VOTE Potential 18th team?

Should the NRL expand to 18 teams? if so, who should it be?

• Total voters
That club will be doomed to failure if it even gets off the ground IMO. Atrocious decision and cheapens the comp. They're not even competitive in Cup, how will they make it in the NRL?

Which NRL players are going to want to live in fucking Cairns? What's the odds of the NRL giving them significant salary cap relief?

That club will be doomed to failure if it even gets off the ground IMO. Atrocious decision and cheapens the comp. They're not even competitive in Cup, how will they make it in the NRL?

Which NRL players are going to want to live in fucking Cairns? What's the odds of the NRL giving them significant salary cap relief?

there are NRL players prepared to live in shitholes like Townsville and Canberra

there are NRL players prepared to live in shitholes like Townsville and Canberra

Canberra is close to Sydney and Townsville is the northern Qld capital. Cairns is even further away and hotter again than Townsville, but yes I agree they will likely cannibalise the Cowboys and while I'm still not over 2015 and it would be glorious, it would also be shit for the game if that does happen. Not a fan.

People thinking that if they become an NRL team that the PNG team would just play their current QLD cup team and not recruit established players lol
Or that PNG reps would end up playing for them like Coates, Johnston, Olam and Lam.

Can see Olam heading there (although he and AJ would be nearing retirement by the time they come in), but why would Coates and Johnston walk away from title contending teams... and Lam is a chance of getting a gig with an NRL team at the moment... why would he go to a team just starting out and every chance of struggling to attract talent.

Dolphins were moving into Brisbane and had Wayne Bennett at the helm, and he couldn't get legit stars like Tino, Munster, Harry, etc. from joining... what chance is a PNG team based out of Cairns going to have.

Ice Cube Shut Up GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

I'm all for a PNG team. 2 more games where we don't travel to Sydney (and likely 4 easy points).

People thinking that if they become an NRL team that the PNG team would just play their current QLD cup team and not recruit established players lol

In fairness, right now there isn't much other option as there are enough good players to support 17 teams. There were literally two teams in it this year and everyone else was making up numbers, some just a bit better than others...and then you had the Tigers and Bulldogs.

I'm all for a PNG team. 2 more games where we don't travel to Sydney (and likely 4 easy points).
They'll probably send us to Port Moresby for those games instead and then have us playing in Sydney on a 5-day turnaround

Or that PNG reps would end up playing for them like Coates, Johnston, Olam and Lam.

Can see Olam heading there (although he and AJ would be nearing retirement by the time they come in), but why would Coates and Johnston walk away from title contending teams... and Lam is a chance of getting a gig with an NRL team at the moment... why would he go to a team just starting out and every chance of struggling to attract talent.

Dolphins were moving into Brisbane and had Wayne Bennett at the helm, and he couldn't get legit stars like Tino, Munster, Harry, etc. from joining... what chance is a PNG team based out of Cairns going to have.
There would have to be serious salary cap relief. Like they'd need maybe 2-3m on top so they can sign a few marquee players with 1m bonuses.

Selling the game to the gambling hoardes, now selling the game as a political puppet. Where's the next cash grab from?

I'll tell you one thing, load up on a Souths premiership next year. We already saw what it cost the game to keep Rothfield as a pandering suckhole (a Sharks premiership), I'll give you all one guess what it cost Vlandys to get an audience with the Prez via an Albanese plus-one invite.

Canberra is close to Sydney and Townsville is the northern Qld capital. Cairns is even further away and hotter again than Townsville, but yes I agree they will likely cannibalise the Cowboys and while I'm still not over 2015 and it would be glorious, it would also be shit for the game if that does happen. Not a fan.
Cowboys ditched all of the regions when they tried to make everything in house with the Qcup team, they get what they deserve.

Cairns is a much better place than Townsville to live in though, way less crime and more things to do.

Canberra is a shit hole easily the worst place to live where any NRL team is, made worse by the fact it's just far enough from Sydney to make it a pain in the ass to go there.

From a Broncos perspective this is just another game in Queensland where it will be like our home game, so it's no skin off our back if this political nonsense team goes ahead.

Its dangerous to sell a team to Cairns/PNG on a basis that the federal government chips in 25 mill a year to the team. Makes it a very easy cash save if a change in government was to occur to appease voters.
For the life of me, I cant think why they haven't got a team in Perth yet. There must be something seriously wrong with their bid because it opens up so much more time slots to through games into, they have the population to support it, plenty of cash in WA in terms of sponsorship with mining companies. It just doesn't make sense unless they sense the players don't want to move that far.

Cairns/PNG or Perth, in terms of distance from everything there isn’t much difference but Perth, as mentioned has an appetite for it and opens up so many good time slots. Perth probably isn’t promising to line Vlandys pockets though and that is likely the sole difference.

Vlandys has decided that a PNG team should have a significantly higher salary cap than the rest of the comp.

He plans to lobby the Albo Government for Tax Free Status for PNG staff and players.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.