Pre Game & In Match Thread

QLD
1. Slater - 8: Besides a few little errors he was outstanding, considering the frenetic pace he operates these conditions are a nightmare and some of the things he did were amazing. The way he supports the shoulder of his halves is second to none.

2. Boyd - 7: Did his job, made a mistake but made up for it with some good darts and good support play.

3. Inglis - 7: His worst Origin game ever probably but the conditions didn't help him get the ball spun too him too often. Scored a try and defended well, although he and Boyd got done by some Lyon brilliance for Idris' late try.

4. Tonga - 6: Like Inglis it wasn't a game for him, didn't get a great deal of ball as most of the attack down his side was high balls for Folau.

5. Folau - 7: Was excellent at times as another forward. I hope he stays because he is developing shades of Wendell with his forward relief work, made some important charges from deep in our half. Saw little ball as a winger.

6. Lockyer - 9: He was everywhere. Defended better than I have ever seen, got bumped off badly only once that I saw and made some good one on one stops. Kicking was accurate, passing spot on, support play exemplary. Lockyer is closing in on some great names at this level of the game very very quickly.

7. Thurston - 9: I cannot split them. Lockyer built the foundation and JT finished the job so often, the plays he made leading up to tries and line breaks was again amazing and when in Maroon his defense lifts big time made some amazing kick chase efforts. He will go down in the same breath as Lockyer, Lewis, Langer for QLD if he continues on this trajectory.

8. Scott - 8: Our best player in the first 30 minutes. Gutsy runs and made some desperate tackles, played mistake free footy and that's what we needed under the conditions. Even if Hannant is fit he should keep the starting spot.

9. Ballin -7: Did the job. No bad passes which was crucial under the conditions and defended solidly. Would have liked to see him dart out a few more times in that weather but if that's the only criticism I have then he had a very good night. It is sad he will lose his spot, but what can you do.

10. Civo - 8: He was superb particularly in the second half made some huge runs especially when we were in big trouble. This guy should go down in the absolute top tier of the games elite. A living legend.

11. Myles - 8.5: Our best forward. He is a different man in Maroon, defense and attack he was so heavily involved.

12. Thaiday - 8: Doesn't play bad games anymore particularly in Origin, made plenty of tough runs and was involved in some big defensive collisions.

13. Harrison - 7.5: Didn't do too badly, played the DJ role well. Defended all night while out there and was a second or third receiver in the bigger backline moves. He did exactly what I assume Mal wanted because Johnson's hole was huge to fill but I think he did that job brilliantly.

14. Cronk - 6: The game was dead when he came on but made one really good run late on and defended well as he always does.

15. Shillington - 8: Great off the bench, provided great impact with some big runs and some bruising hits. His try assist for Lockyer was a beauty, you can see he is really developing into a first class prop at this level.

16. Costigan - 7: Didn't get much ball but he doesn't look for it. He defended well and that is what he is there for, wet weather doesn't suit the shoulder first style so he tackled with the arms all night despite the temptation to go for the big hit I am sure.

17. Taylor - 6: Looked good doing the hard work but didn't get the minutes to make a big impact.

NSW
1. Gidley - 7: Was very good in a losing side despite some more costly errors. He tried hard all night and was excellent in support play. He should be in the team as the utility not at fullback.

2. Hayne - 6: Looked dangerous but ultimately other than a try that was a gift he did very little. Bombed a try by throwing a no look pass into to touch when all he needed to look up and hit Idris on the chest, just shows both the stupidity and arrogance of the guy.

3. Tahu - 6: Was pretty good in attack but as I thought he doesn't belong in the centres at this level. You cannot play guys who play desperado defense in Origin and the Boyd try was a classic example of him rushing in when it was not at all necessary.

4. Cooper - 5: Didn't have any impact, conditions didn't help his cause he didn't get the ball he needed to get Morris involved.

5. Morris - 6.5: Made a few good scampers out of dummy half but ultimately he didn't get the ball where he is truly dangerous.

6. Lyon - 5: ROFL. Worst player on the field but you can't blame him because he is so clearly not a 6, made a great try assist for Idris when back to the centres but it was too little to late for the guy. Appalling selection from the Blues.

7. Kimmorley - 5.5: Tried hard but had no help. Made some poor choices like getting caught on 4th quite a few times when he is the sides only very good kicking option, I wouldn't drop him but he needs help badly. Farah and Campese are they best they have and they should get the 6 and 9 jerseys. Kick chase was incredible as always.

8. Weyman - 7.5: I thought he was NSW's best player he made some very tough runs and got hit bloody hard all night, kept getting up and doing his work. He is made for this type of footy.

9. Ennis - 7: Defended well and did nothing in attack. Made one selfish kick late on with no chasers as is his penchant. I don't think he should keep is spot if Farah plays good footy in the next few weeks.

10. Perry - 5: 7 Runs for 38m ROFL! How he keeps getting picked is beyond me, he is a good club prop no more no less. His teammate Jason King is twice the prop he is, he had no impact whatsoever.

11. Waterhouse - 7: Worked hard early on and defended well. Always got the arm free and constantly looked a threat.

12. Creagh - 6: Didn't target Lockyer like they said he would and I think the QLD defense really stifled him early with some heavy defense. Was in his shell most of the night.

13. Watmough 7.5: Very good tonight, did a lot of work and is always backing up. He has really turned around the fairly accurate calls about his lack of presence in big games.

14. Idris 5: Was heavily involved in the lead up to Inglis' try where he rushes in for some unknown reason as he loves to. He is not ready for this level of football, doesn't have the football brain to do it yet.

