Pre-season

Where did Keenan say it?

Again I only saw Darius say it once and it was in reference to negative comments and how players need to find balance. Football can't be everything and it's a point a lot of senior players make. The reason why it gained any traction is because of how Fox framed it and because it's Darius.
AND the slight issue that the experienced, big named player on huge money, who said it had a demonstrable history of not giving a **** on the field for the club that he supposedly led...

I watched the whole interview.
He didn't say footys not everything? I don't care about the rest of the interview, he said those words did he not? Are you telepathic or an expert on body language? These players saying it shows their mentality, yes he was injured but he should be saying how he hated seeing the boys lose and that he was chomping at the bit to get back out there to help the boys win and he missed footy so much.
I don't think Keenan is as bad as some others judging by that interview, but the fact a player who debuted LAST YEAR has already got the mindset that there's more to life then fppty shows the mentality of the squad. If I was a few games into my NRL career my life would be footy! The good players and squads have intent and drive to win no matter what and don't de-priorise footy when it's getting too hard ffs.
Go and listen to Sandor Earl’s podcast with Bloke in a Bar. I think you’ll appreciate the mindset differences between what our squad has and what others have...

AND the slight issue that the experienced, big named player on huge money, who said it had a demonstrable history of not giving a **** on the field for the club that he supposedly led...
Yeah, UB already brought this up, it's been covered.

It's just a game obviously means something very different to a Billy Slater as opposed to a Darius Boyd.

I'd imagine it would considering one of them desperately needed help to get their life in order because football was their obsession.

Yeah, UB already brought this up, it's been covered.

I'd imagine it would considering one of them desperately needed help to get their life in order because football was their obsession.

I'm sure you know how to quote a person as intended.

One didn't potentially destroy their home life by cheating though. I think football obession was mutual in this instance.

I'm sure you know how to quote a person as intended.
Actually just learned how easy multi-quote is nowadays. It used to be a pain which is why I never used it.

One didn't potentially destroy their home life by cheating though. I think football obession was mutual in this instance.
Okay, so what's Slater got to do with Boyd then?

Last edited:
Actually just learned how easy multi-quote is nowadays. It used to be a pain which is why I never used it.

Okay, so what's Slater got to do with Boyd then?

Slater is exemplary, Boyd is embarrassing.

Football was Billy's obsession too, but he never used it as an excuse for something as despicable, win or lose, as cheating on his spouse.

Slater is exemplary, Boyd is embarrassing.

Football was Billy's obsession too, but he never used it as an excuse for something as despicable, win or lose, as cheating on his spouse.
Boyd's issues ran deeper and he never exclusively blamed football, just mentioned that finding balance helped him become a better person. It showed in his football too, until his body gave out on him.

Boyd isn't the first or last player to point out how important it was for him to find a life outside of football. It's why the NRL made it a point for all the NYC players to either study, work or do an apprenticeship.

Boyd's issues ran deeper and he never exclusively blamed football, just mentioned that finding balance helped him become a better person. It showed in his football too, until his body gave out on him.

Boyd isn't the first or last player to point out how important it was for him to find a life outside of football. It's why the NRL made it a point for all the NYC players to either study, work or do an apprenticeship.

Couldn't even discuss his infidelity in his book honestly. He's a phony.

Boyd is pointing this shit out in retrospect. Having won a comp or two, having no family. When footy was his full focus.

Would he have succeeded with that mindset previously? **** no.

Couldn't even discuss his infidelity in his book honestly. He's a phony.

Boyd is pointing this shit out in retrospect. Having won a comp or two, having no family. When footy was his full focus.

Would he have succeeded with that mindset previously? **** no.
Who is to say? Maybe he would have been an even better player if he had parents who supported him at an earlier age?

Really Boyd's infidelity is neither here nor there, as is most of this Boyd discussion in a Broncos 2021 Pre-Season thread. The point is the players need balance, better players than Darius have said as much and measures were put in place to help players with life after football.

Didnt slater always have his horses away from football?

We only get 1 pre-season trial for 2021.

it will be against the Cowboys on Feb 27 at 7pm (venue TBC)

so how does everyone think we should handle the trial ...

i.e. do we go in with a full strength side to give the team some match fitness before round 1

or do we go in with a fringe side to give some of those guys the chance to press their claims for round 1

or do we go in with a mix.
I reckon that trial will be a test of whatever systems Kevie has working in defence and attack. I reckon he'll pick a full strength side and chop and change the contentious positions, not to decide who will play but to see if they can play the role given them further down the track.
That starting 13 I'd be pretty confident would be close to the round 1, barring absentees for injury and the like.

Who is to say? Maybe he would have been an even better player if he had parents who supported him at an earlier age?

Really Boyd's infidelity is neither here nor there, as is most of this Boyd discussion in a Broncos 2021 Pre-Season thread. The point is the players need balance, better players than Darius have said as much and measures were put in place to help players with life after football.

Better players than Boyd have also exemplified what is needed of a Broncos captain, and a Broncos player. Yet this is the standard we are left dealing with going forward.

Either way, 2021 is about moving on. Leave it at that, shall we?

Why are people still so fixated with Darius Boyd and some taken out of context statements about its only a game now he has retired?

Same reason they are 'fixated' on Seibs.

We are stuck ruing on the past until the present improves.

Obviously some here overestimate the damage Boyd did to the Broncos, probably some underestimate the damage he did too.

Why are people still so fixated with Darius Boyd and some taken out of context statements about its only a game now he has retired?
After one of the worst seasons by a club in NRL history which was experienced by a team that has almost never missed the finals. people are rightfully trying to explain why everything crashed and burned as bad as it did, and I think people are rightfully placing some of the blame on the captain who, if you give the absolute benefit of the doubt, experienced a horrific form drop when choosing to play on too long. I don’t have a strong opinion either way on the comment itself but to pretend to be surprised that it rubbed people the wrong way is playing dumb imo.

After one of the worst seasons by a club in NRL history which was experienced by a team that has almost never missed the finals. people are rightfully trying to explain why everything crashed and burned as bad as it did, and I think people are rightfully placing some of the blame on the captain who, if you give the absolute benefit of the doubt, experienced a horrific form drop when choosing to play on too long. I don’t have a strong opinion either way on the comment itself but to pretend to be surprised that it rubbed people the wrong way is playing dumb imo.
Dont think boyd captained this year

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.