance would anyone decent play there…..lol

****.no.

Hmm I have a friend in Western Australia I don't think she would change codes from AFL to NRL. It reminds me of NRL before 1998 with I think 30 teams

They should just add all these teams to the qld or nsw cup leagues, and then start a relegation system. That way everyone gets a team, but it still keeps 1st grade competitive.

I mean yeah, they already do this in the Super League, it would work here too.

I mean yeah, they already do this in the Super League, it would work here too.
I dont think it would.

If you're in NRL you're getting a $12m salary cap and $13m grant or whatever.

The first NRL team that is relegated will have a mass exodus of players and that club will effectively be destroyed.

The club promoted from reserve grade will then come in with a seriously inferior team and spend the year getting absolutely flogged before getting relegated.

That will be the same for any team promoted each year... the qcup and NSW cup is just way too far behind the NRL for it to work and the NRL cant fund a reserve comp to anywhere near the same level as it does the NRL.

The NRL also wouldnt want to gamble that a team like parra, dogs, dolphins, knight, etc. gets relegated and is absolutely destroyed... just so the capras, mounties, etc. can play in the big leagues

I dont think it would.

If you're in NRL you're getting a $12m salary cap and $13m grant or whatever.

The first NRL team that is relegated will have a mass exodus of players and that club will effectively be destroyed.

The club promoted from reserve grade will then come in with a seriously inferior team and spend the year getting absolutely flogged before getting relegated.

That will be the same for any team promoted each year... the qcup and NSW cup is just way too far behind the NRL for it to work and the NRL cant fund a reserve comp to anywhere near the same level as it does the NRL.

The NRL also wouldnt want to gamble that a team like parra, dogs, dolphins, knight, etc. gets relegated and is absolutely destroyed... just so the capras, mounties, etc. can play in the big leagues

And all of these are good points for sure and you couldn't bring it in over night but with some forward planning, it could work. The reality is, if the NRL wants to push to 20 teams (and this is really what we are talking about here), it becomes a moot point anyway. That said, look at the Dogs' squad this year, Dragons as well and the dearth of decent halfbacks across the competition, I don't think the gap between the Dragons and Dogs to some of the next level down teams is currently that big anyway. I would argue Penrith's seconds would beat 3 or 4 of the NRL teams as things stand.

But of course it will never happen as things currently stand because three of the best supported teams in the Dogs, Dragons and Tigers would be right in the firing line.

And all of these are good points for sure and you couldn't bring it in over night but with some forward planning, it could work. The reality is, if the NRL wants to push to 20 teams (and this is really what we are talking about here), it becomes a moot point anyway. That said, look at the Dogs' squad this year, Dragons as well and the dearth of decent halfbacks across the competition, I don't think the gap between the Dragons and Dogs to some of the next level down teams is currently that big anyway. I would argue Penrith's seconds would beat 3 or 4 of the NRL teams as things stand.

But of course it will never happen as things currently stand because three of the best supported teams in the Dogs, Dragons and Tigers would be right in the firing line.
It's not so much the dogs and dragons squad as a whole being bad, it's about the actual good players they do have who would be out the do the second they're relegated, because there's no way they are spending a year in reserve grade.

If dogs or dragons got relegated they would be out of their contract instantly... so suddenly Burton, JAC, Kiks, Bhunt, Lomax, JDB, Sua, Suli, Mahoney, etc. are walking out on the team and then entering the NRL market.

You'd end up strengthening the top teams and killing off any club that happened to be relegated (let's not forget broncos would've been relegated in 2020).

There's not enough time in the player market for promoted teams to pick up a bunch of players and improve themselves to be NRL quality... and any NRL team that gets relegated is losing any player of worth they might have and I just can't see how they would be able to recover.

I just don't think it works in the NRL and can't really see how they could transition to it.

It's not so much the dogs and dragons squad as a whole being bad, it's about the actual good players they do have who would be out the do the second they're relegated, because there's no way they are spending a year in reserve grade.

If dogs or dragons got relegated they would be out of their contract instantly... so suddenly Burton, JAC, Kiks, Bhunt, Lomax, JDB, Sua, Suli, Mahoney, etc. are walking out on the team and then entering the NRL market.

You'd end up strengthening the top teams and killing off any club that happened to be relegated (let's not forget broncos would've been relegated in 2020).

There's not enough time in the player market for promoted teams to pick up a bunch of players and improve themselves to be NRL quality... and any NRL team that gets relegated is losing any player of worth they might have and I just can't see how they would be able to recover.

I just don't think it works in the NRL and can't really see how they could transition to it.