15. Learoyd-Lahrs - 7: Got involved and made some big runs, he looks every bit a SOO player. A man to fear for years to come for the Maroons he is a constant handful. Loved the hit by Civo on him late in the game.

16. Lewis - 6: NSW's form backrower gets 42 minutes??? Bellamy has some serious question marks over him for this. He looked pretty dangerous out there and defended well. He should start and he should play 80 minutes or close to it.

17. White - 5.5: How he like Perry keeps getting picked is hilarious, he is not an Origin prop. Club footy is where he belongs. His runs were weak as always and the occasional big hit is pretty much all you can rely on him for.

I thought Slater's support play was brilliant, but geez I got nervous whenever he had the ball. It always looked like he was going to fumble it.

wow, i knew Lockyers kicking game was incredibly good last night but not to this extent - according to NRL he kicked for 583 metres! thats insane.

I can only echo what everyone else has said.

Lockyer's kicking game was magnificent last night. Given the conditions and all, it was crucial that he did well in that department, but he was absolutely class.

Thurston was brilliant as well. NSW had no idea. That kick back on the inside for Slater was sublime.

ningnangnong said:
Thurston was brilliant as well. NSW had no idea. That kick back on the inside for Slater was sublime.

I admit when I saw him kick it I thought "WTF was that you douche!" and then saw Slater swoop on it and thought "Oh...that" HAHAHAHA!

Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:

I admit when I saw him kick it I thought "WTF was that you douche!" and then saw Slater swoop on it and thought "Oh...that" HAHAHAHA!

i was the same, i thought it was a stuffed up kick to i saw Slater swoop on it.

QLD way too good

Locky and JT were outstanding.

QLD forwards were fantastic.

NSW just don't have the talent or heart to compete at the moment.

QLD 3-0!

NSW's version of player ratings

1. Kurt Gidley
Honoured by the national anthem when the words were changed to ''Our Home is Kurt By Sea.'' Thurston stole his possession and pride. 7

2. Jarryd Hayne

Some athletes in this glorious world of sport can be relied upon to rise to an occasion. They need a stage and an audience. Enter Hayne - if he's fullback. 7

3. Timana Tahu

His football hero is the Minnesota Vikings' Adrian ''All Day'' Peterson, aka ''The Purple Jesus''. Succeeded to a degree in containing Maroons messiah, Inglis. 7

4. Matt Cooper

Early fumble wasn't super-duper. Limited involvement because of a bruised hip. Unable to play second half. Might be unable to earn selection for Origin II. 5

5. Brett Morris

How good is this bloke? So good you'd have thought he was interchanging with twin brother Josh when he was tired. A shining light in a beaten side. 8

6. Jamie Lyon

Pick him in the centres, pick him in the centres, pick him in the centres, pick him in the centres, pick him in centres, pick him in the centres. 6

7. Brett Kimmorley

Third-best halfback behind Thurston and NSW trainer Andrew Johns. Selectors will be aware of Mitchell Pearce's imminent return for the Roosters. 6

8. Michael Weyman

Has the appearance of a FOG before he even becomes a FOG. Carted the ball forward with grim determination under a suitably grim scoreboard. 6

9. Michael Ennis

There is only one thing that can be said about Michael Ennis. He is an Origin player through and through. There can be no greater compliment. 7

10. Josh Perry

Last night's swamp acclimatised him perfectly for English Super League stint next year. Unless it made him have second thoughts about playing in swamps. 6

11. Trent Waterhouse

Most impressive House since Scott Prince's. The House is the bloke responsible for keeping Paul Gallen in Club Land. He did his damnedest to show why. 7

12. Ben Creagh

The most ridiculous pre-Origin barb was about Creagh being soft. No Origin player is soft. But his late kick was a brain snap. 6

13. Anthony Watmough

The first miracle was that he kicked during a game of football. The second miracle was that it was in Origin. The third was that Hayne scored off it. 7

Interchange: 14. Jamal Idris

Half the population of Queensland was needed to bring him down on his first run. Try on debut. Big enough to make Inglis look like a midget. The future. 7

15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Some strong charges. Did a decent enough job. Perhaps the problem for the Blues is everyone just does a decent enough job. 6

16. Luke Lewis

Capable of being a starting player in so many positions that they just chuck him into the equivalent of the too-hard basket - the bench. 6

17. Brett White

Wasn't expecting to do a whole lot. And he didn't do a whole lot. Which is the lot of the interchange forward. Go out, bash and be bashed, come off again. 5

Browny said:
7. Brett Kimmorley

Third-best halfback behind Thurston and NSW trainer Andrew Johns. Selectors will be aware of Mitchell Pearce's imminent return for the Roosters. 6

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

That's hilarious! But seriously, otherwise is that guy on crack?

Emma said:
That's hilarious! But seriously, otherwise is that guy on crack?

Yes, as all Dragons fans are. Only reason he'd be so full of praise of Creagh and Morris's performances.

I seriously didn't even notice Brett Morris on the field last night, completely forgot about him. Can't believe he got rated the same as Folau in the Telegraph.

Did anyone catch Tahu swinging forearm like a champ towards the end of the game? what a cat.

He did that nearly every time he went into a tackle, and at least 4 times on each tackle! Was rather comical to watch.

Yep - the very first "tackle" he made in the game he did that. Hardly surprising though given that he was talking up the fact that cheap shots are expected in Origin beforehand

Meat77 said:
Browny said:
7. Brett Kimmorley

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.
How can you forget Alfie? :twisted:

I'm unsure as to whether you get what the journo was saying or not. [eusa_eh

Emma said:
I'm unsure as to whether you get what the journo was saying or not. [eusa_eh
I think I did... Alfie was also on the field last night, like Johns! [icon_wink

Active Now

• Allo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Pablo
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.