Pre-match rituals and superstitions

D

Dannymh

NYC Player
Senior Staff
Sep 20, 2011
We ran this thread on Silvertails the other week and it was bloody funny to see everyones little superstitions and rituals that they have before a game.

Some of mine:
In 2009 I was in Sydney over the Christmas break, I took a stroll down to Brookvale oval and grabbed a handful of grass from the hill, where I always used to sit. I got back to my folks house and planted it in a jar with some dirt and a bit of water, and stored it in the centre console for the drive home. I nurtured it and kept it alive all through the 2010 season. Everytime my mate and I touched the grass before the game, we won. If we forgot or weren't able, we inevitably lost. Tragic. It died out in the floods however and I need to do another driving trip to get some more :)

- This season, I have to put my Manly jersey on, no more than 30 minutes before the game, and no less than 10 minutes before kick off. Failure on any of these fronts or slipping outside these times, sees manly lose.

So what do you boys have?

Dan

so what's your address Danny?
(boys ready to go and steal a manly jersey this afternoon?)

I never wear broncos socks, EVER, whilst a game is being played. This stems from the 2006 preliminary final when my friend asked me if I was wearing Broncos socks at half time when we were down 20-6, I said Yes, he said to take them off. I took them off and of course the rest is history......

I too have discovered that whenever I put my jersey on after a game has started we lose. It's either put it on before the game or not at all.

so what's your address Danny?
(boys ready to go and steal a manly jersey this afternoon?)

I never wear broncos socks, EVER, whilst a game is being played. This stems from the 2006 preliminary final when my friend asked me if I was wearing Broncos socks at half time when we were down 20-6, I said Yes, he said to take them off. I took them off and of course the rest is history......

I too have discovered that whenever I put my jersey on after a game has started we lose. It's either put it on before the game or not at all.

Somewhere in Hervey Bay, the pointy end.

Road trip to hervey bay it is, better set out at lunch time i reckon...

I used to not eat on the day of the game, until the game was over. (or shown on TV)

Used to suck when it was shown at 4pm etc.

I made the mistake of taking a bite of a sandwich at a game, & as soon as I took a bite, Scott Prince broke his leg.

Got into a habit of not touching anything that was Broncos colours, if I had to touch it, I would grab another item of clothing to pick it up.

Yes I know I have major issues.

Last edited:
Have to watch the first half in the lounge room. The moment things start going bad, have to go back to the bedroom and stay there. This has resulted in a premiership, Origins, Test victories (or draws, such as 2009) and plenty of come from behind or plain tight victories. The few times I've left my room has resulted in tragic finishes (vs. Roosters 2010).

My family are probably more lucky.

Ma had a thing about closing her eyes before a goal kick that reigned in some success. The few times she forgot the kick would be missed and it coincided with Parker improving his success rate. She was on a roll with it, until that game where Parker missed it from the sidelines.

She also curses a lot of players, just like a commentator will. She'll give huge wraps for a player and then something bad will generally happen. Examples are...

- 'We'll win the comp. if we can keep Berrigan around' *Berrigan suffers a season ending injury*
- 'I really like the look of this Matt Gillett, good things always seems to happen when he has the ball' *Gillett had that bad late-season fade out*
- 'There's my pharmacy (she's a pharmacist) boy Copley, he's going to be a good player' *Copley drops the ball in the next set*

Plenty of others too, I think Hodges is the biggest victim.

My bro, who doesn't really care about Rugby League and will barely watch it with the rest of us will randomly come sit down and watch us and I believe we've got a 100% record with that, especially in 2006. He's camping with his mates, so sadly, can't count on him tonight.

I sleep alone the night before a game.

I sleep alone the night before a game.

00073131_Image.jpeg

guess we'll see who's superstitions succeed and fail after tonight!

i have nothing. i played sport (mostly cricket) all my life and had nothing as a player either.

I write them off, and bag the #### out of them.

I have some shockers...

On game day I have to give $2 to every Charity bin i see, as people who go to home games knows, this costs me a fair bit.

but my terrible one is I have to play blackjack on my phone, at least once during the week and every time i play I have to finish the game with 3 losses in a row on the back of a win.

I swear I'll end up being insane one day.

Lolz!!!

Don't really have any although in the past few weeks, I haven't washed my jersey. Plus I've been wearing my black jeans to every game in the past few weeks too (I wash this one lol).

Soooooo I'm wearing my black jeans today and will put my unwashed jersey on tonight lol.

Also, I just realised that the last time I had blonde foils in my hair was around the same time we won the GF in 2006! I only realised this after I got blonde foils in my hair last night!

ZOMG.

oh yeah and i have to go into every game convincing myself that we will lose. every time i have been confident of a win we have lost haha.

seriously everytime i have followed these rules this season, we have won lol

I like to wear my bronco skin g banger for broncos games.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Sproj
  • The Don
  • Big Del
  • winslow_wong
  • Jedhead
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
  • Culhwch
  • NSW stables
  • mrslong
  • azza.79
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncorob
  • broncomax
  • Ondi
  • IceWorks
  • Harry Sack
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.