But as things stand, the best players are taking pay cuts or at least taking less than they could get elsewhere to stay at successful clubs anyway.

The poor teams are already paying way overs to attract anyone of note, good or bad as well (Leilua on reportedly 900k for example). Then you have the likes of Ben Hunt, the only good player at the Dragons, agitating massively for a release.

Look at Leigh in the Super League as an example of what could happen with big name teams or at least ones backed by a Politis type at that second level. They wouldn’t be down there long. Leigh’s boss threw all sorts of money at some big name players and Lam as not name coach and boom, they were back in top flight and made finals last year plus winning the Cup.

Like I said, it absolutely has challenges but with enough planning and forethought, it can work.

I'm in the minority I think on this one but bring on PNG and bring on 20 teams. I'd seriously consider going 24 teams and having two conferences. Wall to wall games from Thurs to Monday.

I always dislike the talent spread too thin argument, it doesn't make any sense to me because you could have 8 teams and someone is still going to come last - would the argument apply then?

The Tigers and Dragons aren't a basket case because there's not enough talent, they're a basket case because they make shit recruitment decisions on both player and management fronts.

I'm in the minority I think on this one but bring on PNG and bring on 20 teams. I'd seriously consider going 24 teams and having two conferences. Wall to wall games from Thurs to Monday.

I always dislike the talent spread too thin argument, it doesn't make any sense to me because you could have 8 teams and someone is still going to come last - would the argument apply then?

The Tigers and Dragons aren't a basket case because there's not enough talent, they're a basket case because they make shit recruitment decisions on both player and management fronts.

Not always, though sometimes of course it is really bad decisions that lead them to being basket cases. The problem then is that once they do start turning the corner, there isn't much they can do when they do identify the talent needed, like Manu, etc but they keep getting rejected. This forces them to recruit duds because they are the only ones who go there or overrated but decent players like Luai get WAY overpaid because that is the only way they can get these blokes to go there AND they have to spend 95% of their salary cap. So some real hacks end up on way overs because they have no choice.

Not always, though sometimes of course it is really bad decisions that lead them to being basket cases. The problem then is that once they do start turning the corner, there isn't much they can do when they do identify the talent needed, like Manu, etc but they keep getting rejected. This forces them to recruit duds because they are the only ones who go there or overrated but decent players like Luai get WAY overpaid because that is the only way they can get these blokes to go there AND they have to spend 95% of their salary cap. So some real hacks end up on way overs because they have no choice.
I think this simply comes back to recruitment decisions. Although it's not always evident, the character of a player should be considered when recruiting them. I know Cyril used to prioritize that over any football ability because away from the game who are they, what do they bring to the team culture etc. If you are recruiting players who are going to turn the moment someone looks their way, you aren't taking these factors into account.

Can every single team recruit gun players who are also gun personalities? No of course not, there is always an upper limit of these sorts of players. Someone always has to come last. The talent or there lackof however, isn't necessarily the reason why, which is an argument used against expansion when this invariably comes up.

Can everyone recruit a game breaking player that will lead them to the comp? Of course not. Can teams recruit sensibly to put themselves into a competitive position that allows them recruit that said missing piece? Of course they can. But if they're going to shit up their recruitment processes and make themselves an unattractive destination then yes, they will need to pay overs. That's a reflection of the club though, not the players available.

But as things stand, the best players are taking pay cuts or at least taking less than they could get elsewhere to stay at successful clubs anyway.

The poor teams are already paying way overs to attract anyone of note, good or bad as well (Leilua on reportedly 900k for example). Then you have the likes of Ben Hunt, the only good player at the Dragons, agitating massively for a release.

Look at Leigh in the Super League as an example of what could happen with big name teams or at least ones backed by a Politis type at that second level. They wouldn’t be down there long. Leigh’s boss threw all sorts of money at some big name players and Lam as not name coach and boom, they were back in top flight and made finals last year plus winning the Cup.

Like I said, it absolutely has challenges but with enough planning and forethought, it can work.
Taking pay cuts and being relegated are two different things, by playing reserve grade you become out of sight which means players potentially lose rep opportunities which will damage their career, almost certainly the top players will not accept this.

There were like 2 riots last week here in POM. I don't see a "marquee" NRL signing living in the more "affluent" areas either. Love my country but we got 3rd world issues every 2nd day. Move it to Perth. It's the most obvious option

PNG would be an absolutely terrible idea both for players and also financially. You would be relying on government money to prop them up and lets be honest, when the country is in dire financial states, culling excess spending on a sports club is always favorable to voters. Plus, no marquee player in their right mind would want to even go near that club. ****, the dolphins had trouble getting a marquee player and they are based at Redcliffe.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.