Pre-Season

You mean when he was given the captaincy?

Shudda

I have mutual friends with Turpin and was told not too long ago how little he thinks of Kevvie, and the KW instructions was he wanted Turpin to be nothing more than a tackle-bot.
Bit of a dog move by Turpin to bad mouth Walters considering kevvies biggest selection error last year was continuing to pick Turpin.

Walters may have told him to tackle his heart out and coached out some attack from him but piss weak to blame him for his demise. His best attribute was his effort and intensity, how did Walters coach that out? Did he tell him to take his 3 or 4 runs at the complete wrong times, give poor service and pick the wrong options? I doubt it...

how did Walters coach that out? Did he tell him to take his 3 or 4 runs at the complete wrong times, give poor service and pick the wrong options?
If you saw that, why didn't his coach?

kevvies biggest selection error last year was continuing to pick Turpin.
What about favouring his son over Cory Paix? And not dumping Tesi Niu before round one? And best not discuss the bench.

Last 6 games turps only got on the paddock for half an hour. And our points f/a was better when he was on.

Jordan Pereira:

“We have two Queensland Origin wingers, in Cobbo and Oates, and I can’t play any other positions, so I will take the opportunity of this pre-season. I’m going up against two of the best wingers in the competition every day at training, so I am learning from them and seeing what they do that got them there. It’s great for me. I’m in a great environment, I’m a big fan of this club and when I do get my opportunity, the coaches show confidence in me and with that you believe in yourself. The coaches like the energy I bring and I am trying to bring that again this year.”​

What about favouring his son over Cory Paix? And not dumping Tesi Niu before round one? And best not discuss the bench.
Still Turpin, as covered in the Billy thread.

Still Turpin, as covered in the Billy thread.
I don't get the impression that Jake is stupid or disobedient, so if he was playing in a particular way I tend to believe the story that he was following the coach's instructions rather than going off on his own tangent. At the beginning of the season I thought Billy had a broader skill set and might bring some creative spark off the bench, but by season end, he didn't offer anything more than Jake, and on paper he provided less. Same with Cory Paix, really. They all seemed to be told to just get rid of the ball and tackle.

I'm not sure whether to completely or partially blame the coach, but it's not a source of compliments.

I don't get the impression that Jake is stupid or disobedient, so if he was playing in a particular way I tend to believe the story that he was following the coach's instructions rather than going off on his own tangent. At the beginning of the season I thought Billy had a broader skill set and might bring some creative spark off the bench, but by season end, he didn't offer anything more than Jake, and on paper he provided less. Same with Cory Paix, really. They all seemed to be told to just get rid of the ball and tackle.

I'm not sure whether to completely or partially blame the coach, but it's not a source of compliments.
On paper Billy ran more which got the team on the front foot and allowed the Broncos to play faster. Even when the team was struggling, Billy was still considered by the majority on here to be one of the better players. I don't think there's much seperating Billy and Jake, just that Billy suited the system better.

Why would Kev be completely responsible for Turpin being a mediocre player? He's been coached by Bellamy, Bennett and Seibs at a certain point he has to accept responsibility. Just like Kev has to accept responsibility for the fade out in '22.

Jordan Pereira:

“We have two Queensland Origin wingers, in Cobbo and Oates, and I can’t play any other positions, so I will take the opportunity of this pre-season. I’m going up against two of the best wingers in the competition every day at training, so I am learning from them and seeing what they do that got them there. It’s great for me. I’m in a great environment, I’m a big fan of this club and when I do get my opportunity, the coaches show confidence in me and with that you believe in yourself. The coaches like the energy I bring and I am trying to bring that again this year.”​
I wish we had another half a dozen with the same attitude as Jordan. Desperate to play in the team, ultra keen to learn from his peers and no thought of sooking or asking for a release just because he may be further down the pecking order (for now).

On paper Billy ran more which got the team on the front foot and allowed the Broncos to play faster. Even when the team was struggling, Billy was still considered by the majority on here to be one of the better players. I don't think there's much seperating Billy and Jake, just that Billy suited the system better.

Why would Kev be completely responsible for Turpin being a mediocre player? He's been coached by Bellamy, Bennett and Seibs at a certain point he has to accept responsibility. Just like Kev has to accept responsibility for the fade out in '22.
Let me bullet the points you've made and see if I can unpick this:

1. There's not much separating Billy and Jake.
2. Turpin is mediocre.
3. The majority here consider Billy one of the better players.

Therefore, the majority here consider the entire team to be mediocre.

QED

The system created by the coach no less. Funny how he’s never really suited any other system.

you mean a system that suits Reynolds better ... yeah why would a coach ever do that, he should be creating a system that makes Jake Turpin suck just slightly less

you mean a system that suits Reynolds better ... yeah why would a coach ever do that, he should be creating a system that makes Jake Turpin suck just slightly less
What do you mean? It’s a pretty grand statement to make without any evidence to back it up. Reynolds sucked arse big time at the backend too mate.

The system created by the coach no less. Funny how he’s never really suited any other system.
He was fine at the Tigers, they just upgraded to one of the best dummy halves to come through QCup. Then as he was finding his feet and working alongside Harry he did his knee and struggled to come back from it.
Let me bullet the points you've made and see if I can unpick this:
You tried.

He was fine at the Tigers, they just upgraded to one of the best dummy halves to come through QCup. Then as he was finding his feet and working alongside Harry he did his knee and struggled to come back from it.

You tried.
At what age again? 27 or something wasn’t it? A child prodigy until injury cruelled him no doubt. Plus being “fine at the tigers” isn’t the compliment you make it out to be.

At what age again? 27 or something wasn’t it? A child prodigy until injury cruelled him no doubt. Plus being “fine at the tigers” isn’t the compliment you make it out to be.
He seemed to suit the Maguire system just fine, probably because it's similar to the Bellamy system and Craig brought him in after Billy came through the ranks the hard way.

He seemed to suit the Maguire system just fine, probably because it's similar to the Bellamy system and Craig brought him in after Billy came through the ranks the hard way.
By “the hard way” you mean he had to compete with a majority of players who far exceeded his ability?

Active Now

• Organix
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • eggstar10
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Bish
  • Xzei
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.