Pre-Season

Hahaha that's gold . If he was good enough he would be there.

He has at least 4 players ahead of him in his position, 2 of which are future immortals, that's why he's not there. Hardly rocket science. It would be a waste of everyone's time to have him there.

He has at least 4 players ahead of him in his position, 2 of which are future immortals, that's why he's not there. Hardly rocket science. It would be a waste of everyone's time to have him there.
I'm sure Darius would be stoked to be considered a future Immortal. But back to Barba, being left out off this squad is an indication of where his career is at. He may rediscover form at Cronulla , but equally he may have been "found out" at this level. Nothing to do with rocket science.

Boyd is a current immortal! Nobody can get near him (so long as WB is coach :p)

I'm sure Darius would be stoked to be considered a future Immortal. But back to Barba, being left out off this squad is an indication of where his career is at. He may rediscover form at Cronulla , but equally he may have been "found out" at this level. Nothing to do with rocket science.

Agreed, one great season doesn't make a career and lets not make out that his last two season's have exactly justified his selection ahead of players who have either proven themselves at the rep level or are in such form that puts them ahead of Barba, that doesn't mean the door is closed forever but for now it's going to be pretty difficult.

Qld Emerging Squad includes anyone who:

- was born in Qld; or
- has uttererd the maroon; or
- is male under 20; or
- played, watched or thought about Rugby League; or
- has flown over Qld; or
- has the letter A, E, I, O or U in their name; or
- has a family member (3rd cousins included) that meet any of the above criteria; or

Just call dibs on everyone.

but Corey Thompson

Do you think Corey Thompson has a more realistic chance of playing Origin then Ben Barba?
I do actually.

Barba would play origin at fullback, nowhere else. Even if he kills it at cronulla in the 6 he has Hunt/Thurston/Cherry Evans/Cronk/possibly Milford ahead of him for a halves spot, so rule that out right now. If he goes back to Fullback he has got Slater/Inglis/possibly Boyd (easy to move him to cover injury since hes already in the team)/possibly Milford ahead of him.

On the wing though we have.......who? I'd love Vidot to get a shot but it won't happen. Marantas rubbish. We don't have any wingers.
In the centres we have Copley, but he absolutely wrecked his chance last year at being picked and isn't up to origin yet IMO, Chambers, and that's about it really.

So yes, I think he has a more realistic chance of making the QLD team than Barba does purely because he plays positions that we have been severely lacking in for years, whereas Barba plays the one position that we have covered handily.

Last edited:

Would he be there if his form was 2012-esq? Even with these other blokes in front of him.

It's only the emerging squad and he failed to make it. Speaks volumes of how shit he is going.

Pecking order for fullback:

Slater
Inglis
Milford
Boyd
(Barba - would love to hear the proposed alternatives)

Need at least 4 injuries before Barba is in the frame

Pecking order for 4 x centres/wing:

Hodges
Inglis (assuming Slater is fit)
Boyd
Chambers

Gagai
Copley
(I think - if two of Hodges/Inglis/Slater were ruled out)
Chris McQueen
Aiden Guerra
Gillett

(if another preferred outside back goes down, then would they look to:)

Edrick Lee
Tautau Moga

Need 6-7 injuires before we get to Corey Thompson

(and if there's a plane that goes down on the way back from game 2)
Corey Thompson
Valentime Holmes
Lachlan Maranta

The fact Thompson is there doesn't bear reference to who's more likely to be selected in the Origin squad.

I don't know if this supports my argument or hurts it lol.

I don't think you can really count McQueen, Guerra or Gillett to play Wing/Centre seeing as though they are all second rowers. I realise McQueen has played plenty of wing, but he wouldn't be picked there at origin level.

I reckon they'd go McQueen/Guerra/Gillett in the centres over blooding the likes of Edrick Lee/Moga.

What about Michael Morgan? He's also ahead of Barba.

I'd definitely have O'Neill ahead of Thompson on the wing. He's a worthless centre, but pretty good winger.

Nene MacDonald is a lot more promising too, I'd have him over Holmes as well.

Hopefully Edrick Lee goes uninjured too, I think he should be awesome.

So yeah, Thompson is kind of a pointless pick, but who really cares.

Last edited:

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Totally Unr3al
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.